"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 02-06-2007, 08:50 AM   #241
Executive Chef

Same here, I leave my bread out on the counter in a plastic bag for up to six days, with minor changes in dryness. Maybe this is due to the shortened baking time, I believe we both eliminate or shorten the final 15 minutes of baking with the lid off. I am not precise in the baking temp.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:49 AM   #242
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I have had the exact opposite experience. My bread has remained perfect for many days after it was baked. You would not be able to tell the difference between my 3 day old bread and my 1 hour old bread.
Which is what I also posted, GB. Mine stays very fresh in a plastic bag on the counter. Which is very different from the baguette, although the makeup is so similar.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:10 AM   #243
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

I may be over baking mine, will take it out sooner next time. My crust gets so hard can hardly cut it. Not giving up, DH and I both enjoy it very much.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:00 PM   #244
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We've made it several times and have never had a problem with it getting hard. It actually doesn't last long enough I think. It's so good.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:06 PM   #245
Chief Eating Officer

I don't even store mine in a bag. I let it sit out. I tried it in a bag the first time I made it, but the crust ended up getting too soft that way.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:12 PM   #246
Sous Chef

I do not remove the cover and cook for an additional 15 minutes. It is a perfect "well done" color after baking for 30 minutes at 450. I let it cool and keep it on my counter with a tea towel around it.

Next day I place it in a plastic OPEN bag and it lasts fine.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:30 AM   #247
Master Chef

I'm thinking about making this recipe but I'm not sure if the pot I have will work. I have a large cast aluminum pot with a lid. The lid had a wooden knob for a handle on top and the pot was made to use over an open fire. I'm sure it will bake well but reading the recipe I wasn't sure if it would be a good substitute. It might be a good excuse to hit BB&B to look for the perfect thing to bake the bread in!
Old 02-09-2007, 10:24 AM   #248
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur
I'm thinking about making this recipe but I'm not sure if the pot I have will work. I have a large cast aluminum pot with a lid. The lid had a wooden knob for a handle on top and the pot was made to use over an open fire. I'm sure it will bake well but reading the recipe I wasn't sure if it would be a good substitute. It might be a good excuse to hit BB&B to look for the perfect thing to bake the bread in!
I think you could use you this pot, just cover the knob with foil.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:30 AM   #249
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
My brother used his cast aluminum pot, but he removed his knob and replaced it with a nut and bolt for this use. The 450-degree temp would not be good for the wood.

His bread turned out just fine.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:23 PM   #250
Head Chef

Well I finally did it!
At the age of 50, I baked my first loaf of bread
Gretchen, thank you so much for starting this thread. I made mine this weekend as per the original recipe with two minor modifications, both of which were recommended here on DC. One was to reduce the amount of water from 1 5/8 cup to 1 1/2 cup and the other was to increase the amount of salt to 2 tsp. I have to admit I had absolutely no confidense that this would work (I'm definately NOT a baker). I was so suprised when I checked the dough after 18 hours. It looked alive! I did use the cotton towels as per the recipe with no sticking issues at all. I baked mine in a cast iron dutch oven but I didn't have a lid. Soooo, I made a coller so to speak from aluminum foil and covered the top edge of the pot. Then I put a cast iron skillet on top of the foil as a lid. Still can't believe that it worked
Now that I feel a bit more confident, I'll be baking bread more often!
Man this stuff tastes good

Tags
None