Bet you didn't know that

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pearl oysters are a different species than the ones we eat...and, for some reason, pearl oysters are listed as not being one of the edible types. It takes 3-6 years to culture a pearl; cultured pearls outnumber natural pearls re: pearls you can buy.

Wine cubes: When you have a little leftover wine from dinner, pour it into an ice cube tray and freeze it. "Wine cubes" are perfect to use in making stock and other cooking.

Plus, on a hot summer day, filling a tall glass with them and sipping the melt-off is just plain good!

Leftover wine? What is that?

At the risk of setting off World War III (just when a truce has been reached in the mayo versus Miracle Whip controversy), although I wish I could leave dry cat food out for my two boys to eat whenever, I don't feel it's in their best interests health-wise. They are strictly indoor cats so don't have access to any other food. There's a woman who has a program called, "Cat Chat," and her reasoning persuaded me to switch from dry food to wet (canned) food -- said that unlike dogs who are omnivores, cats are "obligate carnivores" and feeding them dry food containing carbs, etc., is bad for the pet. So, I am trying to avoid medical problems for my cats, as well as needing to avoid vet bills, but canned food is certainly less convenient as well as more expensive.

I learned this when I worked for a vet. Not so much that cats need wet food, but that they are carnivores. Dogs became such loyal pets because humans are omnivores. A vegetarian can turn their dog vegetarian as well if they are careful about what they buy. But not cats, not for their health. Cats also have a higher metabolism than dogs, and experimental meds (I'm remembering specifically the flea meds) tend to come out for dogs before they do for cats because it is hard to get the dosage right.

I don't understand why so many people think it has to be mayo OR Miracle Whip.

I like them both. Sometimes I like egg salad (for instance) with mayo as a more savory dish, and sometimes I like it with MW for a sweeter, spicier flavor.

I do use more mayo, but sometimes I need to stave off the boredom with Miracle Whip for a change.

I, too, have never understood the mayo/MW thing. I grew up on the latter, only off-brand "salad dressing", because it was less expensive than mayo. By the time I was 18 I really didn't like real mayo (and one of my sibs still hates it). I've learned to like real mayo, but I still like MW; preferring one for some uses, the other for others.

I, too, have never understood the mayo/MW thing. I grew up on the latter, only off-brand "salad dressing", because it was less expensive than mayo. By the time I was 18 I really didn't like real mayo (and one of my sibs still hates it). I've learned to like real mayo, but I still like MW; preferring one for some uses, the other for others.

That is precisely how I think on the issue also, Claire. I eat more MW than Mayo only because I make more things that I like MW in.

I learned this when I worked for a vet. Not so much that cats need wet food, but that they are carnivores. Dogs became such loyal pets because humans are omnivores. A vegetarian can turn their dog vegetarian as well if they are careful about what they buy. But not cats, not for their health. Cats also have a higher metabolism than dogs, and experimental meds (I'm remembering specifically the flea meds) tend to come out for dogs before they do for cats because it is hard to get the dosage right.
Cats need taurine. The best sources are dairy, eggs, fish, and poultry. Although it is important to muscle development, cats with a taurine deficiency (or a diet devoid of taurine) end up blind in 18 months (if I recall--I read a study on this years ago, that being, the value of adding taurine to dry cat food).

That is precisely how I think on the issue also, Claire. I eat more MW than Mayo only because I make more things that I like MW in.

I use MW for egg salad all the time. Mayo for everything else. But I am not one to pass up a sandwich with MW if I am out of mayo. Mayo is very rich. And sometimes I want something milder. so MW it is. When you read the ingredients, mayo has vinegar listed further down then MW. MW has vinegar listed as the second ingredient. :chef:

Plus, you use FRESH eggs! Right out of the chicken!
Now that you've mentioned it, definitely FRESH eggs...and high-quality olive oil plus some canola oil...and freshly squeezed lemon juice (sadly, can't pick the lemon off the tree here in SE Ontario...otherwise I'd have a Meyer lemon tree where I could look at it from the window of my igloo).;)

schmaurine (from Old German): to be of a consistency that allows the mixture to be spread straight out of the jar.
I'm having a devil of a time finding any reference to that word. I've tried Google/Web, German/English, English/German and none of them list it.

What's your source? It's not a "belief" type question, CWS, it's so I can reference it myself if need be.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom