Wontons Wrappers and Egg Roll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
These are on sale at my local grocery store now. I'd like to try my hand at making something with them. Anyone care to share some of their recipes or ideas.

Sizzlin- Here's a link to a egg role recipe I posted a while back. (hope it works)..

http://www.discusscooking.com/viewtopic.php?t=6549&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10

As for the pot sticker wraps, depends on if you got the thick ones or the thin ones. You can make the obvious pot stickers, sui mai, wonton soup and I've even seen a chef on TV use it to make ravioli (though I've never tried this) Imagine it would work though. Hope that helps!

You can use them to make the obvious pot stickers or wontons. In addition to what htc said which is make ravioli's you can also make samosas with them. They are easy and make good little appetizers.

You make a mixture of mashed potatoes and peas and then saute them with a little curry powder and lime juice. Then stir in chopped cilantro and salt to taste and fill heaping tbsp in the center, fold and fry them. Serve them with a cilantro and yogurt dipping sauce (just blend 1/2 cup of yogurt with one bunch of cilantro, 1 jalapeno pepper (optional) and 1 clove of garlic. Dip and enjoy.

You can also make a version stuffed with cooked ground beef ( I like to cook mine with taco spices - some cumin, corrainder, chilli powder). Then cool the beef add some super fine chopped onions to it along with some freshly chopped cilantro and freshly chopped mint. Fill in the wrappers, fold into traingles and fry. Serve with a sweet sauce of your liking.

If their the circular kind you could make Japanese Gyoza.

Gyoza with Kaffir Lime Leaf
---------------------------

12 round wanton papers
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
150g pork mince
2 kaffir lime leaves cut into fine strips
1 long red chilli
1cm fresh ginger chopped
1 cup chopped white cabbage
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp fish sauce

Dipping Sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 long red chilli sliced, seeds intact

Place all the stuffing ingredients in a food processor and pulse until they are well combined and form a smooth paste.

Place a generous teaspoon of stuffing into the centre of each wonton wrapper. Lightly brush around the edges of each wonton wrapper with water. Bring the edges together and pinch to seal firmly, forming a crescent shape with a flat base. Once made, the gyoza can be covered and refrigerated until ready to cook.

Heat the vegetable oil in frying pan and when hot, add the gyoza, flat side down. Fry for 2-3 minutes, or until the undersides are golden-brown.

Add the water and cover the pan with a lid so the gyoza can steam. Reduce the heat and cook for 3-4 minutes. When cooked, the dumpling wrappers will appear soft and translucent.

Stir together the soy sauce and sliced chilli and serve with the gyoza.

Back
Top Bottom