How to Make Japanese Panko!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shinoni

Assistant Cook
Working in different parts of the world sometimes ingredients and foods are not readily available, here I will teach you how to make Japanese breadcrumbs no matter where you are in the world.Read completely before trying and please leave comments if you like. What you will need is the following

1. White bread
2. Oven or toaster oven
3. Cheese grater

1.Preheat your oven or toaster oven at 300F or ruffly 148C .
2. Cut the crust off your bread and then place it in the oven for 6-9 minutes
3. Take the thoroughly toasted bread and grate against the cheese grater.

Important Tips and Facts
Do not let the bread brown! it changes the taste and appearance of your panko.

Typically you can get 1 cup of panko from about 4 slices of bread.

The reason I use the grater in my method of making Japanese panko is that it gives it the coarse, larger crumb bits which makes panko have that unique visual and consistency that you may lose if you try other methods using a food processor to make panko.

This can be used for recipes for shrimp,pork,chicken.If your looking for a recipe or technique please comment. I hope you like and take care.

MIke

Hello It's Mike

Hello you can use any type of white bread for the process. Just make sure you follow the instructions and you should not have any issue with textures or tastes. I used Puerto Rican white bread, Kuwait white bread, and the results came out good. I know home made bread will work out fine cause my grandmother did so several years ago. I hope this answers your question. Happy Cooking!!

Mike:chef:

Believe it or not, instant mashed potato flakes, and I repeat, FLAKES (not buds or other forms) actually make a decent substitute for panko when used for breading.

You can't make panko from anything else but the specially baked bread from Japan. It's baked with electric currant and has a special light texture and doesn't absorb moisture.

Using any other bread is just bread crumbs.

Back
Top Bottom