"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 05-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #11
Head Chef

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I think I'll just make the rice ahead of time and keep it warm until time to serve it.

I had a rice cooker and didn't like it. Think it's somewhere in our garage or attic.

Thanks again

Old 05-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I found this doing a quick search on the subject. Think I will give it a try too.

OVEN BAKED RICE

1 c. raw rice (NOT Minute Rice)
2 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. salt
2 1/4 c. water

Measure carefully. Combine all ingredients in a 6 cup buttered dish. Cover and bake in a preheated oven for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Yields: 4 to 6 servings. This is a great way to prepare rice when having company. No stuck pan or overcooked rice, every grain will be perfect.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #13
Cook

I have never made white rice in the oven, but it's how I always make brown rice, and it's always perfect. This is Alton Brown's recipe which can be found on the web here: Baked Brown Rice Recipe : Alton Brown : Recipes : Food Network

Note: I usually omit the butter in favor of about a teaspoon of olive oil.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #14
Wine Guy

It's really no different than using a stovetop, but the trick is to boil the water before adding it to the rice.

1. Preheat oven to 375.
  2. Rinse rice until water runs clear, then drain.
  3. For every 1 cup of rice, use 1-3/4 cups liquid.
  4. Boil the liquid (you can do this in a microwave) and pour it over the rice in a dutch oven with a tight fitting lid.
  5. Bake covered for 35-40 minutes.
If you want something that's a little different, I've also used this recipe. It's more of an Indian pilaf:
Indian Baked Rice Recipe at Epicurious.com
Old 05-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I do make baked rice and it always comes out terrific.

2 Parts water or chicken broth, 1 part regular rice
a pat of butter
(salt) if you like

Bring liquid to a boil. Put rice in a dish with a tight cover. Pour the water in. Cover. Put it in the oven. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Maybe a little longer if you are making a larger quantity. I rarely get beyond 2 cups of rice for my standard serivngs.

The butter is just to make you feel like you did something, otherwise it really is just 2 ingredients. Pretty simple.

Let it sit Still Covered until serving time. Fluff it up with a fork and there you have it.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #16
Head Chef

do you ever do Basmati rice in the oven? I read that it doesn't always turn out fluffy. for tonight, I am doing Israeli couscous. Not wanting to experiment on guests.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Can't say, but probably not. I usually buy bulk white rice and brown rice. I think you're supposed to pre treat / soak Basmati rice before cooking to loosen up those grains and make it so they accept the liquid absorption process easier.

I'd say try it some night for dinner but not when you are having guests. Then you'll know for another time.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
do you ever do Basmati rice in the oven? I read that it doesn't always turn out fluffy. for tonight, I am doing Israeli couscous. Not wanting to experiment on guests.
I was going to suggest couscous. Recently I bought lemon and spinach from Casbah. You can add in the ingredients you like, like nuts, halved cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. Enjoy your dinner, Lyndalou. It sounds lovely.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Rice, liquid and seasonings in a covered dish. Bake in the oven 'til done. I've done it a few times for a specific recipe but don't recall the details of time and temp.

Frankly, experimenting with a new cooking process for the first time when you're entertaining guests is probably not the best decision.
+1 Amen!
Old 05-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #20
Head Chef

Our dinner turned out great! Our guests loved the chicken dish and the couscous was perfect with it. I made a chick pea and cucumber salad to go with it, and it tempered the heat of the dish perfectly. Thanks to all.

Tags
None