"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 04-26-2014, 11:01 AM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

They keep excellent! That's all I use anymore. No problems with freezer burn. I think the ones I buy are Gia Russo.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #42
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
All this talk about gnocchi had me making some this morning. I decided to have Spring Vegetable and chcken soup with potato gnocchi for lunch. Question: to freeze the rest, do I cook them first, or freeze them and cook them when I want to eat them?
Frozen them before to cook them. Make sure to do not put too many gnocchi in every bag and make it flat in the fridge, or you will have a gnocchi ball :)

Old 04-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #43
Assistant Cook

Thank you all for the warm welcome!
My favorite way to season gnocchi is:
burro e salvia
Warm some butter in a pan, when it melt down add sage leaves and fry until they become crispy (careful they burn easily). Add to gnocchi and enjoy....nice and easy!

My second favorite is gnocchi alla sorrentina, typical of Southern Italy:
Pour oil in a pan and add garlic, after 1 minute add tomato sauce and salt, cook for 5 minutes.
In a single portion clay dish (you can use a simple small silver "tray" for baking) put gnocchi, the sauce and sliced mozzarella. Bake it for 10 minutes.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Give this recipe a try sometime, Aroma. It's very tasty!
Baked gnocchi with bacon, tomato and mozzarella - Simply Delicious
Old 04-26-2014, 02:54 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Some of the store-bought are not frozen. I have seen them in Aldi's in the noodle aisle. They had gnocchi and tortellini. I have had the tortellini but not the gnocchi. I don't know how they keep without being frozen. Probably lots and lots of preservatives! The tortellini were delicious.
I buy the standard boxes of pasta. But every so often I want to go back to my childhood and head for the refrigerator pasta like the Noni's made when I was a child. And in there they have the freshly made gnocchi.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:09 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Some of the store-bought are not frozen. I have seen them in Aldi's in the noodle aisle. They had gnocchi and tortellini. I have had the tortellini but not the gnocchi. I don't know how they keep without being frozen. Probably lots and lots of preservatives! The tortellini were delicious.
Why would they need preservatives? Other pasta is just dried.

The stuff I have seen with lots of preservatives is the "fresh pasta" in stores.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:30 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Why would they need preservatives? Other pasta is just dried.

The stuff I have seen with lots of preservatives is the "fresh pasta" in stores.
I just looked at the back of one of my packages of Gia Russa gnocchi and you wouldn't eat it. There is all kinds of stuff in there. Of course, there might be all kinds of stuff in the frozen, too. I don't know.

Typically when there is moisture present you need preservatives. That is why (for instance) the bacon I make needs refrigerated, but the bacon they made way back when doesn't. No moisture.
The "fresh" gnocchi is the vaccum sealed package are soft, not hard like boxed pasta.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:03 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I just looked at the back of one of my packages of Gia Russa gnocchi and you wouldn't eat it. There is all kinds of stuff in there. Of course, there might be all kinds of stuff in the frozen, too. I don't know.

Typically when there is moisture present you need preservatives. That is why (for instance) the bacon I make needs refrigerated, but the bacon they made way back when doesn't. No moisture.
The "fresh" gnocchi is the vaccum sealed package are soft, not hard like boxed pasta.
Ah, I thought you guys were talking about dried gnocchi.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:14 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

I wonder why they don't have dried gnocchi... Too thick?
Old 04-26-2014, 06:57 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I wonder why they don't have dried gnocchi... Too thick?
I Googled dried gnocchi. I got to some forum where someone was asking about it. Someone else tried and said they weren't as big and they were very dense. He did however say that homemade, dried gnocchi held up to frying much better than fresh ones and that he would dry half his gnocchi in the future 'cause they were really good fried.

Tags
egg, flour, potatoes, recipe, salt.

Hand Made Gnocchi Hello folks, my name is Emilio and I'm new to this community. As my 1st thread I would love to share with you my gnocchi recipe, as my mother taught me many years ago.... All you need is: 800g/1 kg potatoes 1 egg salt About 350 gr flour 1 hour of time The first thing to do is to prepare the potatoes: wash them and, without peeling them, put them in a pot with salted water and let them boil (for making potato gnocchi I recommend you use the floury potatoes red). When they became soft enough, still warm, peel them, mash them and put them on a well-floured worktop.[IMG]http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21137&stc=1&d=1398090213[/IMG] Add a pinch of salt, flour and knead until you obtain a firm but soft at the same time dough. At this point add an egg and continue to knead until the dough is compact and without lumps. Note that the amount of flour needed is very sensitive to the potatoes variety used, so if the mixture is still too sticky and wet add some other flour. Now Divide the dough into balls the size of a fist, then start rolling them on the table to obtain the strands with a thickness of 2-3 centimetres. Begin to cut your gnocchi and put them down on a surface or a floured tray. [IMG]http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21138&stc=1&d=1398091069[/IMG] To give gnocchi their typical shape, if you don't have a threaded board as the one shown in the picture, you can use a fork. Just press each gnocco on its back and let it rolling on it. Let stand your gnocchi for 15 minutes, then cook them in a pot with enough salted boiling water and drain when they will rise to the surface. Prepare the seasoning that you like and dress your gnocchi. Enjoy your gnocchi!:chef::chef::chef::chef: 3 stars 1 reviews