"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #81
Master Chef

I remember as a kid growing up on a military base overseas, kids under 16 were not allowed in the commissary even when accompanied by a parent. Of course, very young children were excepted. They had a waiting area in the front lobby. I remember sitting there patiently with other kids while our mothers shopped for groceries.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:14 AM   #82
Master Chef

me, too, roadfix

Old 08-09-2008, 08:17 AM   #83
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I remember as a kid growing up on a military base overseas, kids under 16 were not allowed in the commissary even when accompanied by a parent. Of course, very young children were excepted. They had a waiting area in the front lobby. I remember sitting there patiently with other kids while our mothers shopped for groceries.
Genius! You might have something that the people aren't really aware of. This could be a stroke of being considered a genius. To resolve a big issue like this would help so many including the parents. Have a portion of the store sectioned off for 'Kids Only'. Fill the room with everything they would like. I just wonder if the mother's would go for it?
Old 08-09-2008, 08:39 AM   #84
Master Chef

I sure would have..........all I had to do to make my son behave was threaten him with a trip to Sam's.......he abhorred staying in the "buggy".........but there was NO way that I was going to let him wander around in that place either...........he was difficult enough to keep up with.......but yes, having a small play center would sure be nice......we were in Ft. Richardson, Anchorage, Alaska, and they had a play station before entering the commissary and I was grateful as a kid not to have to look at toilet paper and different cuts of meat with my mom.........See what you can do, my dear............I'd certainly pay :)
Old 08-09-2008, 09:22 AM   #85
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
I sure would have..........all I had to do to make my son behave was threaten him with a trip to Sam's.......he abhorred staying in the "buggy".........but there was NO way that I was going to let him wander around in that place either...........he was difficult enough to keep up with.......but yes, having a small play center would sure be nice......we were in Ft. Richardson, Anchorage, Alaska, and they had a play station before entering the commissary and I was grateful as a kid not to have to look at toilet paper and different cuts of meat with my mom.........See what you can do, my dear............I'd certainly pay :)
When I go to the store I will ask the manager. He may question why I am asking when I am 'past' THAT time. However, if I had grandkids here would be blessing even more. Sad to say, my mind just can't concentrate when I hear small child causing the customers wanting to get out. Some mothers seem to just turn it off and think everyone else should. I just feel sorry about the situation at the time.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #86
Master Chef

yep, I hear ya..........Chris never whined..........I had too many big boy "toys" from the automotive dept. to keep him occupied.......was he ADD???? You betcha........had to keep him focused........full day's job until the age of 21...........but I can honestly say that neither of my children bothered other customers with crying, wailing, or whining...........did we take them out of the maelstrom???.......yes, at times but not often which was nice on their parts.........can only think of one time where we took my son out of a restaurant and it didn't last for long........he was an angel when I brought him back in............my granddaughter knows that if she acts up she is going outside so we've never had a problem with her either...........when you set standards with kids they rise to them.......if you expect them to behave most will........if they have a problem restraining themselves and sometimes being tired, cutting teeth, a cold coming on, they can't.........then it's understandable.......but we still took ours outside until they regained control..........or we went home.......which never happened.......man, it's hard being a parent isn't it?????
Old 08-12-2008, 09:56 AM   #87
Executive Chef

I have another one!

What's with eating the produce and stuff while shopping? I don't know what it is but it irks me.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:02 AM   #88
Master Chef

Oh Lord - how could I have forgotten that one!!! Must have just blocked it out.

Just recently a woman was eating cherries & turned to me to state that she couldn't believe how sour they were. So why the heck was she stuffing handfulls of them into her face? Testing?

Same thing with folks I've seen taking a cold drink, finishing it while they shop, & then throwing away the empty bottle before they hit the register. Or the mom who does the exact same thing when she opens up a small box of cookies for her screaming brats.

Folks - it's called STEALING, & contributes to the high prices the rest of the honest responsible populace has to pay.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:19 AM   #89
Master Chef

That they put the dairy and bread department all the way at the back of the store, opposite the end you enter from. I can't tell you how many times I just run to the store for those items. Granted I know its a marketing thing to get you to go past the other isles in hopes you'll be tempted to pick something up but it still oinks me off.

Another thing....I'm only 5'2" and they put some items so far up on the shelves and then don't constantly pull the items forward for us shorter people to reach. Ultimately, I have to hunt for someone to be so kind to get it down for me.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:24 AM   #90
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN View Post
That they put the dairy and bread department all the way at the back of the store, opposite the end you enter from. I can't tell you how many times I just run to the store for those items. Granted I know its a marketing thing to get you to go past the other isles in hopes you'll be tempted to pick something up but it still oinks me off.

Another thing....I'm only 5'2" and they put some items so far up on the shelves and then don't constantly pull the items forward for us shorter people to reach. Ultimately, I have to hunt for someone to be so kind to get it down for me.
I hear ya, I'm 5'1" and I have the same problem.