Roasted winter squash?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GaArt

Cook
I want to do some roasted winter squash..can I marinat them like I would a summer squash and roast them?

I don't know that I'd 'marinate' them like a summer squash - but here's a recipe for acorn squash that will give you a general idea -

ROASTED ACORN SQUASH W/HERBS DE PROVENCE AND HONEY

2 acorn squash
olive oil
2T herbes de provence
salt and pepper
2T honey
1T butter

Cut squash in half horizontally; remove seeds and cut a small slice from bottom so each half sits flat. Brush with olive oil, sprinkle with herbs and salt/pepper. Place squash skin side UP on an oiled parchment covered sheet pan. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for approximately 45 minutes or until flesh is soft. Turn cups over.
Melt honey with butter and stir together; drizzle over squash; return squash to oven and flash under broiler to lightly caramelize honey.

Baked Acorn & Butternut Squash with Almost-Curried Chicken

My recipe doesn’t call for curry powder – but it does use most of its component spices. The reason I use both butternut & acorn squash is that the former adds color to the curry, and the latter, when halved, makes an ideal receptacle for baking the chicken. Incidentally, if you prefer to prepare this dish in stages, the chicken curry can be made and the squash baked in advance.

4 Tbsp clarified unsalted butter
4 large skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1½-by-1/4 inch strips
1 large Spanish onion, coarsely chopped
1 small red bell pepper, cut into narrow strips
1 large garlic clove, crushed
½ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp EACH ground cinnamon, ground cardamom, ground cumin, ground coriander and hot red-pepper flakes

4 fl. oz. chicken stock
½ cup unfiltered apple juice
1 Tbsp tomato paste
3 acorn squash (about ¼ lb. each)
1 butternut squash (about 1 lb.)
4 fl. oz. heavy cream
½ tsp salt & freshly ground black pepper

Heat oven to 350°. In large heavy skillet, heat a Tbsp of clarified butter; add chicken; stirfry over fairly high heat until golden brown; remove to a bowl and reserve.

Add another Tbsp of butter to skillet and reduce heat to medium flame. Add onion, red bell pepper and garlic; stir-fry until the onion is softened & translucent. Blend in spices & hot pepper flakes; cook, stirring, over medium heat until fragrant. Stir in stock, apple juice & tomato paste. Return chicken to the skillet and adjust heat so that the liquid barely simmers. Cover & cook for 40 minutes.

Meanwhile, place the squashes (which have been punctured all over) in a baking dish and bake for 20 minutes. Turn & cook for 20 to 25 minutes longer, or until they feel fairly soft to the touch. Remove from oven; let stand until cool enough to handle.

Halve butternut squash; scoop out seeds & membrane; peel & cut flesh flesh into ¾-inch cubes. Add butternut squash & cream to curried chicken. Season with salt & pepper.

Halve acorn squash; scoop out seeds & stringy portions; brush cut surfaces with remaining butter. Place acorn squash, cut-sides up, in large shallow baking pan. Mound the hollows with curried chicken. Cover loosely with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until squash is tender.

Hey thanks guys.
I actually cooked them in the oven like usual, but I sprinkled them with onion and garlic and cinnamon.

the next day left over, I peeled the skin off and fried in butter. That was really good.
I sometimes french fry sweet potatoes, I think I might try the winter squash too.
But I will try those other recipes..
I need to eat more veggies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom