Girls! Let's Obsess About Our Hair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There once was a woman who woke up one morning, looked in the mirror, and noticed she had only three hairs on her head.

"Well," she said, "I think I'll braid my hair today."?
So she did and she had a wonderful day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and saw that she had only two hairs on her head.

"H-M-M, " she said, "I think I'll part my hair down the middle today."?
So she did and she had a grand day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that she had only one hair on her head.

"Well," she said, "Today I'm going to wear my hair in a pony tail."
So she did and she had a fun, fun day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that there wasn't a single hair on her head.

"Yay!" she exclaimed, "I don't have to fix my hair today!"

wasabi - i love that!! I hope I have that attitude when I'm down to my last 3 hairs :LOL:

to me, good hair is one of the first things that a guy notices about a woman because it frames her face and implies a physically healthy disposition (no kidding! really, a serious opinion........ yes, those are probably next. i'm not dead, ya know) and then it becomes one of the things that he ends up b1tching about for the cost of maintenance for years to come.
dw has great hair; thick and healthy and pretty long. i don't think anyone is sure of it's original color tho. i think it was much darker. no matter, it looks good. oddly enough, our son has the same exact dirty blonde colored hair. hmmm, i wonder if those chemicals get in your dna.
anyway, she gets her hair cut and colored about every 10 weeks or so, at about a buck fifty a pop.
that seems ridiculous to me, but what can ya do? it makes her happy.

Gee, I guess there are some good things about living in an economically depressed area. I have my hair trimmed and highlighted every 2 months, and the cost is only $40.

Mudbug, I have to admit, I, too, thought you were a boy at first, although after I read enough of your posts, I realized you are one of the gals.

I was blessed with my mothers thick head of hair. They say I have enough hair on my head for 3 people. I was also blessed with my fathers side of whats called "Silk Hair". It true color is on the lowest level of blonde. When I was little it was pure blonde.....a tow head is what I believe they called it. But through the years it darkened. In fact I thought I was truely a light brown but my stylist pulled out the hair color samples and showed me that in fact I was on the low end of blonde. It'll be interesting to see if I take after my mothers side and end up with snow white hair.

Anyway, my hair is now down about 3 to 4 inches past my bra line. It has layers throughout. The stylist has to texturize my hair to get the bulk out of it so that it just doesn't lay flat and give me a conehead effect....:) . My hair grows extremely fast. For a cut it cost me $30.00 (includes $5.00 tip). I try to have it cut at least every 4-6 weeks but sometimes its more like 2 months. My highlights (light blonde) cost me $90.00 (includes $10.00 tip). Its a lot of money but well worth it! I don't do much to pamper myself and this is one thing that really makes me feel good about my appearance.

I haven't done it in awhile but sometimes I'll go in and tell the stylist to do whatever they want. They ususally stick with the same color but cut it short. I always end up liking it but ultimately I grow it out long again........which DH is ever so grateful for since he loves it when its long.

As far as a stylist.....I've only had 3 in my life that I've had always cut/highlight my hair beautifully. I had like 3 that totally butched it and I never went back. I'll stick with my current one until he no longer does it and then I'll have him recommend someone.

Seems to me that once you start, you can't stop, and I'd rather spend the money on something else.(Mudbug)
---------------My thoughts exactly! - I have five thumbs on each hand when it comes to styling & so I keep mine verrrry short. . . Thank goodness for hairdressers who like tocut! I love wasabi's story - What a wonderful attitude! Have a great day everybody! Gotta run. - Glenda

Last edited:
my hair is pitiful, thin, fine, with a tiny bit of body. Yes, we are never satisfied with what we have. I am not inclined to do any more than wash, towel dry and comb. I also live in an economically depressed area and am blessed to have a woman who understands my hair, love her cuts. I have my hair trimmed every four weeks for $9.00. I do not and will not color my hair, is mostly grey and white with some on the original med brown. But the grey/white has come in in a way that looks like I paid to have it streaked. For the first 53 years of my life my hair was very greasy, but that has finally subsided, I can now go for two days between washing before it starts to look greasy. I use a gel on my hair to get it to stand up off my scalp. geeessshh, hair is such a pain. I keep mine sorta short, hubby would like it longer but it looks terrible any longer, too stringy.

Just my two cents, although I worked as a hairdresser for quite a few years.

Fine hair isn't always oily. The thickness/thinness of your hair has nothing to do with your scalp's condition. It's what you do to it. Just as you take care of your skin, you must take care of your scalp. It's skin, afterall!

Use professional products. Store brand stuff will never do your hair justice. It's not the same product. Store brands have a lot more water in relation to the good stuff. And, their good stuff isn't the best quality. That's why you have to use so much to clean/condition your hair. A professional product will always give you better results.

Think of store brand being like a McDonald's hamburger, and the pro line is more of a 7% lean ground beef from a butcher, then grilled on a fire to perfection. Or, it's the chef's difference between using real vanilla extract vs. artificial vanilla flavoring. See the difference?

You will never get the best results from a home coloring job. Why? Because those products do not contain the needed levels of color/peroxide/amonia you need to acheive great results.

While we're on the subject, from experience in salons, yes, the pricier salons really do know their stuff. The cupon-type hair cutter places will hire someone right out of beauty school, no questions asked. They'll charge you about 10 bucks and send you on your way. A nicer salon will hire the newbie, but make them assist a top stylist for months (or years) until they can get the proper technique.

