"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-17-2008, 07:29 PM   #11
Master Chef

DW seems to think I am rather hard of hearing.....

Seriously,
I was thinking of asking my doctor about a hearing test as there are times where it seems everyone can hear the TV clearly except me, or the music, or others talking. Might be a slight hearing loss there, but nothing drastic I don't think.

Of course if there is any hearing loss I blame it solely on DW!

She has this tendency, when some one is talking and she wants to talk, to simply start talking and raise her voice higher and higher until the person stops talking.
Or is that just with me she does that??

Old 05-17-2008, 07:37 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife View Post
I feel for the boy too but... Screaming that he has a gun is NOT a problem with his hearing. It's a behavior problem that should be addressed.
I agree.

I dont have a problem with my hearing except that sometimes I cannot hear high pitched sounds such as the phone if I am upstairs but I think thats a normal aging thing. My mother had hearing loss in one ear and partially in the other ear, so I was quite used to loud tv's , music, etc. She never talked loud though. She could read lips pretty good.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:23 PM   #13
Executive Chef

No, this is not a hearing thing, it's a guy thing. Just kidding.
Poor baby. But isn't that part of a child's yearly physical check up required by all schools?
As far as behavior - not acceptable. Where does that come from - home. There's the problem, not the boy's hearing.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:30 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post

And believe it or not, that's not his fault either. Again, the problems with this boy and the actions that he takes is his mom's job to try to address. If she does nothing, especially when she knows there's a problem, then she will have failed him and takes full responsibilities if the boy maims or kills someone
Sorry Corey, but that is just plain wrong. The child holds responsibility as well. You can not blame all of his issues on his mom. While I agree that parenting is a big part, the child is still responsible as well.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:33 PM   #15
Master Chef

I am with GB on this one, we can't always find someone else to blame for the things we do in life...
Isn't attitude 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it?
Old 05-18-2008, 01:04 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
I lost my hearing around 2 yrs. old from an ear infection. I don't know sign language , attended regular schools, and self taught lip reading.
That's pretty amazing!
Old 05-18-2008, 01:07 AM   #17
Head Chef

I think what's missing today is what wasn't missing when I was a kid and that is if you didn't behave properly, you were CONVINCED to behave properly!
Old 05-18-2008, 01:29 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Sorry Corey, but that is just plain wrong. The child holds responsibility as well. You can not blame all of his issues on his mom. While I agree that parenting is a big part, the child is still responsible as well.

I imagine that he SHOULD be held accountable for his obnocious behavior.

But doesn't she have to notice the signs and try to address the problems along with him? I agree that the boy should not have said that he has a gun, though we know that he din't have one. I'm sure that he's old enough to know right from wrong.

Still, the mom has to be the one to put her foot down. The staff as well because if that ever got out to the police, it would spark a security lockdown. The boy has to behave properly while on the school premises, yes,
and elsewhere. I know that his mind isn't fully developed yet, so some of the things he does deeply depends on how he's raised at home.

If he was at the airport and said that, expecially out loud, yes, they would have made an example out of him and probably would have immediately banned him from a plane and from the premises.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:41 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Only when my wife is talking to me! ;)

I hear very well out of my left ear but not too good out of my right. I find myself leaning in to people at times or turning my head to hear them. It has been this way as long as I can remember.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:14 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
"I got a gun! I got a gun!!".

About twenty minutes had passed before his mom who is a teacher there came down and introduced herself to us and stated that her boy has a hearing problem! I quickly change my train of thought and felt so bad for the boy! I never even knew that he was hearing impaired. No one did. We were all shocked and dumb-founded! Then the question popped up; "Why has she not told anyone about her son's hearing problem before now?"

Because before now she didn't need to keep her brat from being expelled because the kid threatened another's life, and for putting the school in lockdown.

No reason for her to tell you this now, except to skate out of it.

Hard of Hearing? Eh??

I have tinnitus, a 24/365 whine of mini jet engines in each ear. Sometimes there is also a hum and occasionally a bell or two. Sometimes it's so bad as it takes on a physical presence.

Enough to distract, enough to make me a bit irritable, even makes me a bit Loony at times.