Creamy Summer Squash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IcyMist

Sous Chef
I haven't tried this recipe, but looks yummy

Creamy Summer Squash

Ingredients:
4 small to medium yellow summer squash, sliced thin.
1 small onion, chopped fine.
2 medium potatoes, cut into small cubes
2 chicken boullion cubes
cornstarch
cold water
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup half-and-half

Directions:
Place vegetables in a medium sauce pan and add enough water just to cover the vegetables. Bring to a full boil and reduce heat, cooking until potatoes are tender. Add 2 chicken boullion cubes to water and stir until dissolved.

Next, make a roux of cornstarch and cold water and add to pot for thickening. Pepper and salt to taste. Add half-and-half until mixture has consistency of a chowder. Serve and enjoy!

Oh! That does sound yummy!
That be a good recipe to use for whatever squash you have that are ready to pick.

One question....how do you make a roux? sigh, I REALLY don't know how to cook!!!!

A roux is really basic.
It's where you put butter or pan drippings into your saucepan and add flour. Then you cook the flour for a bit over low heat and then mix in your cream, or whatever. It is used to thicken sauces or soups as well. Once you figure this one out, you'll make a lot of it! Often you'll cook onions along with your flour too.

Thanks jkath I really appreciate your explaining it to me. :) Actually have made it just didn't know what its called.....duh. :)

2 nights ago I read about the "marinades for grilling chicken" on another thread, and that night made chicken thighs, marinated in zesty italian dressing. Then, after roux-talking with you, yesterday, I made a pasta primavera kind of a meal, by making a roux (heavy on the Garlic Garni) with onions and lots of milk. Then I tossed in cooked penne. I put it into pasta bowls and topped it with the cut up leftovers of the grilled chicken, julienned baby carrots and the leftover peas from the night before. (They were cooked in a skillet with butter and more Garlic Garni.
So, thank you for dinner - it was great!

Back
Top Bottom