"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-30-2006, 09:54 PM   #41
Master Chef

bucky's great!

Old 04-30-2006, 10:21 PM   #42
Executive Chef

It's Long! It's Blonde!... & I do have more fun!!! (You didn't think I was going to tell you all my secrets -- did you?! )

She asks me why
I'm just a hairy guy
I'm hairy noon and night
Hair that's a fright
I'm hairy high and low
Don't ask me why
Don't know
It's not for lack of bread
Like the Grateful Dead
Darling

Gimme a head with hair
Long beautiful hair
Shining, gleaming,
Streaming, flaxen, waxen

Give me down to there hair
Shoulder length or longer
Here baby, there mama
Everywhere daddy daddy

Hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair
Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow it
My hair

Let it fly in the breeze
And get caught in the trees
Give a home to the fleas in my hair
A home for fleas
A hive for bees
A nest for birds
There ain't no words
For the beauty, the splendor, the wonder
Of my...

Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow it
My hair

I want it long, straight, curly, fuzzy
Snaggy, shaggy, ratty, matty
Oily, greasy, fleecy
Shining, gleaming, streaming
Flaxen, waxen
Knotted, polka-dotted
Twisted, beaded, braided
Powdered, flowered, and confettied
Bangled, tangled, spangled, and spaghettied!

Oh say can you see
My eyes if you can
Then my hair's too short

Down to here
Down to there
Down to where
It stops by itself

They'll be ga ga at the go go
When they see me in my toga
My toga made of blond
Brilliantined
Biblical hair

My hair like Jesus wore it
Hallelujah I adore it
Hallelujah Mary loved her son
Why don't my mother love me?

Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow it
My hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair
Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow it
My hair

Old 04-30-2006, 10:42 PM   #43
Hospitality Queen

As far as tipping goes, depending upon service, you go 10%-15% for a cut and 15%-20%for a chemical job.

Think about it ladies. If you just got the most amazing cut/color you've ever had, couldn't you just go without a few starbuck's and give your stylist the extra $?
Old 04-30-2006, 10:57 PM   #44
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
As far as tipping goes, depending upon service, you go 10%-15% for a cut and 15%-20%for a chemical job.

Think about it ladies. If you just got the most amazing cut/color you've ever had, couldn't you just go without a few starbuck's and give your stylist the extra $?

For sure. Stylists don't make decent $$ unless they own their own buisness. You either get paided a crappy hourly wage with poop for benies or fork out big bucks to rent a chair and HOPE you have the clientel to pay for the rental and then some to live off of. That's why I don't do it anymore...

Once I got into the business, my tipping for EVERYTHING went up...
Old 05-01-2006, 04:57 AM   #45
Executive Chef

A local salon owner went from one site to a much grander site and increased the prices about 75%. I started going somewhere else. I can get a pedicure or a manicure, or a haircut at half the price in a just as good salon.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:59 AM   #46
Executive Chef

appreciate it

Thanks for the info on going to hair salon. Now I do know what I should give for work they do. I make it point to try to pay attention to amount of tip I give them. If they do a job well, they should be paid for it. People are not easy to please. There are times I went and couldn't wait to get home to change the style. I felt it was my fault since I didn't go to hairdresser on regular basis. Can't perform miracles!
Old 05-01-2006, 08:27 AM   #47
Everymom

OK, chiming in here. Everytime I find someone who can do my hair the way I want it done they MOVE! And its not like it has happened just once. So, I am wearing my hair much longer than I like, and am keeping my ear open for folks who really like their stylists.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:42 AM   #48
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Lucky me - my cousin works in a salon and does my hair and waxing. I don't know how I could afford it otherwise. She will only accept $20 a service. I usually visit her at the shop once a month. I love the way she cuts my hair. She has made some house calls for me too - gave me and my daughter an updo before as well as came to the house right after I had my son to cut my hair. She also gave my son his first haircut at the house. Like I said, I'm lucky.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:17 AM   #49
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
Just my two cents, although I worked as a hairdresser for quite a few years.

Fine hair isn't always oily. The thickness/thinness of your hair has nothing to do with your scalp's condition. It's what you do to it. Just as you take care of your skin, you must take care of your scalp. It's skin, afterall!

Use professional products. Store brand stuff will never do your hair justice. It's not the same product. Store brands have a lot more water in relation to the good stuff. And, their good stuff isn't the best quality. That's why you have to use so much to clean/condition your hair. A professional product will always give you better results.

Think of store brand being like a McDonald's hamburger, and the pro line is more of a 7% lean ground beef from a butcher, then grilled on a fire to perfection. Or, it's the chef's difference between using real vanilla extract vs. artificial vanilla flavoring. See the difference?

You will never get the best results from a home coloring job. Why? Because those products do not contain the needed levels of color/peroxide/amonia you need to acheive great results.

While we're on the subject, from experience in salons, yes, the pricier salons really do know their stuff. The cupon-type hair cutter places will hire someone right out of beauty school, no questions asked. They'll charge you about 10 bucks and send you on your way. A nicer salon will hire the newbie, but make them assist a top stylist for months (or years) until they can get the proper technique.

Laides, if you don't think your hair is gorgeous, try the salon in your city that you know may have higher prices, but has the best reputation. You know, a consulatation is generally free. Just ask their advice!

Okay, I'm climbing down off of my soapbox now.

Hey jkath, Thanks for the advice. Could you, or anyone else who understands this stuff, go into more detail as to how to take care of hair/scalp. I appreciate the analogy, but to be honest I just do not get it. I am thinking about shampoos, how can shampoo be so different? My stylist does not push her products, barely has them on display, she uses Scruples. I use Enforce for the gel product on my hair. Now let me repeat, I live 8 miles from the nearest town, and it has a pop. of 6000. We are not talking about ANY salons in this area. Can you give advice as to good shampoos that can be got at Walmart? I use Clairol stuff, is this okay? Another thing, my stylist says I have the healtiest hair of any of her clients, it must be the diet, I eat a disqustingly healthy diet. So I'm thinking, why do I need to change anything? But I want to understand hair care and scalp care and shampoos and what I can do in my limited area.

Thanks!!!
Beth
Old 05-01-2006, 12:51 PM   #50
Head Chef

My hair is very thick and spiral curly. On most days, when I don't wear it curly, I have to put oil in it and use a hairdryer brush to straighten it to a wavy type curl. I normally wear my hair long because otherwide it would just be out of control. I was born a blond and as I got older it turned into a dark brown. Now I put in blond highlights to lighten it back up.

I usually have my hair cut, colored and styled about once evey 3 to 4 months. It usually cost me $150. I have to wait until I go home to Oklahoma to have it done because my hair stylist there is the only one who can work with my hair the way I want it done.