Naan recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Suthseaxa

Senior Cook
I thought I would share with you my favourite method for making naan without a tandoor. When it comes to bread, I'm not very precise; more of a "add as much as you need" person, but I shall try and translate it to amounts for you all. Here is what I use:

~250g very strong white flour
1 tsp yeast (the dried stuff for hand baking)
Optional: Kalonji seeds
yoghurt (I'm afraid no amounts here! Preferably room temperature and whisked)
a little water (just enough to dissolve the yeast)
Sugar (if you're in more of a hurry)

Gas flame
Tawa

Either dissolve the yeast in a little water and some flour to make a paste (leave overnight) or dissolve in water with some sugar until frothy.
Measure out the flour (sift if you want but I never need to) and add kalonji seeds if using (I like lots)
Pour in the yeast mixture
Add enough yoghurt to form a soft dough and knead for 5-10mins until your dough is nice and elastic.
Leave in a warm place for a few hours or at room temperature for many hours - I like to leave mine out whilst I go to work and use it in the evening!

To cook:
Split into smaller dough balls, enough for your naan and pre-heat your tawa
Let the dough balls rest a bit - treat them nicely :)
Roll out your naan dough until it is reasonably thin, but not as thin as a roti or chapati! You want it think or it won't stick to the tawa.
Wet one side and flip it onto the hot tawa. Wait until you see small bubble appear on the surface, turn the flame up high and flip the whole tawa over. The naan should stay stuck to the tawa (it will be top down the flame) and get nice and charred.

Flip it back over when the top is nice and brown and unstuck it with a palate knife. Spread a little ghee on the top if you want :yum:

Goes very nicely with some Punjabi chole or kebabs! You can also stuff them with meat, sweetened ground almonds or spicy potato.

Back
Top Bottom