"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 09-21-2007, 08:45 AM   #1
Head Chef

Lightbulb Fake-Out Perogies - Rec Idea

I love perogies, but don't always have the time to make them from scratch. I have bought the frozen Mrs. T's that are pretty good, but a little too doughy. A quick idea...

Prepare mashed potatoes (or use left over mashed taters). In a skillet, saute finely chopped mushrooms and onions in oil. Combine onion/mushroom mixture with mashed taters - add in shredded sharp cheddar and/or cooked diced bacon (if desired). Place about a tbl of filling in a won ton wrapper/skin, and seal. Fry them up in oil - and voila - quick perogies. Serve with sour cream and more sauteed onions and shrooms as a main dish or a side (pork chops, apples & sauerkraut, etc.)

Old 09-21-2007, 11:23 AM   #2
Head Chef

Won Ton wrappers work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post
I love perogies, but don't always have the time to make them from scratch. I have bought the frozen Mrs. T's that are pretty good, but a little too doughy. A quick idea...

Prepare mashed potatoes (or use left over mashed taters). In a skillet, saute finely chopped mushrooms and onions in butter/evoo. Combine onion/mushroom mixture with mashed taters - add in shredded sharp cheddar and/or cooked diced bacon (if desired). Place about a tbl of filling in a won ton wrapper/skin, and seal. Fry them up in oil - and voila - quick perogies. Serve with sour cream and more sauteed onions and shrooms as a main dish or a side (pork chops, apples & sauerkraut, etc.)
Glad to have your advice. I watched a video done by the Frugel Chef where he tried commercial won ton wrappers side by side with regular perogi pastry. Seems like most of the won ton "perogies" opened at the seams. Any hints about this?
I've never had a peogie that I didn't like but don't always want to go through the pastry part.

Love them sauteed to a nice crispy texture - in butter and sauteed onion. How about you?

Old 09-21-2007, 11:31 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I've used wonton wrappers several times for ravioli. They stay closed if you use a touch of water to moisten the dough at the edge to act as glue. You also have to be sure there are no air bubbles trapped in the finished item as they will expand in the heat of cooking and cause a blow out.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:08 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cottrell View Post
Glad to have your advice. I watched a video done by the Frugel Chef where he tried commercial won ton wrappers side by side with regular perogi pastry. Seems like most of the won ton "perogies" opened at the seams. Any hints about this?
I've never had a peogie that I didn't like but don't always want to go through the pastry part.

Love them sauteed to a nice crispy texture - in butter and sauteed onion. How about you?
Same here, David.

You can seal them up with a pinkie dipped in water, I don't use an egg wash for the won ton skins. Keep a moist dish towel over the wrappers while you work so they don't dry out. Make sure your oil is hot enough. I posted a recipe for ravioli made w won ton wrappers, and as I mentioned in several of my recipes, gently press the air out. I have a plastic won ton gizmo - you lay the won ton wrapeer on it, fill, and press. Wipe away the excess dough, and you can use the pinkie water method to seal them up.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:39 PM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Wouldn't it be easier, and more authentic, to use prepared pie crust instead of wonton wrappers?
Old 09-21-2007, 03:49 PM   #6
Head Chef

Interesting idea - but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
Wouldn't it be easier, and more authentic, to use prepared pie crust instead of wonton wrappers?
Progies are filled, shaped, and boiled. Now, a yeast dough baked thing is a peroschi, if I have the transliteration correct. Maybe you just invented something? Don't know - Give it a try and let us know!
Old 09-21-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post

Recipes I've seen are closer to pasta dough than pie crusts.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:47 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I used to make "Lazy Man Perogies". The potatoes, fried onions, and cheese were layered between lasagna noodles. Very easy, and very, very tasty!!! I'll see if I can find it.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:06 PM   #9
Master Chef

you'd love being here in K.-----freezer cases are full of both prepared (which are delish!!) and frozen wraps that you can make up yourself. It's a national dish and it's spelled "Pirogi" over here. This thread is making me hungry, btw--:)
Old 09-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #10
Everymom

I'm hungry now too. I haven't made pirogi/perohe in ages. I may have to press gang my girls into helping and then we will have a freezer full!

Tags
None