"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #51
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I know your kids are also grown and gone now like mine, but it must have taken you ages to hold all those tortilla's open one at a time. I had boys who could eat a dozen at a sitting.

You're a better Mom than me Cheryl. My kids only got them Mom's way.
If all we were having was tacos, it would have! When we did our 'Mexican night' feasts, which was often, we'd have chile relleno casserole, refried beans, Spanish rice, and jalapeno cheddar corn bread alongside. If you're doing just multiple tacos, yeah....that may not be the way to go. Hmmm....now I'm having cravings....

Old 08-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Zhizara,

Have you ever tried freezing them after they are filled? I think it might be a good option for us single folks.
Thanks, Aunt Bea.

I hadn't made enchiladas in recent memory, but my experience with burritos is that they just don't reheat well.

I freeze taco meat and use that to make individual dishes.

I made a nice big batch this morning. I had a couple of crispy shelled tacos for lunch, and I have a small square of mac & cheese that I'll use for a taco mac dinner.

The rest will be repackaged and frozen for later.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:57 PM   #53
Head Chef

Thanks for suggestions regarding slow cooked pulled beef taco meat.

I went to the store and bought a 1.60 lb. beef chuck top blade roast, very nice looking, needs no trimming. Anyways, since I'm a newb at this, I think I might try this method.

The original recipe calls for 3 lbs. I'm using half that weight. If I'm halving the ingredients, what should I do about the cooking time? Halve that as well? Not sure.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:16 PM   #54
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The cooking time should not be changed.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:26 PM   #55
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post

I went to the store and bought a 1.60 lb. beef chuck top blade roast, very nice looking, needs no trimming. Anyways, since I'm a newb at this, I think I might try this method.

The original recipe calls for 3 lbs. I'm using half that weight. If I'm halving the ingredients, what should I do about the cooking time? Halve that as well? Not sure.
Normally, with a recipe like this, it would need the same cooking time for half that weight, but 5 hrs. seems like a very long time for 3 lbs of meat in the oven at 350 degrees. IMO, it should be ready in half that time. Here's where your cooking comes into play.
Have fun!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:30 PM   #56
Head Chef

She said 300F degrees, but noted. So it would be 2.5 hours at 300F for a 1.6 lb chuck roast. It's a test anyways, so not a big deal. I'll be cooking it in the next week or so and will try and get back here with the results.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:36 PM   #57
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
She said 300F degrees, but noted. So it would be 2.5 hours at 300F for a 1.6 lb chuck roast. It's a test anyways, so not a big deal. I'll be cooking it in the next week or so and will try and get back here with the results.
If you're looking for pulled beef for tacos, use a meat thermometer to check. At 195F it should be ready to shred.

Check it at 2.5 hours. If it's fall apart tender, you're done.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:39 PM   #58
Master Chef

Sorry, I miss read the temp. I would follow the crock pot option, if you have one.

It looks like a good recipe.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:12 AM   #59
Head Chef

Quote:

Good job Caslon. That looks like a pretty good way to go. I'm guessing your hunk of meat is about the size of a dinner plate and about an inch thick. I'd expect it to be done a bit sooner than 5 hours, but it won't hurt much of it does go over a little. One thing about chuck roast or pork butt is, as you already know, there's a lot of connective tissue that breaks down with long slow cooking. In the foil pouch there's nowhere for that stuff to go so your meat isn't going to dry out much. If you wanted to check it after 3 1/2 or 4 hours you could and just wrap it back up if it wasn't ready to shred everywhere but don't loose any of that liquid in the checking of it. By the way, even when it's done don't throw that liquid away. It'll have a lot of fat but under that fat is a sauce or gravy that would be worth the trouble and expense even if you threw the meat away.

Also don't be disappointed if you don't have any leftovers. Because when all that collagen breaks down inside the meat it looses solid mass. I'm not sure about chuck but I expect to lose about half the weight cooking a pork butt.

By the way, your cooking method is very traditional. In Mexico they might wrap it in banana leaves instead of foil. There's a conversation going on now in the Friday Night Delight thread about a similar Hawaiian treatment.

Enjoy

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:03 AM   #60
Head Chef

Package says "beef chuck top blade roast". It looks a bit on the lean side, not as much fat as seen in her "beef chuck" roast picture. I still gotta learn how to quickly fry up tortillas. I know, don't fry them up to too much that they won't fold.

Tags
None