Pepper question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boiled peppers??

Why did you boil the peppers?Maybe that is why the salsa is not hot enough.
Have you ever used a Scotch Bonnet pepper? They are the hottest pepper. I bought some once because I thought they were cute. I tried to fry them and almost had to leave the house. The fumes really made me cough. I couldn't eat them.
I would wear gloves to handle the peppers and don't touch your face.

texasgirl said:
I am making my own salsa. I love the taste as it is right now,but, seems not to be hot enough for some of my extended family members. I am putting jalepenos and ceranos. I boiled them for about 15-20 minutes and then mixed them into the tomato mixture. What else can I use or do to make it hotter?

All I can say is...I don't think we have salsa in Georgia like the salsa ya'll are talking about! Ya'll are scaring the living daylights out of me! I believe I'll be sticking to the tame stuff in Mexicalli Grill!!! LOL!!!

I agree with everyone else, especially Zereh. Boiling the peppers is what is keeping the salsa from being hot enough. Fresh serrano and jalapeno chilies should be hot enough just as they are. I would check with your cousin and ask her what kind of peppers she boiled, dried or fresh ones. Good luck and let us know how your salsa turns out.

I am using the same as my niece, and boiling them as she does, and it did get hotter the longer I boiled them. I made more last night and I can't eat much of it without melting my mouth down. Let's see my nephew say it's not hot enough today!! :LOL: Thanks for your replies. That's what is good about this forum. Everyone has their different ways of doing things. My niece makes hers the way that her mil taught her to make it, as they made it growing up in Mexico. I will keep to her way as the hot sauce is very good in flavor and it doesn't have an ALL pepper taste to it.

Habarneros are hot but they taste totally different than jalapenos and serranos so you will change the taste of the salsa.

I have a freezer full of habs and jalepenos, and I am definitely going to experiment with boiling them to see if they are hotter that way.

Yeah I am very curious about this boiling thing as well. Can you ask your cousin what the boiling does? My gut says that some of the oils (which is whee the heat is) would float to the top of the water and then wash away making the pepper less hot, but by your experiences it does not sound like this is the case. I would love toi find out what the boiling actually does.

How long do you boil them for?

I will ask my niece,but, since there are so many different opinions, I guess you'll just have to test it out and see for yourself. I know what I was told and what I did and what the results were.

Last edited:
How long did you boil them for? I think I would like to try this as I have been having bad luck with jalopenos lately. They do not seem to have much heat anymore, at least the ones I get. If boiling does something to increase that then I am definitely going to give it a shot!

I'm with GB about losing the oils of the peppers when you boil them. Now I'm curious to know what the boiling process is all about.

I didn't time the first batch, but, I did last night and I boiled the peppers for 13 minutes on med-hi heat.

I'm waiting to hear from my nephew in law. He may wait until he talks to him mom if he's not sure of why it happens.

btw, boil them whole, with stems. Do not cut up or chop,until boiled.

Last edited:
TXgirl,
I once roasted the peppers, onions and garlic and came up with an incredible and tasty sauce.

Texas,
I'm not a HOT salsa person, but, many are..So, in my way of thinking, a TNT family recipe that works and gives you what your family group likes and wants, is the one I'd use. There are always many opinions but, use your own in this area. What is that saying? If it aint broke don't fix it:LOL:

kadesma:)

Back
Top Bottom