"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 11-20-2006, 08:56 PM   #61
Assistant Cook

I have proof positive it can't be messed up. I tried hard.
But to just comment on some things that have been said, and everyone can certainly do the recipe and adjust for themselves.
But,I think in my first post, I warned not to undersalt. I'm not sure if you could oversalt this.
Now to the amount of flour added. Yesterday through several mismeasurements and being in a hurry, I tested a lot of things.
One part of my sponge was VERY VERY wet. I probably added an additional cup of flour to get it to a point I could let it rise. I thought for sure it would throw the salt off. It didn't. The bread was as delicious as other loaves.
The towel is not a problem for me. Sorry it is for others. I will mention that there does need to be meal or something on TOP, even if you use saran, because that is the "face" of the dough that goes in the bottom of the baking receptacle.
Many on other boards are cutting the amount of water to 1 1/2C.
I also do NOT use a large bowl for my mixing or rising. I use a 5-6" square tupperware and it is neat to see the dough/sponge double in it--going up the sides.
I am finding that I don't have to bake the last 10 minutes at all--done and good in the half hour. I am baking in a clay cloche.
As for the towel again, others are saying just put it in a plastic bag and freeze it, like a pastry cloth. My cloths are not getting dough in them--use bran and cornmeal.
And if I haven't said it here, on other boards people are also baking their regular artisanal kneaded bread recipes using this method and are getting spectacular results according to them. High rise--crusty crusty.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:20 PM   #62
Head Chef

Alright ... I just pulled my loaf out of the oven and it smells wonderful (although, it is making a strange snap, krackle, pop sound ... ??? ). I didn't have the towel issue but then again I spread out about a cup of flour before I plopped it out. Then I patted about another 1/2 cup onto the top before I folded the towel over it. When I took the lid off the pot for the final browning, I was concerned it would stay white with all the flour on it but it really didn't. When I put it onto my cooling rack, I used a pastry brush to brush about half of it off and it looks like something I've seen in the bakery. Not sure, though, if it will affect it's taste. I'll let you know. The amount didn't seem to affect the rise or anything.

One thing I will note is that if you don't get it nicely into the bottom of the pan on the first plop, you don't have much time to get it neat. My pan is tall so that might have had something to do with it ... It was screaming hot and the dough seemed to get tight the minute it went in. Unfortunately, it was kind of folded weird and shaking didn't help much. As a result, the top is much more artistic than normal loaves I think ...

Old 11-20-2006, 10:24 PM   #63
Chief Eating Officer

JMediger, mine made the same snap crackle pop sounds too. It went on for a while too.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:51 PM   #64
Head Chef

Thank you GB, that makes me feel better!
I couldn't wait so I only let it cool for like 10 minutes and I had to taste it.

OH

My

GOODNESS

That's all I have to say.
Seriously.
I AM a believer!
Old 11-21-2006, 06:40 AM   #65
Assistant Cook

Alright ... I just pulled my loaf out of the oven and it smells wonderful (although, it is making a strange snap, krackle, pop sound ... ??? ). I didn't have the towel issue but then again I spread out about a cup of flour before I plopped it out. Then I patted about another 1/2 cup onto the top before I folded the towel over it.

Just RIGHT. Use as much flour as it takes to get it to the stage you can handle it. Very forgiving bread--as yeast breads are.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:49 AM   #66
Assistant Cook

[.

This is kitchenelf:

Due to copyright violation please follow this link to the New York Times No-Knead Bread Recipe. You will have to sign up but there is no fee and it's painless
[/quote]

This does take you to the recipe directly which is great. I guess if you sign up you can read Bittman's article and conversation with the baker who "developed" this recipe.
On another board there is a quote from a blog taking Bittman to task for ballyhooing this as a "new" way. Apparently ______(author whose name I cannot call) has a similar recipe in her book No Need to Knead. But as the discussion went, apparently she didn't "sell" the method because of many who were familiar with that book, they didn't remember it.

It is just such a fun and rewarding recipe.

The one thing the blog author disagrees with is that Bittman says he doesn't particularly like the cloche--the blogger does. And I do too. I have been meaning to try my LC, but just keep dumping it into my cloche. It is getting VERY black on the bottom from use!!
Old 11-21-2006, 10:41 AM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
As I stated "you will have to sign up". Once you click on that link, sign up, continue to bread recipe. It only takes you to the recipe if you are already signed up. Signing up is no big deal if anyone wonders.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:48 AM   #68
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
As I stated "you will have to sign up". Once you click on that link, sign up, continue to bread recipe. It only takes you to the recipe if you are already signed up. Signing up is no big deal if anyone wonders.
Oh, my bad. That was why it took me to it. Sorry. Didn't mean to mislead.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:05 PM   #69
Sous Chef

Links to Download the NYT No-knead Bread Recipe (includes photos)

This recipe, published by the New York Times on Nov 8, is so popular with DC bakers I put together 2 versions from the NYT article for those who might want them. Both versions are in Adobe Acrobat format and will display in your browser. (Most of you already have the Acrobat reader on your computer. If you don't, you can get it for free here)

Version one is just the recipe and instructions, complete with photos. It will print on one page. You can get it here

Version 2 has the recipe and instructions, complete with photos, plus the write-up by Mark Bittman. It will print on 3 pages. You can get it here.

You can print them and/or save them to your computer. Hope you find them useful. I'm off to start my bread!
Old 11-21-2006, 02:19 PM   #70
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by subfuscpersona
This recipe, published by the New York Times on Nov 8, is so popular with DC bakers I put together 2 versions from the NYT article for those who might want them. Both versions are in Adobe Acrobat format and will display in your browser. (Most of you already have the Acrobat reader on your computer. If you don't, you can get it for free here)

Version one is just the recipe and instructions, complete with photos. It will print on one page. You can get it here

Version 2 has the recipe and instructions, complete with photos, plus the write-up by Mark Bittman. It will print on 3 pages. You can get it here.

You can print them and/or save them to your computer. Hope you find them useful. I'm off to start my bread!
Thank you so much!!

Tags
None