ISO Spanish (Mexican?) Rice Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the compliment, but I realize every day that, the longer I live here, the less I know. The subtle flavors of Mexican sauces are almost always the result of unique combinations of dried chiles, fresh vegetables and fresh herbs/spices. Nobody writes anything down, and my spanish is now good enough to ask "how did you make this?" but not always good enough to understand the answer. I am having a wonderful time learning to cook the food I love.

Thanks for the compliment, but I realize every day that, the longer I live here, the less I know. The subtle flavors of Mexican sauces are almost always the result of unique combinations of dried chiles, fresh vegetables and fresh herbs/spices. Nobody writes anything down, and my Spanish is now good enough to ask "how did you make this?" but not always good enough to understand the answer. I am having a wonderful time learning to cook the food I love.
Hola Karecita, you gave me a good laugh. I too am learning Latin Spanish, in Panamá. I also have that reaction after asking a question in Panamanian: I am never ready for the machine-gun response. Sometimes I am helped by someone, but usually I work out what the answer is - albeit very slowly.

I envy you the cuisine you can eat every day. I love Panama, but the cuisine is fried, breaded and fried, and creole with garlic. I do not want to insult their food, but it is just no where near the wonder of Mexican food. There is no authentic Mexican restaurant in the entire country. Well, at least I haven't found one. I am lucky to have learned how to cook some of the basic dishes, having been born and raised a block from a Mexican Barrio. I lived most of my young life in California, which has a large Mexican influence.

Mexican Rice is difficult to make, but IMHO it is worth the effort. I am going to try Allen's version of making it into a meal unto itself. I frequently add a mixture of ground beef and ground pork into various bean recipes. So now I am going to try it with Mexican Rice. Sounds like I want to add corn to this one, which I never do with my rice - maybe peas, at the most goes into my rice.

Share one of your genuine Mexican recipes, please. Thanks Karen.

Saludos, Martín

I prefer to use my own homemade broth as well. Usually it's chicken broth.

Karen, I has several Supermercados near where we used to live in Tulsa. One of those is close to the Asian grocery store that I get shrimp from. I need to go there and replenish my supply of shrimp anyway, so I might just go to the Mexican place as well.

I'm not sure if I still have it, but for awhile, I had a small package of pumpkin bouillon cubes. All the labeling was in Spanish. I asked around (up in Michigan) after I got it, and a Mexican-American co-worker told me that it's usually added to beans.

But Allen, cooking with anything pumpkin brings slimy and sweet flavor. Let's hear it for a nice, serious sauteing or frying of any "squash". hahaha'

Marty (knowing I am going to incur the wrath of squash lovers. Pero no para mi (but not for me).

Remember, cooking is loving and wonderful (when you reply - haha again.)

Last edited:
After being awol from this forum for far too long(just ask my family!), I wandered back just now to try to find a good empanada recipe, when this thread caught my eye..see, I've also been looking for a great Mexican Red Rice recipe-something to ease my cravings for the rice from On The Borders...thanks to you folks, I've found some wonderful ideas to play with(who says we shouldn't play with our food?)...thanks!

Now, I'll wander over to the seach function for that empanada recipe....

Back
Top Bottom