"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #501
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
"Watch Myrtly. Some one may sneak a ringer in there on you. Like an Ostrich egg."
+1 (or a dinosaur egg).

Old 08-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #502
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
So long, farewell,
Auf Weidersehen, goodbye.

[...] I leave and heave
A sigh and say goodbye (Where are MY HENS!)

[...] I flit, I float,
I fleetly flee, I fly (oh, right, I can't fly!)

What--the Big Chicken is writng a book about us? Wait a minute, what about our fans?

She says they'll come back...

Get out of the forum--start writing!

"Did you pick up the mail? Is my entry form for the egg-laying contest in there?"

Yes, Myrtle, it is here but...it is for ...

"I know I can lay the biggest egg! Where's my nest box? Where are your keys! Let's GO!"

"But Myrtle--"

"No Buts! I can win this!"

"Oooo-kay..."
Oh CWS, you chicken stories are so cute! I love to hear what they are all up to. Please let the girls know that we are always here to hear their stories! To bad you and Myrtle and all the girls can't go on the road with this show!!! :D

Old 08-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #503
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
To bad you and Myrtle and all the girls can't go on the road with this show!!! :D
Hey if The Great Gonzo and Camilla can do it, why not!!!!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #504
Master Chef

Site Moderator

And if Rocky wants a part .....

Old 08-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #505
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you Dave. that was so delightful I wish the Muppets were still on TV. Or at least do them on a rerun.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #506
Chef Extraordinaire

Rocky's been in the Rooster Relocation Program for almost a month. His behaviour has changed now that he doesn't have hens to protect. Well, now that he doesn't have the pampered, independent girls to protect. The DH is about to break down, however, and get Rocky a few hens--there are four young Plymouth Rock hens available...I suspect they will be relocated to the farm before the weekend. As long as they aren't like the flock here, hopefully Rocky will be fine. Someone will have to go out and check on them every couple of days...The Girls who suffered "rooster damage" (a/k/a "the Barebacks") are getting their feathers back. This makes me happy--I was worried about how they'd survive the winter with so much skin showing. The Newbys are integrated, and the Littles are also integrated into the flock. They are almost 3 months old. I am thinking that they are all hens. They will stay here with my flock. Myrtle and Millie are vying for top hen position...I think Myrtle might have the upper wing.

There are three that watch from the window for me each morning. I wave at them as I start out to the barn-coop. I swear, two of them wave back--I see a wing raised after I wave at them...they've also taken over the deck furniture--it is not uncommon for 2 or 3 to be sitting on each deck chair...who knew life with chickens could be so much FUN!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #507
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I guess I missed something. Barebacks? I'd scroll through the Chronicles, but 505 posts...?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #508
Chef Extraordinaire

Other farm animals have the same problems. Stallions do damage with their hoof and teeth. They like to bite the neck of the mare when mating. Bulls are the same. Their hoofs are very sharp. Sometimes they cut the back of the cows. It is why they aren't allowed to field breed with the cows. They are kept separate. In a pasture far away from the heifers. Once they get the odor of them in estes, they will break fences and anything else to get to the girls. Also if their is more than one stallion or bull on the farm, they have no way of knowing which is the father to which animal. Professional farms keep exact mating records. Even mink farms. Nasty animals those mink. YUK!
Old 09-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #509
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I guess I missed something. Barebacks? I'd scroll through the Chronicles, but 505 posts...?
When birds mate, the male hops on the back of the female. The rooster has sharp spurs and can do some serious damage on the hens' backs. He also digs his feet into the hen for the purpose of holding on the female. Damage the hens enough and their feathers fall out.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #510
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When birds mate, the male hops on the back of the female. The rooster has sharp spurs and can do some serious damage on the hens' backs. He also digs his feet into the hen for the purpose of holding on the female. Damage the hens enough and their feathers fall out.
That covers the birds, what about the bees?

Tags
chicken