"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-17-2007, 05:39 PM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
That cat just wasn't hungry enough...
LOL!

Iíve said that before.....and DWís response? ďAnd heís not gonna be!Ē

Old 07-17-2007, 05:41 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Amen, brotha. The cats I herded back in those days got dry Purina chow and liked it or else they had to go find themselves a juicy little mouse.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:20 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Lightbulb Try another way...

I have added used cooking oil / grease to sawdust in a milk carton (it absorbs it) and used it to start my fire - but your gallons of it may need too big a fire! Get yourselves a bio-diesel plant, and make your car fuel.
Anyway, I think oil is an unhealthy way to cook food, as after one use the oil structure changes and becomes injurious to our health. Why not try yummy oven baked chicken and potatoes instead?
Old 07-17-2007, 07:54 PM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissian
I have added used cooking oil / grease to sawdust in a milk carton (it absorbs it) and used it to start my fire - but your gallons of it may need too big a fire! Get yourselves a bio-diesel plant, and make your car fuel.
Anyway, I think oil is an unhealthy way to cook food, as after one use the oil structure changes and becomes injurious to our health. Why not try yummy oven baked chicken and potatoes instead?
The reason I got my outdoor cooker was for deep fried Turkey. Brine it, inject it, and fry it. Itís the best Turkey Iíve ever had. Baking, grilling, smokingÖ.all are good ways to do a Turkey, but Iíve never had one better than when itís properly fried. Wow.

The outdoor cooker is also good for fish fries, seafood and corn boils, etc, but itís always number one for those Turkeys!

Also, as many people here have said before, fried food isnít bad, badly fried food is bad (sorry, I can't remember the wise DC member that said that, but it really stuck with me).
Old 07-17-2007, 08:23 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I also have to add, chrissian, that as long as we don't have a steady diet of fried foods, they are good. The biggest problem with fried foods is, as keltin said, poorly fried food and I have to add...TOO much of it. As long as we enjoy things in moderation, we can have all manner of tasty delights.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:28 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissian
Why not try yummy oven baked chicken and potatoes instead?
Do you remember what Crocodile Dundee said about Iguana?
Old 07-19-2007, 02:11 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin
... They arenít as picky as our indoor cats which, for some reason, believe they deserve caviar topped tuna served in a golden bowl three times a day...Spoiled!

You are funny, keltin! I had cats just like that, too! Now I have two rotten little dogs who, in addition to believing they deserve the doggie equivalent of "caviar topped tuna...in a golden bowl", also believe that a king size bed is the ideal place to sleep. They are spoiled, and we (DH and I) are suckers, lol!
Old 07-19-2007, 08:33 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Thanks for all the replies. We have dinners with about 20 adults and the same number of children after great days of fishing on the bay. If you have ever cooked for more than three people you know that using a small fryer is not the most efficient way to get dinner ready. You also can't fry a turkey in a small fryer. Since we don't cook with all the grease all the time I just wanted to make sure I was doing something right with storing my grease.
Baked chicken is ok once in a while but fresh fried flounder cooked for a big group will beat it any day.