"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 03-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
Head Chef

Salmon & Orecchiette Pasta Salad

This is an easy & colorful salad to put together. I used a small piece of leftover grilled salmon, but canned will work too.

Cook 4 cups of orecchiette pasta in boiling water until al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water in a colander. In a large serving bowl, combine the pasta, 1 1/2 cups thawed frozen peas, 1 stalk chopped celery, 1/2 chopped red onion, 1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley, and 2 small cans salmon (or fresh cooked salmon). Whisk together about 1/3 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 1/2 tsp dijon mustard, & salt and pepper, to taste, in a small bowl. Pour dressing over the salad & gently toss. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Head Chef

If you're not a salmon fan or don't have it on hand, tuna is another way to go. I recently picked up Bumblebee's Albacore tuna in olive oil w/ sun-dried tomatoes. I'll give that a try next time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Albacore Tuna with sun-dried tomatoes & Olive Oil.png
Views:	246
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	17348

Old 03-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
This is an easy & colorful salad to put together. I used a small piece of leftover grilled salmon, but canned will work too.

I'm such a fool. I love summer pasta salads, I love orecchiette, but I NEVER thought about using orecchiette to make a pasta salad

Thanks Cerise!
Old 03-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
Master Chef

I use orecchiette for pasta salad all the time. My kids love small pasta or miniture food of any kind lol!
This sounds lovely Cerise :)
Think I'll go for fresh salmon!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
If you're not a salmon fan or don't have it on hand, tuna is another way to go. I recently picked up Bumblebee's Albacore tuna in olive oil w/ sun-dried tomatoes. I'll give that a try next time.

Cerise, did you see my post about the recall of Bumblebee tuna products? Might want to check and see if yours is on the recall list: Bumble Bee Tuna Recall Expands To 51,000 Cases
Old 03-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Lazzari View Post
I'm such a fool. I love summer pasta salads, I love orecchiette, but I NEVER thought about using orecchiette to make a pasta salad

Thanks Cerise!
My pleasure, Luca. I cook them al dente, & toss gently, so they don't break. I like orecchiette in pasta salads, because the little "scoops" catch the dressing (& and the little peas). The little "ears" look so pretty too. I add them to soups, as well. Enjoy.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I use orecchiette for pasta salad all the time. My kids love small pasta or miniture food of any kind lol!
This sounds lovely Cerise :)
Think I'll go for fresh salmon!
You're welcome, Snip.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
Head Chef

Luca, I also wanted to mention how much I love pasta & pasta salads. So much so, that I keep several shapes and sizes in clear jars - short & tall. There are so many ways to change it out, i.e. fresh mozzarella balls (boccocinni), fresh steamed & cooled asparagus in place of peas, adding fresh halved cherry or grape tomatoes, subbing the salmon with crab, shrimp or chicken, adding fresh herbs of choice, or a buttermilk (etc.) dressing. Have fun with it.

Spaghetti carbonara using orecchiette is another way to change out the pasta & make it your own.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:

Spaghetti carbonara using orecchiette is another way to change out the pasta & make it your own.
Yep, this is another common plague for us Italians pasta eaters & know-it-all
We tend to use always the same pasta format with a specific sauce. Which can be proper, but sometimes you just need to experiment a little bit...
Old 03-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
Cook

Hi all!

Another italian guy in this forum!

I think that carbonara sauce (my first thread is dedicated to it!) have to be used only with certain pasta's formats, like spaghetti or rigatoni. I like it with "mezze maniche": in fact, little pieces of guanciale enter into the pasta, and the result is fantastic!

I never tried to combine orecchiette with carbonara sauce, but I'll give it a chance!

PS: was my English understandable???

Tags
orecchiette, pasta, recipe, salad, salmon

Salmon & Orecchiette Pasta Salad This is an easy & colorful salad to put together. I used a small piece of leftover grilled salmon, but canned will work too. [B]Salmon & Orecchiette Pasta Salad[/B] Cook 4 cups of orecchiette pasta in boiling water until al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water in a colander. In a large serving bowl, combine the pasta, 1 1/2 cups thawed frozen peas, 1 stalk chopped celery, 1/2 chopped red onion, 1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley, and 2 small cans salmon (or fresh cooked salmon). Whisk together about 1/3 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 1/2 tsp dijon mustard, & salt and pepper, to taste, in a small bowl. Pour dressing over the salad & gently toss. Serve chilled or at room temperature. 3 stars 1 reviews