"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-08-2006, 03:31 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
This happened all the time with my dad...
I'd be upstairs in my room when I here him
calling me. I'd go downstairs and say " Did you
call me dad ? ".

He'd then say " No but I was just getting ready to. "

Also things would happen like
Say I was just thinking about calling KitchenElf.
Just as I would get to the phone it would ring and
on the other end was KitchenElf.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:39 PM   #12
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
I've been in/had an experience in a haunted house once, does that count? Also had an experience at a haunted church which (sadly) burned to the ground earlier this year.

The Memphians here will know the 1st United Methodist Church downtown.

Fraidy

Old 12-08-2006, 07:03 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Cool thread - I will have to think about this .....
Old 12-08-2006, 07:56 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Mr HB and I have always been about 25 miles from each other, since we were born. We even went to some of the same parties in HS but never noticed each other. We went to different schools, in different counties.

Alexandria Va
Monterey CA
Stuttgart Germany
Vietnam
State College PA
Annapolis MD - where we finally met and haven't parted since.

btw, this was over a period of 50 years.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:19 PM   #15
Senior Cook

my friend and i kick but at telepaths where you have a word or a picture that you have to describe with so many words and if you have the same answer you get a point. well we must read minds or something because it's creepy. I don't know if this is a coincidence but i'll just look at my dog and know if she's hungry or has to go outside or just wants to play. maybe it's just because i've known her for so long.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:24 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie
This happened all the time with my dad...
I'd be upstairs in my room when I here him
calling me. I'd go downstairs and say " Did you
call me dad ? ".

He'd then say " No but I was just getting ready to. "

Also things would happen like
Say I was just thinking about calling KitchenElf.
Just as I would get to the phone it would ring and
on the other end was KitchenElf.

Don't think about calling me because I don't have your phone number!
Old 12-09-2006, 09:13 AM   #17
Master Chef

I once returned from a visit to my family. I lived in DC, they in Florida, so it had been a day or two. I was just settling in when the phone rang. "Hi Claire, this is Marie!" Right away this struck me as odd, because that sister just isn't a phone talker. Oh, well. We talked for a few minutes, then she asked me how Bill was. Bill? Yeah, your husband, you know, Bill. Well I was unmarried and had just travelled to see the family with a boyfriend, John. I said this, and she and I had a large laugh and a few creepy crawleys up our spines. After all, neither name is uncommon among French-background families, but the timing of that wrong number was odd.

Another time, more recently, I mixed up the numbers on my parents' area code and called. I chatted with a woman for a minute or so before realising she wasn't my mother! She loved it! When we discovered the mistake, she said, "You sound so much like my daughter that I feel like I got a call from her. THANK YOU!!"
Old 12-09-2006, 09:28 AM   #18
Master Chef

As a child growing up around the world, our family was separated from my parents' families most of the time. Every once in awhile, when we would get together, my mother and my aunt (this is my father's sister, not hers) would be rather freaked to discover that they'd bought me and my cousin identical things. We'd find ourselves having the same shoes, dresses, dolls. This was way, way before the world of universal stores (i.e., WalMart, where everyone one in every town looks exactly the same). Often they'd choose the same paterns and same fabrics and make us the same clothes. I wouldn't find it odd if Mom and Auntie were sisters, but not; sisters-in-law. Cousin and I have lived continents away, but have always had a bond. That was just coincidental. When we did live near each other (near meaning a day or two drive in the station wagon), then our mothers did dress us alike. There'd be me, my sisters, and my cousins, all dressed in hand-made clothing. I look at home movies and think we were adorable. But the oddity of my mother buying the same things for me when she was, say, in Germany, as my Aunt bought for my Cousin in California was strange.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:36 AM   #19
Sous Chef

I remember a few years ago, I met up with my friend in London for lunch(we were actually in the UK as a family on school holidays)Anyway, after lunch we were admiring some jewellery as she wanted to buy my daughter something as she is my daughter's godmother.Anyway, a lady walked up to us and started telling us her life story of how she had lost three husbands in the past to cancer, we listened on, then she turned to my friend and started telling her how much she is loved by people and how not to give up and how she will find the right man someday and not to settle just for any man because she was lonely. We both listened, and after reasuring her, the lady said goodbye and left.The interesting part of it all was, how did she know that my friend was single(we both were wearing gloves in the London winter) and that she was going out with some guy who actually had proposed to her and she wasn't sure and hadn't even told me as she was still digesting it all before she discussed it.Anyway, she turned down the proposal after that. If this was the movies, I would have said that she then met the man of her dreams and are living happily ever after. It's not, she is still single, but happy and says she would have made a huge mistake to get married to this guy.Who was the mysterious lady? We keep asking ourselves.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:50 AM   #20
Head Chef

This happened more than 10 years ago yet still gives me the chills to this day:

Two weeks before my sister's wedding, her fiance was fatally shot in a stupid scruffle with a security guard of a building. Fast forward to a few days after the funeral -- my sister woke up sobbing violently. She had just remembered the strange dream her fiance had told her about. He had dreamt that he was waiting forever for my sister that he finally decided to take off his green shirt and changed into a suit.

The evening he was killed, he was waiting to pick up my sister at her office building. He was wearing his green shirt. He was buried in his wedding suit.

My heart feels so heavy and my tears are welling up just writing about this...