NY Times bread recipe--what FUN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it is a mistake to not preheat the pan first.

The reason I wasnt going to do this is because I want the loaf to rise for the two hours (second rise) in the pan to shape it into the right loaf shape.

If this can be done another way then im all ears. This is my first ever bread bake as well, so I am learning.

If this is your first time baking bread then I would highly recommend following the instructions the way they were written. Don't worry about the shape of the bread. It will not affect the flavor. After you have made it once you will have learned some things and then playing around with it will make a lot more sense.

NO!! BEWARE of playing with this bread!!!!
I tried it once, after worrying about it for over a month that I would mess it up.
It's been 3-4 weeks and I had to force myself to run out of yeast so I will stop making (eating!) bread!
Just my 2 cents....
carry on. :)

So I think I added a little too much water to this as after rising it was too blob like. As in, it was just a really, really sticky blob.

But then I watched a video on you tube of this recipe and mine looked similar to his when he was tipping it out of the tray. Mine was still wetter than that one though.

YouTube - Making No-Knead Bread - the link posted above no longer works so here is one that does.

I was reading this thread yesterday and decided to try making this bread. It came out of the oven about an hour ago and is absolutely delicious. For some reason, when I took a picture of it, it looks wet and shiney on the inside but it isn't. I've never been able to get the big holes in my bread, but as you can see from the photo, I sure got the big holes this time. I will be making this on a regular basis from now on, in addition to the hearth bread I make from The Bread Bible.

Attachments

• nokneadbread.jpg
    nokneadbread.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 213
That is a perfect looking loaf Sedagive.

Thanks. I was a little worried because this is so different from the way I normally make bread, and the dough was so sticky and gloopy. But it worked out pretty well I think. I'm going to make open faced tuna melts with this bread tonight for dinner. I'm very happy!

I thought I'd play with caramelized Vadalia onions and no-knead bread.

img_632478_0_8331f21592645fc3e11c852efdab8151.jpg

I learned that if you put those 'buttery wet' onions on top of the dough before baking, that the whole top of the loaf becomes soft instead of crusty. It didn't seem to matter when I took them to a fly fishing functions this weekend in Michigan. This is what was left after the first of two evenings. No prisoners were taken, and we went thru two tubs of spinach dip and two tubs of garlic-herb spread, 1# of assorted cheeses and 1# of sliced pepperoni. I now also have a list of people to e-mail the recipes to. More no-knead disciples. LOL

img_632478_1_a9ba6a9fa44695c1dd8087a20d4f7a8b.jpg

Joe

On the printed recipe, it said to preheat the oven to 450 and then it says to bake it at that temperature, it never says to raise the temp to 500.

On the You Tube video, the guy specifically says 500 degrees, "even 515" he says in the video. So is it 450 or 500? 500 seems awfully hot. FWIW, I have it in the oven now at 500, I just didn't know what to do! What has everyone else done?

On the printed recipe, it said to preheat the oven to 450 and then it says to bake it at that temperature, it never says to raise the temp to 500.

On the You Tube video, the guy specifically says 500 degrees, "even 515" he says in the video. So is it 450 or 500? 500 seems awfully hot. FWIW, I have it in the oven now at 500, I just didn't know what to do! What has everyone else done?

I use 450 , and enamel dutch oven.

I have been successfully making this bread at 450 F from the start. With results like this, I'm staying with what works.

img_648389_0_d8b3f8361cb4ca8be25be5c6a161826b.jpg

Keep in mind that the video is being shot in a commercial bakery with ovens that have the door(s) opening and closing frequently, so the higher temp is needed to compensate for the heat loss. In the home kitchen you close the door and it stays closed for 30 minutes.

This bread is very forgiving, so don't agonize over the small details. At $.50 cents a loaf or less, you can make a lot of mistakes without going broke. IF you want the crust to be darker, just leave it in the oven uncovered for additional time. Above all, have fun while you're baking.

I do 500 with results that look like JoeV's. Like Joe said, it is very forgiving. It is hard to mess this bread up.

I bake mine at 450 with excellent results. I've been using KA bread flour exclusively but today I bought a bag of Gold Medal Harvest King Better for Bread flour. I'm looking forward to seeing if there is any difference. The GM was half the price of the KA. I'll post tomorrow after the bread is done.

Sedagive.

New York Times Bread Thread

It is great to read more members are "getting into bread making". It is extremely HOT and HUMID here now.

I Bake bread spring, fall and winter. I posted my complete directions on Page 20 of this thread for those of you that are interested. Happy Baking. Aria

New York Times Bread

My detail info on page 20 Good luck. Aria

I posted my complete directions on Page 20 of this thread for those of you that are interested.

Just an FYI, the page numbers can be different for everyone depending on how you have your account set up. For instance, I only have 10 pages in this thread. It is better to say what post number you are referring to instead of what page because the post numbers will be the same for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom