Wasabi mayo cucumber cups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salt and pepper

Executive Chef
Wasibi mayo cucumber cups.
39817-albums371-picture5871.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Really cute.... cucumbers are on my grocery list again! I have another recipe I'll ;post later. With thin sheets of cucumber, spread some mayo/creme cheese, smoked salmon, roll up and a little piece of dill.

But I like yours with wasabi, maybe I'll add some to mine!

Thanks!

I bought some Wasabi powder a few weeks ago

I've used both Wasabi powder and Wasabi paste. I was very disappointed in the powder - no strength. Paste is far more potent. Let me know how it turns out - the little can of powder is still sitting in the cupboard gathering dust.

I've used both Wasabi powder and Wasabi paste. I was very disappointed in the powder - no strength. Paste is far more potent. Let me know how it turns out - the little can of powder is still sitting in the cupboard gathering dust.
I have never tried wasabi powder. What did you mix it with and how long did you let it sit to develop flavour? I seem to remember that when you mix mustard powder with water it gets hotter and hotter as it sits.

It was quite a while ago and I don't remember the portions but do know it sat for a while as I had made it for my son who was coming over. Think I even made it the day before. I kept adding and adding. Perhaps I should try again but once disappointed it really is hard to try a second time.

Actually it has been so long that I should probably just chuck it out! You know, best before...:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I'll have to look and see it the can actually has a list of ingredients - not something I ever looked at before.

Anyone ever use the actual plant? We used to get it at a specialty market. It is a much more pleasant taste than powder or paste, IMO.

Well, I tried paste but it only had a very small amount of wasabi and a huge amount of horseradish and just tasted of standard h/radish. The powder (Clearspring) seems to have more in it.

I got interested when I had a tuna, wasabi and pickled ginger in my favourite deli café. Tried to recreate it with the paste and it wasn't right so bought the powder and haven't tried it yet.

who knew!

I checked the ingredient list on my powder: horseradish, mustard, corn starch and yellow #5. This is evidently a common substitute for real wasabi.

On the paste tube: no listing. it must have been on the box which is long gone. I'll try to remember to look at a box next time I'm at the grocer. I'm under the impression it is the real stuff thou.

Came across interesting things while looking into exactly what wasabi is....
from Wiki...
** Inhaling or sniffing wasabi vapor has an effect like smelling salts, a property exploited by researchers attempting to create a smoke alarm for the deaf. One deaf subject participating in a test of the prototype awoke within 10 seconds of wasabi vapor sprayed into his sleeping chamber.[6] The 2011 Ig Nobel Prize in Chemistry was awarded to the researchers for determining the ideal density of airborne wasabi to wake people in event of an emergency.**
**Its hotness is more akin to that of a hot mustard than that of the capsaicin in a chili pepper, producing vapours that stimulate the nasal passages more than the tongue.**
**Because the burning sensations of wasabi are not oil-based, they are short-lived compared to the effects of chili peppers, and are washed away with more food or liquid. The sensation is felt primarily in the nasal passage and can be quite painful depending on the amount consumed.**

Here is the real thing, a root veg.
39817-albums933-picture5875.jpg
If safron is the gold spice, this is the emrald, @ &70.00 1/2 lb

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom