NY Times bread recipe--what FUN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My cheese bread didn't rise well the second time. I don't know what I did wrong. It does taste delicious, even if it's not as good to look at.:)

I added a generous 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese to my dough yesterday. I did not have any cheddar in the house. I am about to awaken it from its long first rise. I also will try something a tiny bit different. I use an old cast iron dutch oven with a CI lid, but the lid does not go with the bottom and does not fit tightly. I will add a piece of heavy foil under the lid to create more of a tight seal, to see if that makes any difference in rising during baking.

bethzaring said:
I added a generous 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese to my dough yesterday. I did not have any cheddar in the house. I am about to awaken it from its long first rise. I also will try something a tiny bit different. I use an old cast iron dutch oven with a CI lid, but the lid does not go with the bottom and does not fit tightly. I will add a piece of heavy foil under the lid to create more of a tight seal, to see if that makes any difference in rising during baking.

On another board someone uses another CI pan for the lid to their "bottom" one.

I have baked breads for many years. This is the BEST. Gretchen I agree..it is very very simple. I have made it with Bread Flour using the exact measurements NYT recipe....perfect every time.

Today I made it with 2 cups of Bread Flour and 1 cup of whole wheat flour.
A slight difference in texture (not as holey). A bit darker. And a slight difference in taste.

I prefer the all white flour shape,texture,taste. I am now using the ceramic pot from my Crock Pot. I have a cast iron antique pot with cover my husband is going to sandblast for me...and H Wooldridge DC gave me some great tips on how to.

I also purchased an Emile Henry Poterie Culinaire ceramic pot with cover made in France. I am going to try this pot. All these pots have different shapes...want to make a selection of the shape I prefer for slicing.

GB amd Andy gave me an ok on the Emile Henry pot being ok for 450 degree oven. This is a wonderful,easy, BREAD recipe. Thanks Gretchen and all.

17 pages - well, didn't read them all, but great thread. My second batch of the bread is doing it's 18 hour step right now, will be ready to go about noon (six more hours....)

We ate the first loaf so fast, it didn't last a day! (and there are only two of us) Love the texture, flavor, just everything about it. Happy to use my cast iron dutch oven again - haven't used it for a while.

It is not difficult to eat the loaf in one day and yes with two of you. It is delicious and it is a SMALL loaf.

Yesterday I made mine in the newly seasoned Cast Iron Dutch Pot..H Wooldrige helped us with seasoning directions following sandblasting.
The loaf was wider and not as high. I think I will keep experimenting.

Making my Bread with my food processor makes a much larger loaf. Both methods are wonderful. Both easy. Different methods...make a different type of Bread. NYT a smaller holey loaf. Food processor more old fashioned homemade bread . Try both...it's fun.

Well, mine didn't turn out at all. It was very chewy and didn't rise like I thought it should have - and yes, the yeast is fresh. Any suggestions?

Half Baked said:
I sure don't have any seams though. Mine is like the blob. Hope I didn't do anything wrong. :(

No seam for me either Half Baked - it was a gloppy mess!

Last edited:
Saw the pics of the bread and it looks just great. Hubby likes a crunchy crust and soft middle, so will try it. Looks like perfect bread for wintery supper of hearty soup and crusty bread.

Here are some suggestions kitchenelf: size of your pot? My cast iron pot is
10 inches and my ceramic pot is 7 inches (diameter). The smaller diameter
the BREAD comes higher.

Ok you have the fresh yeast

Lukewarm water

Put all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Stir (I use a wooden flat..to stir)

Stir dry...the add water all at once and stir. The water measurement is very important. 1-1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons (1-5/8 cup). Stir and it will come together leaving the sides of the bowl. (NOT TOO MOIST). Cover with plastic. I place my bowl in my oven. Do you know the rice bags? Place the rice bag in the micro heat...place on the bottom shelf of your oven. This creates moist heat. (yeast mixtures love this). Then follow the directions.
If you need more help....just ask.

Thanks Aria - I can only imagine there was too much water - my son measured the water and I didn't pay attention - that HAD to be it because it was a MESS! :chef:

I'll try a smaller pot the next time though the pot I used wasn't anymore than roughly 10" or so but it was very deep. I think it will fit in my 5-qt. hard anodized pot just fine.

The video interview I saw with the guy that created this recipe actually only used a cup and a half. If 1 5/8ths still seems like too much then you may even want to try less.

GB said:
The video interview I saw with the guy that created this recipe actually only used a cup and a half. If 1 5/8ths still seems like too much then you may even want to try less.

I am going to make a note of that right now - thanks GB.

kitchenelf, try the smaller pot. And measure the water exact. And when you add the water ....stir...and make sure it forms. You may need to sprinkle a little more flour...until it leaves the sides of the bowl. .and take a slight shape. Not loose,runny. You should be able to ALMOST form a ball. I am trying to give you directions to help you get the correct moisture content.

Aria said:
kitchenelf, try the smaller pot. And measure the water exact. And when you add the water ....stir...and make sure it forms. You may need to sprinkle a little more flour...until it leaves the sides of the bowl. .and take a slight shape. Not loose,runny. You should be able to ALMOST form a ball. I am trying to give you directions to help you get the correct moisture content.

I can assure you I appreciate it VERY much! I had a feeling that gloppy mess wasn't exactly right! It sure was good when it was hot! I will report back when I cook it the next time. THANK YOU for your help.

Kitchenelf, watch THIS video. It is a video With Mark Bittman interviewing Jim Lahey (the man who created this bread). They discuss the recipe and actually make a bread so you can see every step and see what it should look like.

Well, I just watched the video and the version I made is just slightly different -

3 c a.p. flour
2 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
1 1/2 c warm (not hot) water

The technique was the same - except did I miss the 2 hour rest after the 18 hours and folding it? (the darn phone rang...) = the one I made called for that 2 hour rest and then all was the same.

I've made two loaves now - the first one didn't rise much, but the second one did raise somewhat more. Same yeast (well out of the same jar) and same dutch oven. Must be the goodies in the air?? and the humidity??

Both tasted just wonderful! I'm so hooked on this method.

I have further evidence that this recipe CANNOT be messed up!! ;o) We were at the beach (away from my kitchen supplies/equipment!) and I made the bread for our friends to whom I had sent the recipe.
Made the sponge--fine. For baking the only thing I could piece together was a cast iron frying pan (and not terribly well seasoned) and a deep (4" sides) round cake pan that woud fit down inside the diameter of the frying pan.
It worked PERFECTLY!! Delicious bread, beautiful crust and interior texture!

Made some at home yesterday. I let the first rise go for 24 hours--afternoon to afternoon. I added the little bit of extra flour and put it in my large 8 cup measuring cup (it is about 6" across and 6" deep) with a saran wrap liner. I forgot to bake it until too late at night so let it go until the next morning. By that time it had risen to the top of the cup/bowl.
Baked--absolutely BEAutiful!! And delicious. It might have been just a bit better if I had slashed the top with a razor the way many artisanal loaves are done.

I had just a "nubbin" of foie gras in the freezer. I toasted some of this bread, seared the foie gras and served it with a blueberry gastrique I had made for it. Nirvana!!! And just for good measure, dipped some of the bread in the rendered duck fat!!

On another board it is being "reported" that folks are making a larger loaf by just increasing the amounts of ingredients a bit. Just an FYI.

Candocook said:
On another board someone uses another CI pan for the lid to their "bottom" one.

Thanks for passing along this idea, but that will not work in my case. My bottom has a bail handle that interferes with the lid, and would not allow anything with any height to be placed on top of the pan. But I am thinking about your latest post. I have a 3 inch deep cast iron pan that I will look to see if I can find something to act as a lid, maybe another CI pan would work here?? Thanks again!!

bethzaring, Do you have a crock pot? I use the ceramic insert and the glass cover to my crock pot. Makes a wonderful loaf.

Aria,
Do you bake it in the crockpot? Is the lid oven safe?
Also, what size crockpot?

Back
Top Bottom