"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 02-21-2006, 04:56 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Avacado Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil
...and tonight is one of them. My wife loves taco salad, and I make a good one. Here is what I do.
Brown lean ground beef, or sirloin with 1c. chopped onions, salt, pepper. Add about 3/4 c. water, 2-3 cloves minced garlic, 1 tsp. sugar, 2 Tbs good chili powder, 1 tsp. cumin, 1/2 tsp. oregano. You may want to add a can of rinsed pinto beans. I add a little wine, and cook till about dry. You need to buy some taco boats, somtimes they are hard to find. If not, use tortilla chips. For the fixins', we like white rice. If Texmati is available in your area, it is outstanding. We use chicken broth instead of water to cook the rice. We bake the taco boats till crisp and fill them with a little rice, taco meat, grated cheddar or jack cheese, and black olives, shredded lettuce, diced tomatos and cilantro. Top it with a few splashes of Italian dressing. I have sour cream, home made avacado salad as garnish, and, of course the main course, jalapeno peppers, and your favorite salsa. Hope you like it like we do.
Phil, your post sounds interesting. I am sorry I overlooked this one and would like to know about avacado salad. Could you share your recipe? Also what about burrito recipe? You have good one. Now they tell me they want burritos rather than getting at restaurant. thanks

I love Texmati, just recently tried it. Do you like their risotto?

Old 02-22-2006, 12:43 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

huevos moulenos - eggs motul style

I had this dish in Cozumel, MX

I put it on the brunch menu at a local 4 star resturant. People went wild over it.

Assemble the following:

fresh eggs
chopped virginia or mild ham
refried black beans (canned is ok)
queso fresca - crumbly mexican cheese - do not substitute
corn tortillas
your favorite salsa
frozen peas (optional - I left them off at the resturant - this does
make the dish authentic)

Warm 2 tortillas in a skillet - flip, spread thin layer of refried beans,
add one sunny side egg on each tortilla (eggs should be soft)
pour warm salsa on each
sprinkle ham, then cheese. then peas on each tortilla

to plate up - put the finished tortillas on a warm plate - ganish with cilantro and mango slices.

Old 02-22-2006, 08:48 AM   #13
Senior Cook

I'm not sure mine is a classic, but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
Phil, your post sounds interesting. I am sorry I overlooked this one and would like to know about avacado salad. Could you share your recipe? Also what about burrito recipe? You have good one. Now they tell me they want burritos rather than getting at restaurant. thanks

I love Texmati, just recently tried it. Do you like their risotto?
..I look for ripe avacados and mash them with a fork. I use minced green onions, fresh minced garlic, fresh lime juice, salt, a few minced jalapeno peppers, and a teaspoon of the juice from the jar of jalapeno peppers; cover with plastic wrap and let it set for a few hours in the fridg. Now here's a silly thing, but I like it. My wife is a texture freak. Sometimes if I'm having soft tacos, I take the cooked meat and run it through the Cuisinart. It just gives it a fluffy texture.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:49 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Phil

thanks for your recipe. Sound unusual so I will try it. You really experiment in the kitchen. Be happy your wife allows you to work in there. I am sure she is pleased with your efforts and I commend you both for it. As long as it works, that is what's important. Avacados are something majority of my friends stay away from. Hope I can have the success you have. Thanks again for the time.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:11 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Thank you, however..

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
thanks for your recipe. Sound unusual so I will try it. You really experiment in the kitchen. Be happy your wife allows you to work in there. I am sure she is pleased with your efforts and I commend you both for it. As long as it works, that is what's important. Avacados are something majority of my friends stay away from. Hope I can have the success you have. Thanks again for the time.
...I've been married for 39 years to my ninth grade sweetheart, and have cooked as long as we've been married. I used to get home before her and would start dinner. She doen't have the passion of cooking as I do, but she is a very good cook. We learned to cook together and know each other tases very well. She doesn't venture out like I will, though. I like to try different things in restaruants, while she tends to play it safe with things she knows, ie. chinese. We eat at the same place Saturday nights and she has about six entrees she likes. Just last week, I said you haven't ever had chop suey. I haven't eaten it in 40 years, let's give it a try. She went nuts over it. Couldn't believe she has missed out on it for all these years. Now, I'm a hero. What do I do next week?
Old 02-22-2006, 12:41 PM   #16
Master Chef

Phil, next you come out here and help me cook Mexican for 100 people (see my post in party planning).
Old 02-27-2006, 09:09 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Quizzie
Hey Dina... You are whom I am looking for. I need a good authentic recipe
for Tamales. My grandmother passed on with this recipe for the massa. I know the filling. It would be using a 5lb bag of massa.. She used to make them with raisins (yuk). Those I don't want to remember. "have you had them with raisins?"
Old 02-27-2006, 09:28 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Quizzie
South Texas Picco De Gallo

SOUTH TEXAS PICCO DE GALLO

1 large tomato
1 large avacado
1 med. red onion
2 ceranno peppers
1 reg jalepeno
1/2 cup cilantro
1/2 lemon
1/2 lime
salt
ground pepper

Dice your tomato's, red onions and avacados. Place in small bowl.
Dice your peppers into small pieces. Chop cilantro finely. Toss all ingrediants gently. (as not to bruise the veggies) Add lemon and lime juice (fresh is best) salt and pepper to taste.

This may be stored in a sealed container for up to 2-3 days in lower part of fridge. Enjoy all
Old 03-16-2006, 04:26 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Here's a fast and easy recipe: Sour Cream Chili Bake

1 lb. hamburger
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 (16 oz.) can kidney beans, drained
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (I use more!)
3 1/2 cups corn chips, crushed
1 1/4 cups sour cream
Cook hamburger and onion together. Drain. Stir in beans, tomato sauce, 3/4 cup cheese. Let simmer a few minutes, may need to add water as the chili cooks. Sprinkle 2 1/2 cups chips in bottom of 8x8 baking dish. Cover with chili. Bake @ 350 for 20-25 minutes. Removing dish from oven, spread sour cream over chili. Top with remaining corn chips and cheese. Bake 3-5 minutes longer.

Enjoy! Dakota Rose
Old 03-17-2006, 10:56 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Tostada de Frijoles Negros

A Mexican Recipe as Requested:

Cook a couple pounds of blackbeans with some chopped white onion, garlic, and during the last 1/2 hour of cooking 2 heaping tablespoons of chopped epazote (epazote lends a very traditional Mexican flavor to blackbeans). Season lightly and carefully with salt. Reserve some of the cooking liquid.

Place some cooking oil (lard is traditional) in a frying pan, some finely chopped white onion and saute for acouple of minutes. Add a couple of cups of mashed blackbeans and fry stirring often. When beans have been fried for a few minutes and begin to dry add some of the cooking liquid and whisk well.
Season with salt if necessary and keep warm.

Slice two medium red onions into rings and squeeze fresh lime juice over them. Crumble some dried Mexican oregano over the onions and
season lightly with salt.

Fry a few corn tortillas until golden and place on paper towels to drain.

To serve: Place some fried blackbeans on each tostadas and top with some of the marinated onions. Top with a little of your favorite salsa or bottled hot sauce.

Buen Provecho!

Bill Gibson
"aficionado de la cocina mexicana"

Tags
None