After washing dishes, do you rinse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A good rinse is just as important as a good wash - never heard that they don't in England - been there never seen that. Different strokes, yes, but I don't think leaving the soap on can be good for you.

I think it is a "tradition" of certain British family, perhaps not all of them though. I was quietly horrified when my ex kindly offered to wash the dishes, then he simply dipped the dishes in soapy water, a little scrubbing or swishing about and took them out of the soapy water to dry. He suffered ME (or CFS) so I supposed that was the best he could do, so I didn't say anything and rewashed everything later. However I was doubly flabbergasted (in silence though), when I saw his mother washed the dishes exactly the same way.

Elsewhere, the dishes and pots and utensils and everything that have been washed with soap is thoroughly rinsed with warm-hot water all the time.

I lived in England for a time, and most people I knew had a small "boiler" or water heater to serve their kitchen sink - usually just a few gallons. Almost no one had a big (55+ gallon) water heater to serve the entire house - there would be another boiler to serve the bathtub, for example. So they would usually use a basin filled with hot water for "dip" rinsing - letting the water just run for rinsing seemed wasteful and extravagant to them. Of course, the rinse basin fills up with soap eventually and isn't doing much rinsing. Sean was asking an innocent question...important for us to consider that not everyone lives the same way. For example, I don't have a dishwasher. Our water pressure here is so variable that it's just out of the question (and I don't really want one, anyway). But I do rinse under very hot running water.

Last edited:
I guess I am in "the bubble" and would never have thought that people didn't. Sorry. I didn't mean to offend.
Just as I would never NOT wash my veggies, or Not rinse my clothes, or body in a shower.
I didn't know. As I said, I live in a bubble.

Quicksilver, I didn't mean to scold - so sorry if it sounded like that! One of the most interesting things about this site is that we have so many people from all over the world. So we can learn from each other.

I have to admit, I thought this question was a joke at first. I couldn't imagine not rinsing my dishes. I want to taste what I am eating or drinking, not the soap. :sick: I am, in fact, pretty fanatical about rinsing (dishes, clothes, my hair and body). I can't stand for any soap to be left so, if anything, I tend to over rinse.

:)Barbara

Mex. you didn't offend. I just didn't know. Like "barbaraL" at first.
Like I said, "I live in a bubble"
I Like clean. If something else can do it better than me, Im all for it.

The thought never cross my mind. I thought it was a joke also.

No, I like to let the suds dry and cake onto the dishes, and then use them immediately after that. Gives the food more flavor. Or, I sometimes like to serve food on the plates immediately after washing and then call it a foam.

i wonder if those who do not actually rinse use the two sink method much like many pubs do with glasses?

that is, the dirty glasses (or dishes) are scrubbed in soapy water in one sink, then are dipped into a second sink of clean (or rather un-soapy) water before being dried.

like luvs mentioned, ingesting soap is like taking laxatives, so i can't imagine not rinsing or at least dipping in clean water.

even with the second sink method though, you have to figure that the cleanliness of the un-soapy water would be increasingly adulterated as each dish is introduced, depending on the volume of both water and dishes.

I am pretty fanatical about rinsing, but I almost never towel dry anything except my knives. My cast iron and my wok get dried on high heat on the stove, everything else just goes on the rack.

Oh yeah, things like the stick blender get towel dried too.

Unless I need it again immediately, I rinse and put it in the dishwasher. Things "look" so much cleaner after it finishes with them. I therefore assssume they are cleaner.

One sink or two, After a few dishes it isn't the best scenario. Also, I do not "stuff" the dishwasher. I find it works better that way.

While we are on it? I use bleach cleaner on food prep surfaces. Especially after making bread. After all, what is yeast?

Back
Top Bottom