"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 01-30-2014, 12:24 AM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Great, so I'm discriminated against too, eh?

Are you using a "mobile device"? I'll try it on my work laptop tomorrow.
Nope, using my laptop. I couldn't find it by Googling. Either my Google-fu is missing or I wasn't motivated enough.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:32 AM   #52
Master Chef

I had no problem pulling it up on my laptop.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #53
Sous Chef

Me Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
My omelette secret is to finish it under the broiler on high on the highest rack in the oven until it's just set then fold it and plate. Always perfect doneness, slightly oozy and the broiler makes it puff up a bit.
I like the extra "puffiness"
Old 01-31-2014, 12:59 AM   #54
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Thank you to Craig C for posting the omelet video, and to Kayelle for reposting it. I didn't have any problem viewing it.

I LOVE omelets and think they are the greatest thing for using up bits of veggies and such. Once you get the hang of flipping 1/3 of it over itself and using the pan to flip over the rest of it onto the plate, it's really pretty easy. The main thing, as others have said, is to move the cooked part slowly to the center of the pan while allowing the uncooked egg to have contact with the pan as well.

If the eggs are still shiny and somewhat soft when you transfer the omelet to the plate, it'll be perfect after a minute or two and not overdone.

I might have to cook an omelet tomorrow. I have some leftover asparagus and roasted red peppers that are calling it's name.

Today I tried that...moving the cooked part to the middle. I still ended up having to put a lid on the pan because the eggs in the middle were not cooking even with medium high heat. Am I missing something?
Old 01-31-2014, 07:52 AM   #55
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Today I tried that...moving the cooked part to the middle. I still ended up having to put a lid on the pan because the eggs in the middle were not cooking even with medium high heat. Am I missing something?
Is your pan warped?
Old 01-31-2014, 07:55 AM   #56
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Is your pan warped?

Nope, not at all, and it's brand new.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:14 PM   #57
Master Chef

Quote:
You must like your omelets dry, I don't. Remember that like meat, it continues to cook a little after it's folded and by the time it gets to the table.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:21 PM   #58
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
You must like your omelets dry, I don't. Remember that like meat, it continues to cook a little after it's folded and by the time it gets to the table.

Good reminder! I'm going to try folding the omelet when it's slightly wet and see how I like it.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:37 PM   #59
Executive Chef

Quote:
Tonight I tried making an omelet with spinach and gruyere, and I ran into some problems. The grated gruyere disappeared into the egg and didn't have that yummy oozy texture. Also, the bottom of the omelet came out crispy. I used my Simply Calphalon omelet pan on medium heat with a little melted butter. I waited until the egg was almost completely cooked before adding the grated gruyere. Would could have gone wrong?
You probably over cooked the omelette. The ooziness is partly the egg. Chefs call it "baveuse" - a French word meaning runny or sloppy (disgusting eh!).

In Margaret Costa's "Four Seasons Cookbook" (1970) she describes how trainee chefs in France were taught to make an omelette. It involved cooking the omelette on a back burner of the stove and holding the handle of the pan with the front burner on full blast under the trainee's wrist. If the trainee sustained a burn on his wrist the omelette was over cooked!

A properly cooked omelette shouldn't be crispy on the bottom, it shouldn't be turned over to cook the top (unless you are making a Spanish tortilla) and it shouldn't be solid (ditto above in brackets)

Ultimate French omelette | BBC Good Food

and

Old 01-31-2014, 10:05 PM   #60
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
You probably over cooked the omelette. The ooziness is partly the egg. Chefs call it "baveuse" - a French word meaning runny or sloppy (disgusting eh!).

In Margaret Costa's "Four Seasons Cookbook" (1970) she describes how trainee chefs in France were taught to make an omelette. It involved cooking the omelette on a back burner of the stove and holding the handle of the pan with the front burner on full blast under the trainee's wrist. If the trainee sustained a burn on his wrist the omelette was over cooked!

A properly cooked omelette shouldn't be crispy on the bottom, it shouldn't be turned over to cook the top (unless you are making a Spanish tortilla) and it shouldn't be solid (ditto above in brackets)

Ultimate French omelette | BBC Good Food

and

I noticed that Jacques' omelet was browned on the bottom, so the pan must be pretty hot.

Tags
None