"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 02-25-2009, 08:27 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Bonaire NA Food - Chicken Pastechis

I just returned from Bonaire NA where we scuba dive every year. I finally found a recipe for these wonderful little meat pies that the street vendors serve at Carnival. The filling can be either meat, chicken or fish. The chicken is my favorite.

Chicken Pastechis
Ingredients for the Filling:
4 limes
2 pounds of chicken (breast and thighs)
salt
pepper
poultry seasoning
1 cup minced onion

Procedure for the Filling:
Rub the chicken pieces with the lime juice. Season with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Add minced onion. Let marinate for several hours. Arrange pieces in a shallow baking dish. Brown the chicken under a broiler, then bake at 350F for one hour.

Dough Ingredients:
6 cups flour sifted
3 heaping Tablespoons of butter
3 heaping Tablespoons of shortening
1 1/2 Tablespoons of salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup water.
Procedure for making Dough:
Cream the butter, shortening, eggs and salt. Add 2 cups of the sifted flour to the creamed mixture. Add, a little at a time, the 1 1/2 cups water. Continue adding flour two cups at a time until it is absorbed in the mixture. When dough is pliable, knead it well.
Roll the dough into a very thin sheet, cut out circles (3 inches in diameter) Place one tablespoon of filling in the center of half of the pastry circles. Top with the remaining circles. Moisten edges and press together. Fold the edges over and press with a fork. Fry until golden brown.
Makes 4 dozen
You can make in advance and reheat in the oven.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

We get these in Aruba as well. They're bigger than your version. The recipes vary.

They are a tasty treat.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

The Russian ladies at my church make wonderful meat pies also. They use tons of herbs in theirs and they are not fried. I need to get one of their recipes.

Tags
None