"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #51
Executive Chef

Fully loaded potato skins! Try twice baked, but deep fry the skins first!

Old 08-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #52
Head Chef

Another way we like them is to peel, cut in large chunks, steam until just starting to get tender. Dump them on paper towels to dry off and cool for a while. Then, S&P and lots of olive oil. I toss with my hands (thus the cooling off mentioned earlier) and pop in the oven at 375 on a large cookie sheet, single layer, until a beautiful golden crispy crust forms and potatoes are soft and fluffy inside. Stir occasionally. It will be at least half an hour, more depending on how large you cut and how much water is in the potato that has to come out (thus steam instead of boil, which adds even more water). You need to use LOTS of olive oil because you basically are oven frying them.

I had these in Italy at a dinner in the Villa Medici in Florence in 2000. Besides the dinner performance and the company, these potatoes are the thing I remember about the meal.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #53
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

I love to make twice-baked potatoes. Make baked potatoes, cut them in half and scoop out the insides into a bowl. Make mashed potatoes and add in stuff like grated cheddar cheese, fresh chopped parsley, bacon bits, dried onion flakes, etc. Top with a little more cheese and bake at 350°F for about 20 minutes till hot and cheese is melted.

I also love to make these Greek-style lemon-garlic potatoes from Cooks Illustrated: What A Dish!: Greek-Style Garlic-Lemon Potatoes

I was looking for something I could do with 2 leftover baked potatoes. Would these twice-baked potatoes work with baked potatoes that have been in the refrigerator for 2 days?
Old 08-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #54
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I was looking for something I could do with 2 leftover baked potatoes. Would these twice-baked potatoes work with baked potatoes that have been in the refrigerator for 2 days?
Absolutely!!!
Old 08-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Yes, definitely!
Old 08-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I cut the up for home fries the next morning with a couple of eggs and some bacon or breakfast sausages.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:20 PM   #57
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Did anyone mention Loaded Baked Potato Soup? YUM!
Old 08-09-2014, 06:36 AM   #58
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Did anyone mention Loaded Baked Potato Soup? YUM!
How about loaded baked potato salad.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:25 AM   #59
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I cut the up for home fries the next morning with a couple of eggs and some bacon or breakfast sausages.

That's a good idea too, Addie. My husband loved steak fries. One time at a restaurant they only had baked potatoes, but they cut them in long strips and deep fried them for him. He loved them!
Old 08-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #60
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Bingo!! I do exactly the same thing, only I use my toaster oven if the oven isn't being used. I cut a thin slice off of each end. When I married Steve, he did that. Why? Because his late wife did it and so did her mother. I swear it actually seems to make a difference.
What temp do you bake them at, after the boiling step?

Tags
potato, recipe

Potato Recipes The rain kind of changed our plans so I made my coffee, and vegetated in bed watching TV and looking up some recipes on the laptop. Brunch was in my immediate future. I had one sm.-med. red potato left. First I was thinking home fries (lots of variations for those), then decided on a potato pancake. I got my guidance from Giada De Laurentiis on the Food Network site. I say "guidance" because I'm making it for one, so I've gotten used to winging it with recipes. I shredded the potato and squeezed out the moisture using a cheesecloth and put that in a small bowl. In a small fry pan I sautéed a small amount of chopped onion in a little olive oil and added 1 clove of crushed garlic to that. I added that to the potato along with a handful of grated parmesan cheese, salt & pepper, and chopped fresh basil. And, I had a small amount of grated cheddar and crumbled bacon I had used for a cauliflower crust grilled cheese, so I mixed that in too. No egg or flour in this recipe. I added a little more olive oil to the pan and then added and pressed down the potato mixture in the heated pan. After peeking at the bottom for doneness, I gently flipped it over. To my amazement, it flipped over perfectly. I slid it onto the plate when done and put it back in the low oven with my turkey bacon to keep warm while I fried an egg. Then plopped that egg right on top! Not only pretty... but delicious! [URL=http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/janetmillr/media/Potatopancake_zps233434ba.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag265/janetmillr/Potatopancake_zps233434ba.jpg[/IMG][/URL] Would love to seem some more potato recipes (potato skins, home fries, potato cakes, etc.) A little hint that saved a step when making home fries. I cut the potatoes up super little... added seasonings and grated onion... didn't have to par cook the potatoes. 4 stars 1 reviews