"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-14-2014, 03:30 AM   #21
Sous Chef
 
menumaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South West France
Posts: 588
I agree with Dawglover and Mad cook. I do mine the same way too, add milk, pepper and butter but I would leave out the salt seasoning if you are going to freeze batches ( you can add that later when you go to use them them) They are pretty well behaved have found and you shouldn't have a problem. One last tip, don't make them too 'wet' though with the milk/butter. They freeze better when 'firmer'.
__________________

__________________
Celtic cook

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:02 AM   #22
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,005
It has been my experience that the more fat the mashed potatoes have in them the better they freeze. Try using one of those make a head mashed potato casseroles as a guide. I also make and freeze twice baked potatoes with no problems.


Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes Recipe - Allrecipes.com
__________________

__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #23
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,297
Thank you all so much for your tips and suggestions. Aunt Bea, I'll check out your link when I get home this afternoon - heading out the door for the day now.
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:28 AM   #24
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
It has been my experience that the more fat the mashed potatoes have in them the better they freeze. Try using one of those make a head mashed potato casseroles as a guide. I also make and freeze twice baked potatoes with no problems.


Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes Recipe - Allrecipes.com
I was going to suggest those make ahead potatoes also AB. I do them every year at the holidays but never use any milk at all. I also bet they would freeze well.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:38 PM   #25
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Thank you all so much for your replies.

Kay...that's what I was thinking, that the milk would end up being funky and create a very watery thaw for just plain mashed taters as a side.

.
If you don't over-do it the milk doesn't make the mash watery (I use full fat not skimmed or semi-skimmed. And don't over do the mashing. if you use the electric mixer and let it go too far it will be like wall-paper paste!
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:46 PM   #26
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,297
I found that out the hard way many years ago! For many years now I've been steaming potatoes rather than boiling them, they don't absorb as much water. A potato masher and if needed, a very quick mix with the hand mixer works well.

I thawed a bag of the frozen mashed potatoes and had them for breakfast this morning. They were perfect, just needed a tiny bit more milk. I think the yukons were so fresh when I mashed them, they didn't need much milk. Not sure if I'd get that lucky with potatoes that have been hanging around the grocery store.

For drinking, I drink 2%, but for mashed I agree that full fat is best. I get a pint for them so there isn't a bunch of leftover milk.

Thanks again, all.
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:55 PM   #27
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I found that out the hard way many years ago! For many years now I've been steaming potatoes rather than boiling them, they don't absorb as much water. A potato masher and if needed, a very quick mix with the hand mixer works well.

I thawed a bag of the frozen mashed potatoes and had them for breakfast this morning. They were perfect, just needed a tiny bit more milk. I think the yukons were so fresh when I mashed them, they didn't need much milk. Not sure if I'd get that lucky with potatoes that have been hanging around the grocery store.

For drinking, I drink 2%, but for mashed I agree that full fat is best. I get a pint for them so there isn't a bunch of leftover milk.

Thanks again, all.
There's just nothing better than when an original poster (OP) brings a thread to a conclusion. Because of you, we've all learned something.

Thanks Cheryl!
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:01 PM   #28
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,297
^ Like.
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:33 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
There's just nothing better than when an original poster (OP) brings a thread to a conclusion. Because of you, we've all learned something.

Thanks Cheryl!
So true Kay. Most threads just peter out because everything that could be said has been. Then a new member signs in and finds it and starts it all up again. Some OP will post a Thank You for all the information and try to bring it to an end. But there is always that one person who has more to say and won't let it go.

Andy's post for "A tough piece of meat" is a perfect example.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:26 AM   #30
Head Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Inside the fridge
Posts: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
If you don't over-do it the milk doesn't make the mash watery (I use full fat not skimmed or semi-skimmed. And don't over do the mashing. if you use the electric mixer and let it go too far it will be like wall-paper paste!
To sum up, making mashed potatoes ahead of time to be frozen, then re-heated...you blend them thicker than if you were making them fresh for your guests in the next half hour, use full fat milk or sour cream only.

If I'm wrong...someone bail me out. Freezing mashed potatoes for ahead of time.
__________________

__________________
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
potato, potatoes

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.