"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-03-2014, 02:15 AM   #701
Chef Extraordinaire

Eagles? Good grief! Their talons are longer than hawks. Yesterday morning I was up just as daylight was breaking. I thought I heard a child crying. When I went to the window, it turned out to be a hawk. in the tree across the street. Have to let Spike know so he could keep a short leash on Teddy when he has him out for his walks. There weren't any around this area last year. Have to protect our babies.

A baby chick would be just a snack for an eagle. Bald Eagles? They would have to bring home a whole flock of babies to feed their families. Have you named the new babies yet?

Old 07-03-2014, 07:15 AM   #702
Chef Extraordinaire

The grey and white one is Meredith (as in Meredith Grey--Grey's Anatomy). I haven't named the others, yet. I was thinking of naming the two "whites" Allie (Alabaster) and Miss Marble. Not sure yet...and haven't decided on the names for the RIRs. Think they should be "B" names...Bertha, Bettina (except I have a Miss Betty White), Brigit, and for some reason, I want to call one Barley...but that is not really a name...

Old 07-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #703
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
The grey and white one is Meredith (as in Meredith Grey--Grey's Anatomy). I haven't named the others, yet. I was thinking of naming the two "whites" Allie (Alabaster) and Miss Marble. Not sure yet...and haven't decided on the names for the RIRs. Think they should be "B" names...Bertha, Bettina (except I have a Miss Betty White), Brigit, and for some reason, I want to call one Barley...but that is not really a name...
I like your chicken names - and my Mom loves Betty White.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:20 PM   #704
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Have your forgotten Barbie Doll?
Old 07-07-2014, 08:56 AM   #705
Senior Cook

I would not have thought of that one. My DD wouldn't even play with Barbies except to try to dehead them with her brothers GI Joes.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:51 AM   #706
Chef Extraordinaire

I've named the youngsters:

Meredith is now Merla (she is now looking like a "blue merle" dog, so decided she had to be Merla).

The small white one is "BB" (Betty [White's] Baby)
The other white one is Bertha
One of the "red-browns" is Arlys, the other is Gladys.
The three RIRs are Hester, Hattie, and Henrietta
The 1/2 white/1/2 red is Portia (Merchant of Venice reference--from the front she looks like one bird, from the back, a different bird)
And the lone rooster boy is Stripey Jr. -- but I call him Junior.

They are really growing and are well integrated into the flock with the big birds.

Miss Betty White is on day 8 of sitting on eggs. She did something I've never seen before this morning. She somehow convinced Pearl to sit on the eggs while she made a mad dash outside for some food, water, and most importantly, a dirt bath. When I brought Miss Betty White food and fresh water this morning, I said to her "you have your head up. Are you hungry?" (She had been in that "broody hen pose" every other time). When I went back outside, I noticed that it wasn't Pearl in the yard with the others, but Miss Betty White. When I went out awhile later, Miss Betty White was back on the eggs and Pearl was outside. I did notice that Pearl must have eaten the food I brought out--it was gone. This is the first time I've had a broody hen leave the eggs and another bird "eggy sit" them (that's my word of the day, PF).
Old 07-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #707
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I've named the youngsters:

Meredith is now Merla (she is now looking like a "blue merle" dog, so decided she had to be Merla).

The small white one is "BB" (Betty [White's] Baby)
The other white one is Bertha
One of the "red-browns" is Arlys, the other is Gladys.
The three RIRs are Hester, Hattie, and Henrietta
The 1/2 white/1/2 red is Portia (Merchant of Venice reference--from the front she looks like one bird, from the back, a different bird)
And the lone rooster boy is Stripey Jr. -- but I call him Junior.

They are really growing and are well integrated into the flock with the big birds.

Miss Betty White is on day 8 of sitting on eggs. She did something I've never seen before this morning. She somehow convinced Pearl to sit on the eggs while she made a mad dash outside for some food, water, and most importantly, a dirt bath. When I brought Miss Betty White food and fresh water this morning, I said to her "you have your head up. Are you hungry?" (She had been in that "broody hen pose" every other time). When I went back outside, I noticed that it wasn't Pearl in the yard with the others, but Miss Betty White. When I went out awhile later, Miss Betty White was back on the eggs and Pearl was outside. I did notice that Pearl must have eaten the food I brought out--it was gone. This is the first time I've had a broody hen leave the eggs and another bird "eggy sit" them (that's my word of the day, PF).

Great names!

And a good word of the day!
Old 07-24-2014, 10:51 PM   #708
Chef Extraordinaire

In the afternoon, Redson (remember, the "s" is silent--debris, aisle, island, Illinois, Arkansas, and the sixth word in the English language with a silent "s" is Redson), was standing at the French patio doors. He could see his reflection.

"Who is that?" He lifted his leg and that "new" rooster lifted his leg. He tilted his head to the right...the new "roo" tilted his head to the right. He puffed up his chest and stood on one leg again...the new "roo" did the same. A head tilt to the left...new roo did the same....a loooooong stare. The new "roo" didn't look away...Redson walked away with a quick look over his shoulder to make sure that new "roo" was respecting his territory and also walking away. Redson knows his name...but now, I wonder if he now recognizes what he looks like when looking at his reflection........who knew having chickens was so much fun and that they were SO smart. So glad I don't eat battery-farmed chicken or eggs anymore...they are far too smart and emotional to be treated that way. Miss Betty White has obviously been talking with Pearl and managed to recruit Pearl to be an egg sitter...who knew?
Old 07-25-2014, 05:33 PM   #709
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Have your forgotten Barbie Doll?
I had a Barbie Dog (Saint Bernard--Roz). I think Myrtle is my Barbie hen!
Old 07-25-2014, 05:36 PM   #710
Chef Extraordinaire

Working on coordinating a canoeing afternoon with the kids--the one pictured with Myrtle on his hat and his brother--wondering how Myrtle can come along.....she'd like canoeing....flight suit needs to be modified to include water wings....hmmm....

Tags
chicken