Mushrooms Gratin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you. I know about panko - I will start using it when they make it whole wheat ;)
Whole wheat is also a flour so it's only insignificantly healthier than white is what I'm reading and hearing these days...it's whole grain we need. In fact, I just heard Dr. Andrew Weils say that on Dr. Oz's show yesterday. He is the author of the Anti-inflammatory Diet also known as the Wellness diet. He also said the same goes for wheat pasta...it's better to get a good quality white pasta and just not put too much buttery sauce on it....although fats are not so worrisome as flour and sugar.

Last edited:
TaxLady: I just used seasoned dry bread crumbs and sprayed them with buttery flavored cooking spray. It worked great.

Another use for the buttery flavored cooking spray is grilled sandwiches. Much less greasy.

Check out the ingredients on your aerosol buttery spray can. If you see petroleum toss it. I recently bought a can of spray olive oil from Trader Joe's and was shocked when I read that petroleum was an ingredient. I trashed the whole full can. I should mention it to them because that's not what I would expect from them.

It's better to buy an empty mist pump spray container and fill it yourself.

Taxlady...i just realized that I posted a mixed message above in post#41. I put flour down only minutes after changing my whole avatar thing to promoting flour power...lol...consistency was never my strong point.

Last edited:
Whole wheat is also a flour so it's only insignificantly healthier than white is what I'm reading and hearing these days...it's whole grain we need. In fact, I just heard Dr. Andrew Weils say that on Dr. Oz's show yesterday. He is the author of the Anti-inflammatory Diet also known as the Wellness diet. He also said the same goes for wheat pasta...it's better to get a good quality white pasta and just not put too much buttery sauce on it....although fats are not so worrisome as flour and sugar.

Yeah, yeah, I know whole wheat doesn't necessarily have any germ. I'm just too lazy to always write out "whole grain wheat flour". Technically, "whole grain wheat flour" is a subset of whole wheat.

I don't agree with everything Dr. Oz, or most nutritionists for that matter, have to say about healthy eating.

White or whole grain pasta and what kind of sauces you add are two separate things. Why would I want white pasta?

At my house we don't buy white flour or white bread. We actually prefer the flavour and texture of whole grain. I doubt you can find a better quality white pasta than the wonderful organic, whole grain, imported from Italy, pasta that we buy when we don't make our own. (Okay, there is another more expensive Italian, organic, whole grain pasta that's even better, but quite a bit more expensive.)

Check out the ingredients on your aerosol buttery spray can. If you see petroleum toss it. I recently bought a can of spray olive oil from Trader Joe's and was shocked when I read that petroleum was an ingredient. I trashed the whole full can. I should mention it to them because that's not what I would expect from them.

I always check ingredients, even at the health food store. No "buttery" spray at my house. :ROFLMAO:

Quote MollyAnne: "Check out the ingredients on your aerosol buttery spray can. If you see petroleum toss it. I recently bought a can of spray olive oil from Trader Joe's and was shocked when I read that petroleum was an ingredient. I trashed the whole full can. I should mention it to them because that's not what I would expect from them."

I always check ingredients, even at the health food store. No "buttery" spray at my house. :ROFLMAO:

I'm happy to say that my buttery spray (Great Value from WalMart) does NOT have petroleum in it.:chef:

I've been on the lookout for pump sprayers and will be buying a few when I come across them.

Last edited:

I looked for a food grade pump sprayer. I don't want nasty chemicals leaching into something that goes on my food. I could only find some that cost nearly $20 :eek:

For most of the places I might use a spray, I use a silicone pastry brush.

I looked for a food grade pump sprayer. I don't want nasty chemicals leaching into something that goes on my food. I could only find some that cost nearly $20 :eek:

For most of the places I might use a spray, I use a silicone pastry brush.

I got a couple of small spray bottles for water, not perfect but they work.

One for EVOO the other for canola.

Correction:

I messed up BIGtime and I apologize.
I said the ingredients in the Trader Joe's Olive Oil Spray
listed PETROLEUM...on no no....it says PROPELLANT
...very different indeed. Apparently propellant is
harmless and necessary for making the spray go.

And here I threw the whole can out...
My mistakes always come at a price it seems :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Vintage women.jpg
    Vintage women.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 166
When did you take that picture of us, MA??:w00t2:

What a shame you threw it out...... at the time, I thought it was surprising that TJ's would sell that.
I don't use a spray at all..just the old fashioned way with a few drops of oil on a paper towel. They may have improved the sprays now days, but they always left a gummy sticky mess on my pans, besides I don't like oil flying through the air. :huh:

I messed up BIGtime and I apologize.
I said the ingredients in the Trader Joe's Olive Oil Spray
listed PETROLEUM...on no no....it says PROPELLANT
...very different indeed. Apparently propellant is
harmless and necessary for making the spray go

And here I threw the whole can out...
My mistakes always come at a price it seems :rolleyes:

I will agree that propellant is necessary for making the spray go. But the harmless part isn't totally true.....at least for me. Propellant triggers an instant and severe asthma attack. It literally "takes my breath away" for a second or two. This means no Pam, oven cleaner (oh darn! :(:LOL:), hairspray, etc. Many of these products are now coming out with pump sprays, or I just don't use them, simple as that. As for the oven? DH bought me a self-cleaning one! :)

When I read my buttery spray, it occurred to me that might be the case. Guess you threw it away for nothing.

I'm glad you posted it though, because I haven't been reading labels lately, and it's possible that bad things may have escaped me. It reminded me to check when I decide to buy something new. So thanks!

You know, I often leave the buttered breadcrumbs off this dish and it is particularly wonderful that way too!:whistling

I e-mailed the Sesame Noodles & Mushrooms Gratin recipes to my Mom...why should I be the only one addicted in the family?

I finally can join "THIS IS HEAVEN!" club. I made a double batch tonight and it was every bit as good as advertised. I have some left and hope to have it for lunch tomorrow.

I about had a meltdown in the store when they were out of criminis...luckily they had some huge white mushrooms.

The second time I bought mushrooms, they only had white. I didn't really notice a difference in the taste, so I'll stick with white they are cheaper. :squeezing penny::LOL:

This trip will be to Sav-A-Lot so I don't expect them to have Portabella. Now that will be a splurge. I know they taste great. Much stronger than Crimini. The next WalMart trip won't be until 11/30 due to all the events and the holiday next week.:(

My splurge at WalMart will be two packs of Portabellas. One for gratin, one to saute in butter and garlic for a great main dish.

I felt bad about the white mushrooms because they were big enough for stuffing them and I had to mince Shrek's portion so he could eat them. They were beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom