Carnival and fair foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WIKIWIKI

Assistant Cook
:chef: I am going to open a concession trailer and want to sell foods unique to fairs and carnivals ect. I am interested to know what type of foods bring back good childhood memories and are the things you are willing to line up for on a hot summers day. Any input would be greatly helpful.​

We grew up in NYC and so a lot of the fairs were Italian festivals - loved the zeppole which is just like funnel cake without the shape. Yum.

Another vote for funnel cake-my favorite

The vendors that I've seen lately that have the longest lines though, are the ones for roasted corn on the cob.

Another popular one is Thai noodles and skewered chicken in peanut sauce

Hot dogs (why do they taste better at a fair or a ball game?)
Caramel apples

Oh, and roasted nuts of any kind.

OK, I'll say it: corn dogs.

Get me to a carnival/fair and I will eat, and love, foods I would not ever eat at home.

Was in my twenties when I had my first corn dog and every so often (oh, two years or so) crave one.

Hear that some places now sell turkey legs. Have had them, and they are great and I would guess a lot better for you than most of the stuff they traditionally sell.

In NYC street fairs used to love the sausage and pepper sandwiches.

Gosh, I am sorry the season for fairs has passed around here, I am getting very hungry.

Shave ice?

I was leaning towards funnel cakes and shave ice, although now I'm wondering how popular shave ice would be. I too am getting a hankering for eeything mentioned above. Thanks for the input it is very helpful.

Cold Lemonade always a big hit.
Fries, onion rings
funnel cakes/ elephant ears
corn on the cob
italian sausage with onion and peppers
caramel/candied apples
apple dumplings are a great hit too

The roasted corn on the cob, eaten off of a stick is popular at German street fairs (at least in Munich). They slather it with lots of butter and salt. It makes a very healthy food unhealthy, but man o' man are they good!

I worked a carnival when I was younger,I can say the most popular foods were,sausage onions green peppers,cotton candy,candy apples,elephant ears, and popcorn, also corn dogs...

For me it was hot dogs, french fries, onion rings, candy apples, and dough boys (fried dough with either pizza sauce and cheese, or butter and powdered sugar).

all of the above, plus egg creams, mozzarepas, hot candied almonds, waffles and ice cream, and fried shrimp or clams.

Back
Top Bottom