NY Times bread recipe--what FUN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not one for baking breads and biscuits. Have not had much luck with dough or anything it that realm. I have done biscuits a few times and still trying to figure out what I am doing wrong there.

After looking at this thread and seeing something similar done on Good Eats, this is definately something I want to try. Looks like it would taste awesome and I can only imagine that making sammies from it would be devine!

First ... I gotta wait till it cools off a bit around here!!! Tooo dang hot and the air condition runs non stop.

Correction....I should list post #

I would like to make it simple for all to locate info:
1. my complete directions for New York Times Bread is post #195

2. a photo of my New York Times Bread is post #360

Aria

I bake mine at 450 with excellent results. I've been using KA bread flour exclusively but today I bought a bag of Gold Medal Harvest King Better for Bread flour. I'm looking forward to seeing if there is any difference. The GM was half the price of the KA. I'll post tomorrow after the bread is done.

Sedagive.

Well, I just tasted the bread and there was no difference in taste or texture with the Gold Medal flour. It came out kind of flat but I think its because I used a little too much water. Still very delicious and it cost me half as much to make. :)

Well, I just tasted the bread and there was no difference in taste or texture with the Gold Medal flour. It came out kind of flat but I think its because I used a little too much water. Still very delicious and it cost me half as much to make. :)

good for you, gold medal is what i use as well. i have even made it with store brand of flour. generally though it is no less expensive than g.m.

babe:chef:

I have been using $1.78/5# bag unbleached AP flour for my NYT from day #1. I made one loaf using Bob's Red Mill bread flour ($2.58/5# bag), and like you, noticed no difference in taste, texture, size, etc., so I see no reason to pay more if I'm not deriving some additional benefit for the money, regardless of how little the price difference is ($.16 difference per 1# of flour in this case, as I make my NYT bread using 1# of flour and 12.4 oz of warm water by weight).

Speaking of weight, I think a lot of problems could be resolved for bread bakers if they purchased an inexpensive digital scale, and started to convert their recipes to weight measurement rather than volume measurement. Using this method you are guaranteed repeatability which you will not get from volume measurements. I bought my scale at Target for $29.95, and it has proven to be my most valuable baking and cooking tool. I also use it as a postal scale, and for dividing meat and produce into evenly weighed portions for freezing. Its most frequent use, in the consistency category, is for making sandwich rolls and hot dog buns. 2.5 oz of dough makes a perfectly sized hamburger roll.

Many of us here use weight measurement for our baking, and would be happy to share our recipe conversions with you if you get a scale. My NYT recipe by weight is listed above, so you can get started immediately if you have a scale. The salt and yeast are easier done with measuring spoons rather than weight. Flour and liquids are the big culprits when it comes to inconsistency.

Lastly, when I get ready to bake, I cover my scale with a piece of clear plastic wrap to keep flour and/or liquids from getting inside and causing problems.

Sorry if I hijacked the post, but I thought this might help some folks.

JoeV

Last edited:
I have been using $1.78/5# bag unbleached AP flour for my NYT from day #1. I made one loaf using Bob's Red Mill bread flour ($2.58/5# bag), and like you, noticed no difference in taste, texture, size, etc., so I see no reason to pay more if I'm not deriving some additional benefit for the money, regardless of how little the price difference is ($.16 difference per 1# of flour in this case, as I make my NYT bread using 1# of flour and 12.4 oz of warm water by weight).

Speaking of weight, I think a lot of problems could be resolved for bread bakers if they purchased an inexpensive digital scale, and started to convert their recipes to weight measurement rather than volume measurement. Using this method you are guaranteed repeatability which you will not get from volume measurements. I bought my scale at Target for $29.95, and it has proven to be my most valuable baking and cooking tool. I also use it as a postal scale, and for dividing meat and produce into evenly weighed portions for freezing. Its most frequent use, in the consistency category, is for making sandwich rolls and hot dog buns. 2.5 oz of dough makes a perfectly sized hamburger roll.

Many of us here use weight measurement for our baking, and would be happy to share our recipe conversions with you if you get a scale. My NYT recipe by weight is listed above, so you can get started immediately if you have a scale. The salt and yeast are easier done with measuring spoons rather than weight. Flour and liquids are the big culprits when it comes to inconsistency.

Lastly, when I get ready to bake, I cover my scale with a piece of clear plastic wrap to keep flour and/or liquids from getting inside and causing problems.

JoeV

I have a scale... where is your recipe by weight?

JoeV

I have a scale and honestly don't know why I haven't weighed the water any of the times I've made the bread. I'm going to start keeping track of the water weight so I will know when I hit the weight that works best for me. Thanks for the heads up.

Sedagive.

I have a scale... where is your recipe by weight?

1# All purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon Instant Yeast
12.4 oz. Warm water

My flour comes out to just under one pound for 3 cups, so I have rounded it up to one pound of flour, then played with the water to get it right. I think it was 1T of additional water = .40 oz.

When using a digital scale, be sure to place your empty container (I use a lightweight plastic bowl for flour and plastic cup for the water) on the scale, then press the "TARE" button in order to zero out the scale. Do this with each different container that you use, as they each will weigh a different amount.

Joe

New York Times Bread

This bread can be baked in many other pans.

You will read about it in the original Gretchen Thread.

I bake mine in my crock pot ceramic pot. The different pans...different shapes. Aria

pots to use

I have finally settled on my favorite pot to cook this in. My clay chicken cooker. It's perfect, makes an oblong loaf that we like for sandwiches as well as slices for the toaster. That along with using my thin silicone baking sheet to place it on and then leaving it on that and just lifting it into the clay pot, it's perfect, no messy counter,cloths or hands. The only thing I could covet that might be better is one of those soapstone pots, but $100 is too much right now.

I've been using a round pot (left photo) to make my bread and am thinking of switching to a more oblong shaped pot (right photo). I don't know if the oblong pot is heavy enough and it is stainless. I'm hoping the oblong pot will keep the bread from spreading out and will stay more loaf shaped. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• cookware 001.jpg
    cookware 001.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 168
  • cookware 002.jpg
    cookware 002.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 158
I've been using a round pot (left photo) to make my bread and am thinking of switching to a more oblong shaped pot (right photo). I don't know if the oblong pot is heavy enough and it is stainless. I'm hoping the oblong pot will keep the bread from spreading out and will stay more loaf shaped. Any thoughts?

I have found in experimenting with different pots that the clay seems to give me a better crust and a more even bake than my aluminum Dutch oven. My cast iron Dutch oven worked really well too, but I needed that in the upstairs kitchen.

New York Times Bread

As mentioned in previous threads....this is the GREATEST RECIPE for making a hard crust bread.

And the pot...experiment. It MOST cases it works. Depending on the shape you want. Go for it. It is such fun. AND anyone can make BREAD.

bread pan choices

Even though I love this easy crusty bread, the method of cooking it in this Dutch oven is what I love. last night I made a 2 # loaf of currant bread that had milk, a little honey , a little butter,an egg, and it was a really nice dough. I baked it in the 450+ oven in the Dutch oven and it was lovely, with a great crust and soft on the inside , just right for the cinnamon , and currants I had rolled up in it. about 25 min.with the lid on was all I needed. I'm doing all my bread recipes in the covered baking dish.

this is the one I use, only mine's yellow. this one is for sale on an auction site

Attachments

• 161346172_tp.jpg
    161346172_tp.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 174
[SIZE=+2]
[SIZE=+2]you deserve a BLUE RIBBON for this post. excellent job, job well done and much appreciated.[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Wow. I tried to go back to find those pics, LEFSElover. I had to go all the way back to post #79 to find the step by step you referred to. Yes, job well done, subfuscpersona. Thank you.

This recipe always works. great bread.
Cook's magazine changed the recipe slighly and the result is even better than the original -:chef:
3 c flour1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons water at room temp
1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons mild flavored lager
1 tablspoon white vinegar
the rest of the instructions are about the same
makes a great loaf
instead of lager or beer, could I use soda water or sparkling water? I'm allergic to beer:(

Back
Top Bottom