Old 03-14-2015, 11:28 AM   #11
Master Chef

Ugly but delicious

But some people can't digest them.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:33 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Sun chokes are not pretty--right up there with celeriac re: ugly vegetable.
That reference I posted, wherever there is a bowl of soup, mashed sun chokes, etc, are recipes attached to the pictures. Lots of ideas there for you to look at.

What do they taste like?

Old 03-14-2015, 01:20 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

One of the Rockefeller brothers was CEO of ALL of the hotels on all of the Islands of Hawaii. He was living on the Big Island and was married with two boys. He had a mistress and took very good care of her. When his wife found out about a year later, she went into shock. She found out because he wanted to invest a very large amount of their joint monies into Sun Chokes. That created a very BIG, BIG argument. That is when he came out and told her everything. She come over to Oahu and stayed at the YWCA home. I was living there also. She was in shock. How could she have not seen the signs? We sat and talked for hours. He wanted a divorce, she didn't. She tried to do all the right things. Like join a group for women facing divorce. Then one day she went shopping. She tried on a dress, walk out of the dressing room, leaving her own clothes inside. Then she walked right out the door. She was arrested for shoplifting. The headlines were not kind. "Rockefeller Wife Arrested For Shoplifting." Word reached her husband and he came over to get her. The last I heard, the divorce was cancelled and he decided his marriage was more important than his mistress.

All this drama from an argument over Sun Chokes. They must be a powerful food.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:29 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I have never seen them for sale, when I was young we used to dig them from around the foundations of old abandoned farm buildings.

From my hippie daze!

Euell Gibbon's Dill Crock | Kitchen Gardeners International

or you could roast them.

Roasted Jerusalem Artichokes (or Sunchokes) Recipe - Allrecipes.com
I like the idea of the dill crock.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:30 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Ugly but delicious

But some people can't digest them.
Yes, I've heard that they can be somewhat - um - anti-social! Fortunately they don't affect me that way.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:35 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I'm thinking of doing s/thing with the sun chokes and the petals of sunflowers...which are edible.
I knew marigolds (calendula) petals are edible and that sunflowers seeds are but had never heard that sunflower petals are. Interesting. If my sunflower seeds do well this summer I might look for recipes.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:37 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
They are nice made into a soup (chicken stock based) with cream added.

I guess you know about their flatulent effect!
Yes, but fortunately not for me. Anyway, I live on my own
Old 03-14-2015, 02:42 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
One of the Rockefeller brothers was CEO of ALL of the hotels on all of the Islands of Hawaii. He was living on the Big Island and was married with two boys. He had a mistress and took very good care of her. When his wife found out about a year later, she went into shock. She found out because he wanted to invest a very large amount of their joint monies into Sun Chokes. That created a very BIG, BIG argument. That is when he came out and told her everything. She come over to Oahu and stayed at the YWCA home. I was living there also. She was in shock. How could she have not seen the signs? We sat and talked for hours. He wanted a divorce, she didn't. She tried to do all the right things. Like join a group for women facing divorce. Then one day she went shopping. She tried on a dress, walk out of the dressing room, leaving her own clothes inside. Then she walked right out the door. She was arrested for shoplifting. The headlines were not kind. "Rockefeller Wife Arrested For Shoplifting." Word reached her husband and he came over to get her. The last I heard, the divorce was cancelled and he decided his marriage was more important than his mistress.

All this drama from an argument over Sun Chokes. They must be a powerful food.
I rather liked the story of the wife who found out about her husband's mistress and decided that she would let him and the mistress keep the house. Prior to leaving and in his absence she took a couple of packages of frozen prawns and packed them into the hollow curtain poles at the windows all over the house. It was a warm summer.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:05 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I rather liked the story of the wife who found out about her husband's mistress and decided that she would let him and the mistress keep the house. Prior to leaving and in his absence she took a couple of packages of frozen prawns and packed them into the hollow curtain poles at the windows all over the house. It was a warm summer.
I hope they were sunny windows!
Old 03-16-2015, 08:10 AM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I heard the author, Kathy Lette, said that she did this for revenge. It occurred after the married man she had an affair with ditched her, after he left his wife, and went off with someone else. She did this to the house they were about to live in.

Tags
artichokes