"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-01-2007, 12:22 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Wow, I astonished reading this, "Chigger" is Not a word you would ever say out loud in Public in the UK!

the Uk / USA language gap seems quite funny at times :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:30 PM   #42
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095 View Post
Wow, I astonished reading this, "Chigger" is Not a word you would ever say out loud in Public in the UK!

Isn’t that the truth. I found all kinds of oddities between US and UK English while working with UK proof readers. In the UK, they call “blinders” on a horse, “blinkers”. If you want to say “run for it” they say “leg it” (I really like that one!). And just a bunch of other little subtle differences that are rather interesting. Do they still call cigarettes “fags” in the UK or is that defunct now?

If "blinkers" are "blinders" on a horse, then what do you call a turn signal on you car (we call them blinkers here in the South).

Old 09-01-2007, 12:36 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Indicators for a car (or bike)

here`s one though, we still say "fag" for a ciggy, and use "lift for elevator, but you say "Bum" which means to borrow permanently etc...

so in effect, Here if you`re caught Bumming a Fag in a Lift, you get strange looks from folks in the Lobby :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:36 PM   #44
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
or better yet---"How to Tick off Your Man"--
Good one!

Allen, we live in the country, and there are lots of snakes and lots of field mice around, but we've never had any mice in the house. Having a cat helps keeps them out better than anything. It's also important to make sure the house is good and tight.
Don't kill the snakes...they don't do any harm, and they'll help control the rodent population. Learn how to identify them, though...you don't want any rattle snakes around, mice or no mice.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:41 PM   #45
Master Chef

Quote:

My dad was stationed in Wales during WWII, and he was amused by their expression, "Keep your pecker up", loosely translated as "Keep your chin up".
Old 09-01-2007, 12:46 PM   #46
Head Chef

Quote:
so in effect, Here if you`re caught Bumming a Fag in a Lift, you get strange looks from folks in the Lobby :)
LOL!
Old 09-01-2007, 01:05 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
Not just the snakes, but rats and mice as well.
I'm gonna have to get some mice traps anyways, probably some snap-traps for the garage and out-building, and glue-boards for inside the house.
Allen, if you go to WalMart, go to the pharmacy and get a little bottle of pure peppermint oil and some cotton balls. Mice hate this stuff. If you place a few drops on cotton balls and then place them around, particularly the attic and basement and closets, it will definitely repel mice and it smells nice, too. Also, buy some cheap steel wool. If you stuff it into holes or areas that you know mice gain entrance, they will NOT chew through it. Copper scrubbing pads work, too and they don't rust but they are more expensive. I would also do the traps, etc. but it's much nicer keeping them away than having to deal with their little corpses!
Old 09-01-2007, 01:44 PM   #48
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
Not just the snakes, but rats and mice as well. That's my first goal once we get things in, probably even before we really unpack. It's still on the warm side here, although the morning are cooling off. I'll probably have to mow in the morning, until it gets a little warm, then unpack in the afternoon (before work), and at night, after work. I might be able to talk my Dad into bringing his riding mower over, and get it done quick.

I'm gonna have to get some mice traps anyways, probably some snap-traps for the garage and out-building, and glue-boards for inside the house.
LOL I was thinking about the mice and rats when I mentioned snakes (that's why the snakes are there!).

Oh, please, please, please--no glue-boards. Have you ever seen a mouse on one of them? I have, when a friend used them. I won't get into it here, but I would never use them.

Barbara
Old 09-01-2007, 05:23 PM   #49
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
LOL I was thinking about the mice and rats when I mentioned snakes (that's why the snakes are there!).

Oh, please, please, please--no glue-boards. Have you ever seen a mouse on one of them? I have, when a friend used them. I won't get into it here, but I would never use them.

Barbara
I agree about the glue traps I just dont have the heart to do it.If I hafto get rid of a rat or mouse Id much rather use a trap and kill them instantly alot less guilt for me.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:33 PM   #50
Head Chef

Oh good lord, I used a glue trap once, and it was freakin’ horrible. I’ll never, ever, ever use that sadistic piece of junk again. It’s much better to just use a regular trap and end it painlessly. The only up side is, when I used the glue board, after about 20 minutes of work, I was able to get the little guy off the board and let him go in the woods. Still, never again.