Laides, if you don't think your hair is gorgeous, try the salon in your city that you know may have higher prices, but has the best reputation. You know, a consulatation is generally free. Just ask their advice!

Okay, I'm climbing down off of my soapbox now.

I was waiting for you to weigh in on this one, jkath! After getting too many whack jobs at Hair Cuttery, I'm upgrading to another chain we have out here (Bubbles). Can't comment on the coloring pointers 'cuz I've never done it.

There's a salon even closer to my house (not part of a chain) that I've been to a couple of time, but I just can't see spending 50 bucks there to get what basically amounts to a trim. The girl at this salon did do a beautiful job on daughter's full highlights (Christmas present), but it was $100 plus tip and she no longer works there.

Basically, I believe that as long as you find a stylist who you like, you are better off giving that person your business regularly.

Luxury

My hair is a luxury to me. I never take time w/it. My mother was completely white at 25 and then when mine started changing she said nothing can be done about it. Just accept it. Gradually my hair became completely white. I recently put some color on it and cannot believe how many people have told me about time! Really bothered me to know how they must have felt about my hair. Guess it is sign of being old? Who knows? Didn't bother me. But now that I started, what would you suggest I do? It is already starting to grow and I can se the white. I bought a box from Walgreens cause it was on sale. The girl at the store said I should go to professional for advice. My hair is long and everytime I go to someone they cut and I have to try to get same look that it is supposed to be. I have avoided going to shops for long time. When it has length I can pull it off my neck when I work out. Othewise seems to be stuck to my neck when I come home from sweat. Before I was married, took time because I had to. After marriage my ex told me not to spend time on my hair. To this day, I feel guilty when I do. I feel it is best to go to someone as the girl had suggested. Anyone use home products? As jkath said probably ruin your hair. ONe thing my hair is healthy now if I start with coloring will that have affect on it. I sure wouldn't want my hair to fall out. Thank for thoughts.

ITK, I understand what you are saying...I was always told (in a previous life, by an ex) to let my hair grow...and that I didn't need to spend any money getting it cut or colored. Well, thank goodness, those days are over and now I decide what I want to do with my hair!

I used to color it myself at home (I was dealing with the guilt of spending $$), but I was very unhappy with the results and my hair began to get damaged. I'm just not very good at doing my own hair! So...now I go maybe 3 or 4 times a year to get my hair colored. I ask the professionals at the salons what they suggest. I like to lessen the impact of my grey hair showing at the roots. They've all been very helpful with suggesting ideas that keep me happy :) .

Just my story - and my opinion...but I'd suggest you stay away from the home coloring products and go to a salon. Treat yourself! You're worth it!! :)

jkath said:
Perfectly said!!

Amen!!!!! Life too short not to enjoy it. And if its something that makes you feel good about yourself then by all means you should treat yourself. I always feel like I've been put on a pedestal when I get my hair done. I get the best treatment from the staff and I feel like a million bucks when I leave.

SizzlininIN said:
Amen!!!!! Life too short not to enjoy it. And if its something that makes you feel good about yourself then by all means you should treat yourself. I always feel like I've been put on a pedestal when I get my hair done. I get the best treatment from the staff and I feel like a million bucks when I leave.

Ah yes, it's sooo relaxing to get your hair done. Makes me wanna sleep. Sadly, I have been the only one to cut, color or highlight my hair in quite some time. The best, though, is this place downtown that uses Aveda products. They offer you a nice glass of wine with your service!

Since we're on the subject of salons...how much do you tip at your salon? I never know about this stuff at places other than restaurants.

BC

Depends....just a haircut, I'll give $5 which is a nice tip. A hightlight or color? $10.

When I was doing hair, $2 was an average tip.

I have never colored my hair.. I didn't have to. I was born with a blond forelock (yellow, like the color of ripe wheat) If any of you who haven't seen my pictures on this site..go check it out. In high school most of the girls were bleaching a streak in their hair. Not me..when I go to a High School Reunion (1952) class mates come up to me and say " I remember you...you always had that natural streak in your hair." It has turned white now but the rest of my hair is brunette. I have had the same hair dresser for 31 years. She says I now have 1/3 of the "bush" I use to have..:) I go to her every week. My hair is coarse and wiry so a perm. is due every 3 months. $70.00 and a cut with style 6 weeks later. Cuts are $23.00 style is $ 18.00 but if done at the same time it is $32.00

I just had it cut like she has tried to get me to do forever. A neckline in the back and about 2" on the sides and styled to brush to the back with bangs in front and the rest of the front is swept to the right side. Every one I know loves it.

My pictures show it as being white but keep in mind that color prints and film were VERY expensive back then.
Marge~Dove

i tip $5 for brow 'waxins & trims, way more for highlighting. i adore this thread. it's so pink! :LOL:

Last edited:
buckytom

luvs_food said:
i tip $5 for brow 'waxins & trims, way more for highlighting. i adore this thread. it's so pink! :LOL:

luvs, did you notice we had ONE guy who made comment on this thread? I admire him for sharing about what his 'better half' does. He feels it is important and more men should feel that way. It surprised me to see him respond and I think that makes him the greater person for doing so. My hats off to buckytom! I'd vote for him as president any year. buckytom you heard it here.

Back
Top Bottom