"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 07-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
[snip]
So, to make a long story short, I just had to make a pot of beans.

[snip]It's good enough that I had to share it. Of course, if you decide to give this version of venerable baked beans a try, you have to play with it, and make it your own delicious version.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks for sharing Chief.

I understand your having to make a batch of beans. I just finished a ham and made a stock outta the bone & skin. Beans were the first thing that came to mind as to how to use it.

And I did play with the recipe as I always do. Beans are another one of those things that I never seem to make the same way twice. To many wonderful ideas (And some not so wonderful) ideas pop into my head while I'm making them.

Here's one you might want to experiment with.
A tiny bit of Fish Sauce.
Yeah I thought the same thing.
But I tried it anyway and it worked out surprisingly well.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Sounds delicious. I usually bring beans to a boil and then let sit for an hour before pressure cooking, but I'm going to try this method. I bet this would work with Cowboy Beans, too, if you don't have the pork lying around. Beans are one of the things pressure cookers do extremely well, in my experience.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Do you mean black pepper? I did add some black pepper. We eat pepper on almost everything! DH didn't eat the beans. I'm not surprised. He's like Mikey, he hates everything! But I took some over to my son's house and he and his wife liked them. They said they had never had baked beans made from scratch. After eating home-made, it's hard to eat canned IMO.
Carol; I did indeed mean black pepper.

Zagut; I don't currently have fish sauce, but have used it. I do have some anchovy past. I might try that in the beans. I have used it in tomato sauce, but just a little bit. It adds just the right flavor when used properly.

Beans are so versatile. Sometimes I make them with bacon, sometimes ham, sometimes with browned, ground beef. I[ve sweetened them with brown sugar, the afore mentioned maple syrup, blackstrap mollases, and agave syrup. Sometimes I like to add a little chilli powder to them. I've even made bean pie (came out tasting like pumpkin pie). I also love to make them savory, as in beans and pork, with cumin, onion, garlic, and salt. When good, smoky pork is added, that just takes them right over the top.

Can you tell that I like beans?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

When my kids were small I made Boston Baked Beans every Saturday. Started Friday night with the soaking, and then the first thing on Saturday, I would set them up in my bean crock and put them in the oven for an eight hour bake. Yum. Served with knockwurst and brown bread.

Tags
beans, molasses, onion, pork, pork butt, recipe

Now That's Some Pork & Beans! Last night, I was in the mood for a quick and easy meal. I purchased a pork but, bone in. I threw it into the pressure cooker with a large, crushed clove of garlic, salt, and a large, roughly sliced onion, and 2 cups of water. The roast was great, and I had all of this really nice broth left over, as the rest of the meal was comprised of home made Harvard beets, and VanCamp's pork & beans, doctored of course. So, to make a long story short, I just had to make a pot of beans. I added the bone that I had removed from the roast before cooking it just for such a purpose, 2 cups of dried navy beans, and enough water to cover by 2 inches. I put the lid on and brought the beans up to pressure. They cooked for 1 hour even. Talk about great flavor, I couldn't decide whether to use them as they were, or sweeten with a bit of brown sugar. I flipped a coin and the sweetened bean option won. I added 1/4 cup of dark brown sugar, 2 tbs. molasses, and just for grins, 1/4 tsp. ground cumin. I'm munching it right now. It's not as sweet as most baked beans, but has a rich pork flavor, and the cumin, just makes the dish. It's good enough that I had to share it. Of course, if you decide to give this version of venerable baked beans a try, you have to play with it, and make it your own delicious version.:mrgreen: Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews