"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-29-2016, 09:39 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Hy-Vee and Fresh Thyme have them, too. Believe it or not, I even see them in Cub now and again.

Hmmm. Hy-Vee you say? I will keep an eye open for them!

Old 08-29-2016, 09:40 PM   #32
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Hmmm. Hy-Vee you say? I will keep an eye open for them!
Yeah, there are several here now. I can do a lot of damage in that store!

Old 08-29-2016, 09:45 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Yeah, there are several here now. I can do a lot of damage in that store!

We only have one here. I find stuff to be a bit more expensive than Walmart, but the store is clean and well laid out. Also quite popular.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:48 AM   #34
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Reviving a resting thread about hatch chiles.

Well, I had really wanted to try some. First we searched out 3 farmers at a market and ended up with poblanos and half sharp banana peppers. Blackened them over a flame, peeled, seeded, stuffed with cheese, wrapped in bacon. Delicious.
I don't peel chiles if I'm going to stuff them. Like you found out, it removes too much structural integrity. I love stuffed chiles, poblanos, jalapeņos, Anaheim type chiles (whether New Mexico Hatch or Colorado grown, they are equally good).
Old 08-30-2016, 11:01 AM   #35
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I don't peel chiles if I'm going to stuff them. Like you found out, it removes too much structural integrity. I love stuffed chiles, poblanos, jalapeņos, Anaheim type chiles (whether New Mexico Hatch or Colorado grown, they are equally good).
I agree. I stuffed some anaheims and a green pepper without peeling them for dinner late last night. I was too hungry to wait and do the extra work of peeling them. The anaheims were warm, heat wise. I really enjoyed the heat level, not too hot. I've had jalapenos that were too hot for my taste but other jalapenos that were just right. What a fun food peppers/chiles have been to prepare and eat.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:03 AM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Those of you that are stuffing should really try what Craig discovered. He uses a hand-held torch (like you'd buy at Home Depot) and chars the skin. Whenever he does chiles or peppers with the torch (versus oven broiler), they are stlil very firm and retain their structure and "meatiness," but you are able to peel them. Even my little mini kitchen torch for things like creme brulee does the same, though it takes a lot longer to do and doesn't char the skin quite as well as the full-size hand-held.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:28 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
hatch chiles are now available locally in Houston and I'd guesstimate in the south as a whole.......the local grocery stores will prepare them any way you want them (grilled, etc.) or you can take them home fresh.....now is the time to buy them if you want them fresh.........as we like HIGH HEAT in any of our peppers, I would not rate hatch chiles as hot at all......it's the flavor that's nice, but you're asking a person who likes really, really spicy/hot.........

Hatch chile season in winding down here. I nearly had heart failure this morning when I went to get my 6th (!) case of chiles. The roasters were gone. I went in and hesitantly asked the grocer if chile season was over. He said no, but stores in Taos will only be getting one more shipment of cases of chiles, at the end of the week. Here we can get chiles with 4 heat levels; mild, medium, hot and extra hot. At this point in his chile eating life, DH can only tolerate the mild heat.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Those of you that are stuffing should really try what Craig discovered. He uses a hand-held torch (like you'd buy at Home Depot) and chars the skin. Whenever he does chiles or peppers with the torch (versus oven broiler), they are stlil very firm and retain their structure and "meatiness," but you are able to peel them. Even my little mini kitchen torch for things like creme brulee does the same, though it takes a lot longer to do and doesn't char the skin quite as well as the full-size hand-held.
Yet another cooking toy! Great idea though.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:32 PM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Yet another cooking toy! Great idea though.
Well it does have another great use, it lights up the newspaper in the chimney for the coals for the gril REALLY well!
Old 08-30-2016, 03:19 PM   #40
Head Chef

I have a gas stove, I roast them right on the burner, standing there with my tongs to turn them.

I love having a propane torch, when my yet-to-be husband, shot a deer, took the hide off, he was pleasantly surprised that 'his girl' carried this most important equipment. It is used to burn off the hair from the flesh. And to caramelize sugar.

Tags
chili