"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-09-2008, 05:56 PM   #41
Head Chef

I bought a bag from angle ministrys for 20.00+ and it had a hole in with in two weeks
I now have severl heavy duty canvas bags that work just fine. And the green ones at our local store cost 1.50 and are real good.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:18 PM   #42
Master Chef

i get plastic & recycle them myself. great fer when my kitties were with me, as something to scoop litter into.

& i'm gonna try sewing my own bags.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #43
Master Chef

A friend of ours has a Green Store nearby that carries bags for the kitchen, small garbage pails, and dog clean-up that bio-degrade and are friendly to the environment. Right now it is just too expensive for me to do it, but as it gets more mainstream hopefully the price will come down and I can get rid of the plastic once and for all. For now recycling as much as possible and being smart about the ones I use (never thrown until completely stuffed for example) is the best I can do.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #44
Executive Chef

I have about 10 or so. One is specifically for cold items and the rest are in various sizes. I keep them in the trunk of my car all the time, so I always have them handy.

I use them for all shopping, too, not just the grocery store.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #45
Executive Chef

I have several and leave them in my car but I should get better about using them for all shopping not just groceries.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #46
Sous Chef

I should have mentioned yesterday the reason for getting paper bags to store newspapers in. Our schools have recycling bins in their parking lots. It's a way to put a little extra cash in their pockets. I'll store about six bags, put them in the trunk of my car, then give them to the schools.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:51 AM   #47
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by redkitty View Post
I have several and leave them in my car but I should get better about using them for all shopping not just groceries.
You're right about that. It dawned on me yesterday that places like Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, K-mart and many other stores use plastic bags, not just food stores. I keep a few on hand for lining wastebaskets but I don't need 4000 of them.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:07 AM   #48
Head Chef

I sent a stepson to a boarding school, and the laundry was processed in mesh bags. These are made to withstand the rigors of industrial laundry, and last forever. These could probably be found somewhere. I still use them 10 years later. One of my pet peeves in stores is the clerk who will put everything in plastic bags and then put the plastic in your bag. They just don't get it. Most recycling costs more than it saves, so, for me, the best answer is to avoid bags when possible (Bottled water, plastic bags, etc) Costco has the right idea. No bags at all. They recycle all their case lot boxes or use your bag, or give you your order loose, your choice.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:18 AM   #49
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
I sent a stepson to a boarding school, and the laundry was processed in mesh bags. These are made to withstand the rigors of industrial laundry, and last forever. These could probably be found somewhere. I still use them 10 years later. One of my pet peeves in stores is the clerk who will put everything in plastic bags and then put the plastic in your bag. They just don't get it. Most recycling costs more than it saves, so, for me, the best answer is to avoid bags when possible (Bottled water, plastic bags, etc) Costco has the right idea. No bags at all. They recycle all their case lot boxes or use your bag, or give you your order loose, your choice.
Costco sells most things in case lots so it's already packed in a cardboard box and/or sealed with clear wrap. No way on this green earth do I want my groceries packed into a cart loose without bags. As for putting a plastic bag inside a canvas bag, the only time our clerks to that is if it's a meat item , chicken especially, that could leak onto the canvas. You would never get the smell out of the bag. That's just good sense.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:38 AM   #50
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Costco sells most things in case lots so it's already packed in a cardboard box and/or sealed with clear wrap. No way on this green earth do I want my groceries packed into a cart loose without bags. As for putting a plastic bag inside a canvas bag, the only time our clerks to that is if it's a meat item , chicken especially, that could leak onto the canvas. You would never get the smell out of the bag. That's just good sense.
Actually, at the Costco where I shop, they don't. They sell large quantities 4# butter,2 large bottles ketchup or mustard. 2# Red Star yeast., wine is sold by the bottle, all were wholesaled in a larger packaged quantity. Meat is sold prepackaged and plastic bags are availalble and used in the meat department The boxes get hauled to the front and used. No bags. I get them to pack my food products in a box. I don't care whether those two bottles of ketchup, the wine bottle, or hard goods are packed in a box or not. Around here, many of the store clerks are teenagers, and they will package your purchases in a plastic bag then put it in paper, or your bag.