"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-23-2006, 03:35 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
hey, i think we're getting a little backed up here. time to seperate the men from the boys, as it were...

how about a little greek soup called avgolemono. here's a link to a recipe: http://www.recipezaar.com/7602

or some greek boiguhs called bifteki: http://www.recipezaar.com/7602

PSSST Bucky....its the same link :)

Old 05-23-2006, 04:16 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

Greek Cookbook

If you are looking for what i would call one of nthe best greek cookbooks avaible it is a greek cookbook put out by the women of St. Pauls greek orthodox church.You could probably get a bargin on it at amazon.
These greek women have had this book out for years and there recipes are more of the traditional greek then what i would call the greek american palate. They have recipes for most if not all of the standards of greek food.

There is mousaka
pastichio
spanikopita
tiropita cheese pie
souvalaki
different salads and dressings like the yougart cucumber dressiing, garlic dressing,etc.
I cook all of these things in my own way but i can't give you exact recipes.They can and if you have any questions you can post and i would be happy to help you.

In fact for dinner I made one of my favortes tonight beet greens and beets with scordalia (garlic sauce). This is traditionally served with fried cod . I just love to have it.
Enjoy

mrsag

Old 05-23-2006, 06:19 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
2 other really good Greek cookbooks are

Greek Patries and Desserts
and
Greek Cuisne
both by Vefa Alexiadou
Old 05-23-2006, 06:33 PM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Not to ruffle anyone's feathers... but I thought the goal here was to encourage people to visit this site & all it has to offer & stick around, exchange ideas, and make some friends along the way.
Agree 100%

I think by now most people are aware of Google, and I don't think a little friendly back-and-forth to narrow the question is a waste of time. If a targeted link is later posted to assist or if a recipe with appropriate acknowledgement is posted... fine.

I took ironchef's initial response as somewhat dismissive rather than inclusive.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:07 AM   #25
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Not to mention my all-time favorite - Spanokopita. Even tho we're Czech, my grandmother used to make a kick-*** Spanopita strudel. It was a given that she'd bring it for the Easter dinner appetizer.
You don't happen to have the recipe for this, do you?

-- Cindy
Old 05-24-2006, 10:18 AM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
...I have idea why it's called a Borek. ...
Allen:

Borek means turnover. The recipe you listed has the filling wrapped in phyllo dough to make individual 'pies'.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:01 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Ok, thanks!
Old 05-24-2006, 03:35 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Here's a couple recipes I have. The first recipe, the Boreks, basically is the same as Spanikopita. I have idea why it's called a Borek. I got that recipe out of my culinary textbook in college. I've made it once, and it's great.

I got the Spanakopita recipe from somewhere else, and I can't remember where. It actually makes a small pie or tart. As much as I love Spanakopita, I'd rather have the big ones.

Remember My Big Fat Greek Wedding, where the two families got together for the first time? The one crazy aunt was talking about something weird, and had a spanakopita in her hand that was about 6" across. That's a good-sized one. The ones I made were only about an inch across, as are the frozen ones I get at work.

Spanakopitas
Greek Cheese and Spinach Pies
Serves: 4

2 T olive oil
6 green onions, chopped, optional
9 oz fresh young spinach, stemmed and rinsed
c cooked rice, optional
c chopped fresh dill, optional
c chopped fresh parsley, optional
c pine nuts, optional
2 T raisins, optional
2 oz feta cheese, drained and crumbled
1 - 2 t nutmeg
Pinch cayenne, optional
40 sheets phyllo (filo) dough
About 1 c + 2 T melted butter
Black pepper to taste

Heat the oil, then add the green onions, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the spinach, and cook, stirring, until wilted. Transfer to a bowl, and cool. When the spinach is cool, squeeze dry (this is best done in cheesecloth). Stir in the rice, herbs, pine nuts, raisins (if desired), and the feta. Add the nutmeg, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste.
Cut the phyllo into 40 6 square pieces. Cover the phyllo with a damp towel to keep the phyllo moist, as it will dry out and crack if left uncovered. Remove 8 slices, and, using a 4 cookie cutter, cut the slices into 4 rounds. Cover the phyllo rounds with the towel. Brush a 4 tart pan with removable bottom with butter. Place one of the phyllo rounds into the tart pan and brush with butter. Repeat this step five more times, for a total of six pieces of phyllo in the tart pan. Do not push the dough to fill in the ridges/riffles of the tart pan. Spoon of the filling into the shell and spread to smooth it. Top the tart with the remaining two sheets of phyllo, brushing each with butter. Fold excess phyllo over to seal the pie and brush with butter. Repeat this assembly process 3 more times to make 4 pies.
Bake on a cookie sheet at 350F for 20 - 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, and let stand for 5 minutes before removing from the pan. Serve warm.
Thank you Allen. The raisins, rice and pine nuts sound like a great new twist. A member was looking for a recipe...so I'll try to give them a link to yours. YUM. Thanks again.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:44 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Quote:
Here's a couple recipes I have. The first recipe, the Boreks, basically is the same as Spanikopita. I have [no] idea why it's called a Borek.
Borek (or actually Börek) is a Turkish term, which roughly translates as "pie" in English (hubby, who is from Turkey says there is really no English equivalent). Phyllo was introduced to the Greeks by the Turks during the Ottoman Empire rule. The recipe you have is probably from the Turkish version.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:11 PM   #30
Senior Cook

i notice that everyone's recipes for spanakopita uses melted butter for the phylo. i've always used butter for baklava, but olive oil for spanakopita. is this non-traditional? even if so, i probably won't change, 'cause i love a good virgin olive oil flavor, but i'd be interested to know all the same.

Tags
None