"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #21
Executive Chef

One of the othe board I frequent just had a thread a melatonin. I have considered buying some and taking it. I won't say that I have problems sleeping, per se, but, with the old queen-size bed that we have, and the fact that we usually have several anklebiter chihuahua's that insist on sleeping with us, in odd spots that don't really make it comfortable for me, I do wake up a few times during the night. We're planning on getting a NEW king-size bed in a month or two. I know that will help alleviate a lot of my problems, but I was thinking about the melatonin as well. PeppA has told me that melatonin probably won't help her sleep soundly. I'll be sure and mention the lavender and chamomile tea. I have a lavender plant growing right now, maybe I'll get some chamomile going as well.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:29 PM   #22
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
One of the othe board I frequent just had a thread a melatonin. I have considered buying some and taking it. I won't say that I have problems sleeping, per se, but, with the old queen-size bed that we have, and the fact that we usually have several anklebiter chihuahua's that insist on sleeping with us, in odd spots that don't really make it comfortable for me, I do wake up a few times during the night. We're planning on getting a NEW king-size bed in a month or two. I know that will help alleviate a lot of my problems, but I was thinking about the melatonin as well. PeppA has told me that melatonin probably won't help her sleep soundly. I'll be sure and mention the lavender and chamomile tea. I have a lavender plant growing right now, maybe I'll get some chamomile going as well.
I sleep very soundly when I use Melatonin (and we have a German Shepherd and 2 cats that like to sleep with us at least a portion of the night!), but then I have almost always slept soundly once I fall asleep.

Someone mentioned Tylenol PM. I have used it and it works for me, and I usually don't have any problems. Last week was a different story, but I blame it on the kidney stones rather than the T. PM. I fell soundly asleep, but James kept waking me up by talking to me, or so I thought. It turns out I was the one waking him up by talking, and then when he would respond, I got irritated that he was waking me up! I do remember telling him, at one point, that I was just talking because of my medicine and pain and to stop talking to me!

Barbara

Old 01-08-2009, 11:31 PM   #23
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Quote:
Originally Posted by callie View Post
No one has mentioned taking Tylenol PM or Advil PM...I went through months of not being able to sleep and found taking half of either of those did the trick. I'm with kadesma at this point...if I can sleep, great - if not, I watch just "rest" and think pleasant, happy thoughts!
The active ingredient in these is basically benadryl ... and it makes my legs jump! I'm in the "hot bath" camp, and sometimes I read before I do that. It really helps me wind down.

I am so sorry for the OPs bad Ambien experience!
Old 01-08-2009, 11:31 PM   #24
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by callie View Post
No one has mentioned taking Tylenol PM or Advil PM...I went through months of not being able to sleep and found taking half of either of those did the trick.
I needed 3 or 4

For a while was having a hard time sleeping due to significant stress. I was going to look into Ambien when when the news had a story about people sleep-eating. One woman apparently woke up with a buttered cigarette in her mouth... I saw my future and stuck with the PM's and Bourbon. Thankfully sleeping is no longer a problem.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:32 PM   #25
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
Why do I recall some sort of "warning" with melatonin? I say research and proceed with caution on anything. What works for one of us, may not be the answer for the rest of us. Our bodies are pretty complex.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:38 PM   #26
Executive Chef

I've never taken Ambien or any other prescription sleep aid. I have taken melatonin and give it to my kids from time to time when they have screwed up their sleep schedule. But I have had friends that had the same problems with Ambien mentioned here.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

I get chronic headaches, and sometimes have trouble getting back to sleep once I wake up during the night. My neurologist suggested I take melatonin, so that tells me it's safe for me. I would suggest, however, that anyone thinking of taking it check with their doctor first. Even non-prescription pharmaceuticals, herbs, etc., can interact with other drugs you may be taking, or cause an allergic reaction, so to be on the safe side, let your doctor know you want to try it.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #28
Senior Cook

I have sever back problems, and it was prescribed to me to stop muscle spasms during the night. You have to take it and go directly to bed. The active ingredient only works for a short period of time, if you fight your sleep, then the medicine wears off quickly. Have had problems staying asleep from time to time. I tried melatonin a few years ago, and did not like it.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #29
Master Chef

I have taken Ambien off and on for several years now and it is a dagerous drug if not used responsibly. I don't like taking prescription or otc drugs, but fortunately, Ambien is the only prescription I have and take on occasions. No, it does not keep you asleep.

I don't have problems falling asleep, I have problems staying asleep. I can only sleep for about 4 hours at the most before waking up and being sleepless. So on those nights, I keep 1/2 an Ambien by my bed side. I will take that on the occasions that I wake up and can't fall back asleep.

It works for me and I have no ill side effects. (Or crazy stunts!) But I agree with most here that if you can find a natural alternative to your sleep problems, I believe that is the way to go. Just my .10 worth!
Old 01-10-2009, 01:00 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
Instead I found Belleruth Naparstek's Sleep Meditation CD. I pop it on and usually that does the trick.
She is affiliated with The Cleveland Clinic. The CD I use is this one:
Health Journeys - Product Detail