"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 03-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
My other favorite preparation, is the Hassleback Potato. Makes for a nice presentation, and if you layer in a little shaved garlic, and some cheese(something creamy) at the end, it's a one man marathon of crispy, yet soft potato-y goodness.
Hassleback Potato???

Old 03-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #12
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Hassleback Potato???

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...7&ix=seb&ion=1

best way to do 'em, just for the sake of uniformity, is to take two long bamboo skewers, and run them lengthwise them of what will be the bottom of the potato. . .slice, as think as you can from the top, going down to the skewer(the skewer acts as a guard from slicing all the way through), repeat until the potato is all sliced. Rub with oil, sea salt, even some egg white for really crispy outsides, layer in shaved garlic between every few slices, bake until roasty toasty, and golden. The iner parts will still be soft and flaky, a little cheese and finish with some fresh herbs and a drizzle of olive oil, and delish.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Ohhh! Potatoes Franconio! I do that all the time myself, from a famous and now defunct restaurant in L.A. (AKA potatoes franconia, not sure the derrivation.) And of course I'm in no position to argue authenticity or origination.

It's delicious and ridiculously easy to prepare too. Not fried but baked. Maybe roasted for those who want to argue terms...

I've seen versions of this recipe that don't mesh with your picture. Your picture is exactly what I'm referring to.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #14
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Ohhh! Potatoes Franconio! I do that all the time myself, from a famous and now defunct restaurant in L.A.

lol, no, they were doing Hasselback potatoes, just by another name. I hope that they were delicious, at any rate. Was the restaurant named Franconio?
Old 03-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Yes it was Franconio's. It was the same recipe. Your picture is proof. It's the same exact recipe, perhaps a signature item at Franconio's.

Hell, I don't have the entire history of cooking on my mind when I eat at a restaurant.

I can tell by looking at the picture that it's the exact same recipe. You know you have it right when the edges of the potatoes are browned and chewy. Put a whisk of butter on top, and parsley as your picture shows, and it's potato heaven!

I'm glad you shared this potato version with us. It's one of my most simplest and favorite ways to cook potatoes. Just slice them thin. The thinner the better, the thinner the more apt they are to brown on the edges. The crispy edges are the whole thing with this recipe. And it absolutely needs a butter whisking before cooking. To encourage browning.

I'm tempted to make them some time without skinning my potatoes. Some future day...
Old 03-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I can't take credit for that shot, all of mine are on the external HD, and not connected to the rig I am currently on, but they were the same. The potato just does wonderful, wonderful things, and is one of my all time faves to work with. My other favorite preparation, is the Hassleback Potato. Makes for a nice presentation, and if you layer in a little shaved garlic, and some cheese(something creamy) at the end, it's a one man marathon of crispy, yet soft potato-y goodness.
Just curious, where did you learn about Hasselback potatoes?
Old 03-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #17
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Just curious, where did you learn about Hasselback potatoes?

My mom use to do them,I remember them from when I was a kid. My mother was a Chef for years(a graduate of the Culinary institute of Switzerland), but these were always a "comfort" food, for her, and from what I know, it was a Swedish thing, my mother being Swed(I am Swed and Brit). The only difference, is my mom would peel the potatoes, I dont.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
The only difference, is my mom would peel the potatoes, I dont.
Excellent! I'd like to try unpeeled too! The best potato tastes are in the peel.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #19
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Excellent! I'd like to try unpeeled too! The best potato tastes are in the peel.
Not only that, but most of the nutrients are in the peel. Also, can't seem to get the right amount of crunch with no peel in this application.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
My mom use to do them,I remember them from when I was a kid. My mother was a Chef for years(a graduate of the Culinary institute of Switzerland), but these were always a "comfort" food, for her, and from what I know, it was a Swedish thing, my mother being Swed(I am Swed and Brit). The only difference, is my mom would peel the potatoes, I dont.
Swedish, that explains it. Danes like to make them for festive occasions. I think they would be even prettier with the skins on.

Tags
other, potatoes, steak