"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-17-2014, 11:34 AM   #61
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Thanks. One more question, prefaced by a statement; we can get wild rainbow smelt in the spring, when they run. Are these approximately the same thing as anhcovies? My Dad once brined them in a solution of brine and brown sugar, then smoked them. They were fabulous. Would that be similar to Swedish anchovies?

Ok, that's two questions.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Swedish sprats are not smoked, but they are in a sweet-salty seasoned brine. They are called "anchovies" when in the barrel, but actually the fish used is a sprat. Sprat is an oily fish. I've only eaten smoked or deep-fried smelt. They are bigger than sprats, but it seems to me they were a tad oily (mind you, it was during the previous century I ate smelt).

Here's a link to some other ideas for using Swedish "anchovies."

Ocado: Abba Grebbestads Ansjovis - Anchovy-Style Sprats Fillets 125g(Product Information)

BTW, rainbow smelt are considered to be an invasive species in Ontario!

http://www.invadingspecies.com/invad...rainbow-smelt/

Old 03-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #62
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Swedish sprats are not smoked, but they are in a sweet-salty seasoned brine. They are called "anchovies" when in the barrel, but actually the fish used is a sprat. Sprat is an oily fish. I've only eaten smoked or deep-fried smelt. They are bigger than sprats, but it seems to me they were a tad oily (mind you, it was during the previous century I ate smelt).

Here's a link to some other ideas for using Swedish "anchovies."

Ocado: Abba Grebbestads Ansjovis - Anchovy-Style Sprats Fillets 125g(Product Information)

BTW, rainbow smelt are considered to be an invasive species in Ontario!

Rainbow Smelt | Ontario’s Invading Species Awareness Program
Smelt were an "introduced" forage species in the Great Lakes, to help feed the indiginous fish population. The lamprey almost wiped out the lake trout in the early 1900's, when they invaded via the St. Lawrence seaway. The smelt became very successful, to the point that people were netting them and filling pickup truck beds with them during the spring run, to use as fertilizer. We never took more than a 5 gallon bucket home, and used it to give us a smelt feed through the year. my Dad would freeze those we didn't eat immediately, in half-gallon milk cartons filled with smelt and water. We did that with brookies too. We had good fish all year long.

I thought that the people who used them for fertilizer were wasting what I considered a valuable food fish. I didn't know they were any kind of threat to the natural flora/fauna of the Great Lakes at the time. Now we have more dangerous invasive species around. But it seems that somehow, mother nature copes, and keeps things in balance. I just wonder how bad things will get before the balance is tipped too far to one side.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #63
Executive Chef

Quote:
I saw the recipe for Jansen's Temptation. It used the whole anchovy though. How would I use anchovy paste instead?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Palmiers to have as an hors d'oeuvre with drinks. Bought ready rolled puff pastry (defrosted if frozen). Spread paste not too thickly on pastry.

Roll both long edges of the pastry towards each other to meet in the middle. Brush a little egg down the centre to stick the two halves together. Carefully lift into a large baking tray (making sure it will fit in your fridge first) and chill in 'fridge for at least 30 minutes to chill.

Meanwhile heat oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6.

When ready to bake remove from 'fridge and slice in 1/2inch slices. Lay each piece on the baking tray, cut-side up, and brush well with the beaten egg.

Bake in the oven for 10–15 minutes until puffed up, crisp and golden-brown. Leave to cool on the baking tray.

Serve cold while still crisp with drinks either as a snack or as a precursor to the main meal.

Enjoy.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:16 PM   #64
Executive Chef

Quote:
The lamprey almost wiped out the lake trout in the early 1900's, when they invaded via the St. Lawrence seaway.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Henry I (King of England 1100-1135) is said by a chronicler of the day to have died from eating a surfeit of lampreys.

This has absolutely nothing to the subject at hand but you can take the woman out of history teaching but you can't take history teaching out of the woman!
Old 03-17-2014, 01:56 PM   #65
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Henry I (King of England 1100-1135) is said by a chronicler of the day to have died from eating a surfeit of lampreys.
Oh gosh, I remember reading that somewhere! No idea where or when.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #66
Executive Chef

i may have confused my sprats with my smelts. i love them all, i'm sure....
Old 03-17-2014, 08:15 PM   #67
Head Chef

vitauta... too funny, I googled all the definitions of smelts, spratts, anchovies and sardines this morning while reading this thread. Could I tell you the difference now? Nope. I do remember some names are interchanged (right or wrong) and one (or some) more a description of size than breed.

Whichever - they are all fish to me.

I like seafood and some fish, usually white mild (tilapia,catfish,sole,etc), I like salmon.

but if you are going to serve me tuna it better be out of a can!
Old 03-17-2014, 11:22 PM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thanks! I'm having a problem with the search function, also. I also posted the Norwegian Sailor Stew recipe, which Whiska tweaked beautifully, that uses anchovies. Can't search for the link. I am addicted to those potatoes. The leftovers are better the next day, btw.
Here's the link to the Sailor Stew. Whiskadoodle did a fantastic job of tweaking it (I think that is post #31/2/3/4 - LOL!). The layers of flavor in this dish are amazing, I need to make this again.

ISO: Norwegian Sailor Stew recipe
Old 03-18-2014, 12:10 AM   #69
Executive Chef

Quote:
Here's the link to the Sailor Stew. The layers of flavor in this dish are amazing, I need to make this again.

ISO: Norwegian Sailor Stew recipe
Thanks for posting your Recipe CWS. I admit I twanged it a bit and it appears you are not offended by my doing so.

We were just discussing this stew tonight over dinner. It Is fantastic. I think I made it in summer. What an odd time to make a stew. Must have been heat stroked or overly excited or something. I will repeat : I need to make this again. !
Old 03-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Thanks for posting your Recipe CWS. I admit I twanged it a bit and it appears you are not offended by my doing so.

We were just discussing this stew tonight over dinner. It Is fantastic. I think I made it in summer. What an odd time to make a stew. Must have been heat stroked or overly excited or something. I will repeat : I need to make this again. !
It had a flavour combination that haunted me for, three years?, while I was hunting for the recipe. I plan on making it again this weekend...I just need to pick up some of the ingredients. And, I will be doing your tweaks, including the lemon at the end.