Old 12-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Try this and you will never make mashed potatoes any other way:

Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients:

2 pounds of new potatoes
cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino Romano cheese
2 tsp minced garlic
2 Tbs Premium Organic Extra Virgin finishing olive oil infused with the natural flavor & aroma of Kalamata olives
2 Tbs vegetable broth*
Salt and ground black pepper to taste

Instructions:

Place the potatoes in a large pot and add enough water to cover them by 2 inches. Boil the potatoes for about 15 minutes, until a paring knife inserted into a potato meets no resistance. Drain the potatoes, then squeeze them through a potato ricer into a bowl, discarding the skin.

Add the garlic, Parmigiano or Romano cheese, Amoretti Olive Oil and broth to the potatoes and stir until combined. Season with salt and pepperto taste.

Note: The vegetable broth can be replaced with the broth of the meat you are serving with the mashed potatoes, such as chicken broth, beef broth, turkey broth, etc.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #12
Executive Chef

I used a ricer for years. I always hated the lumps.
Recently i was presented a hand held masher. The same kind my mother had.
I boil the potato's, drain in the hot pot I boiled them in and mash with warmed milk and real butter. My wife likes to add a couple heaping tbls's mayo.
Then I whip them a bit more with a fork.
One pan, no ricer to clean and good.
I will never go back.
BTW. A few lumps do not bother me now. The simplicity overrides any need for lump free mashed potato's.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #13
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I boil my potatoes and use an old fashioned masher and they come out perfect every time. The potatoes are just a bit lumpier. I mash the butter in first, then stir in the milk.

I have made disgusting gluey potatoes when I used a hand mixer, though.
I have found over the years that the key to perfect mashed potatoes is to leave out the milk and use the boiling liquid instead. The milk is responsible for the occasional gluey texture.

Russet potatoes, peeled and boiled in salted water, mostly drained and mashed.
Butter, Mayo (yup - I agree it's weird but it's also awesome), a little dried mustard, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Add enough of the reserved boiling liquid to get the right consistency.

I also use an old school masher ;)
Old 12-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I have found over the years that the key to perfect mashed potatoes is to leave out the milk and use the boiling liquid instead. The milk is responsible for the occasional gluey texture.
I had gluey mashed potatoes when I was young and used my electric mixer or food processor for mashing the potatoes. Then I learned that those methods release starch from within the cells of the potatoes and cause the gluiness. For years now, I warm up the milk in the microwave and use a potato masher and they come out perfectly.

I'm sure your method is great, but the milk is not the source of the problem.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:

Butter, Mayo (yup - I agree it's weird but it's also awesome), a little dried mustard, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Add enough of the reserved boiling liquid to get the right consistency.

I cook for someone with a dairy allergy so I use the cooking water and smart balance for hers and butter milk for mine and they come out exactly the same every time.

IMO gluey mashed spuds stems from how you physically process them.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:25 PM   #16
Master Chef

I usually do the boil/drain/mash by hand (with my Mom's old masher). However, a while back I had something in the oven that needed more than an hour of roasting time. I was also roasting potatoes to go with dinner than night, so I tossed a few more in to use for mashed potatoes later in the week. Big difference in texture! The were fluffier and definitely had more "potato" flavor. I still boil and mash, but I do still bake for mashing later if the oven is going to be on.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #17
Senior Cook

I boil with the peeling on. Wife don't like the peeling and since she cooks most of the time she gets her way. BUT I get the peelings and fry them in butter or bacon grease or lard whatever is handy at the time. MMMM good. She peels with a knife instead of a peeler so knowing Im gonna fry them she peels them a little thicker for me.
I like my mash taters lumpy and mashed with a masher. Wife likes them creamy and uses a hand held mixer.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:24 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I cook for someone with a dairy allergy so I use the cooking water and smart balance for hers and butter milk for mine and they come out exactly the same every time.

IMO gluey mashed spuds stems from how you physically process them.

My boy in the profile pic has dairy allergies. He loves taters. We found dairy free butter and use almond milk to make his mashed potatoes. IT taste funny to us but to him it delicious.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:

I thought it was only my wife that put mayo in mashed potato's.
I like the idea regarding the boiling liquid. Do they get as creamy with water instead of milk?
Nutmeg? I never use it and I think I am missing out on something here.
Where can i get whole nutmeg? I don't remember seeing it anywhere. But I was not looking either. Do you use a plane grater for the nutmeg?
I see they have a container that serves as a grater too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I usually do the boil/drain/mash by hand (with my Mom's old masher). However, a while back I had something in the oven that needed more than an hour of roasting time. I was also roasting potatoes to go with dinner than night, so I tossed a few more in to use for mashed potatoes later in the week. Big difference in texture! The were fluffier and definitely had more "potato" flavor. I still boil and mash, but I do still bake for mashing later if the oven is going to be on.
We discussed this last time we had mashed potato's. Sounds reasonable that roasted potato's would retain more potato flavor and should whip up nicely.
Next time its your way! Thanks
Old 12-11-2014, 01:37 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Here's a link re: different types of potatoes and their uses:

Potato Types and Varieties - Harvest to Table

Tags
other, potato, potatoes