Guess what this is a photo of!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is neither one.

Since it's been a couple of days, and Alix got the closest, I'll declare Alix the winner. Post something up!

Here's what it is: This is a template that shows the actual hull diameter/size of the first submarine, the H. L. Hunley, to successfully sink an enemy ship in combat, the U.S.S. Housatonic.

I was in Charleston for this past weekend and fulfilled a 6-year dream to visit the Warren Lasch Conservation Center on the old naval base and see the Hunley. She was discovered in 1970, but wasn't raised until 2000. All of the original crew members were still aboard, and many mysteries were solved, while many still are unsolved. Seeing this piece of history was one of the most important things to me that I hadn't done yet, so I was *very* excited. You aren't allowed to take pictures up on the catwalk around the boat, but suffice it to say I was awestruck.

http://www.sa-ndt.com/indepth.htm
http://www.aviewofamerica.com/Categories/Museums/SC/hlhunley.htm

Here's a shot of her after she was raised before she was transported to the WLCC.

hunley2.jpg

And in the tank before the excavation:

fig4.gif

Yes, it was that small. They had 8 men in there. 5 died the first time it sank. 8 died, including its inventor, the second time it sank. The third time the crew died after sinking the Housatonic. They found them all in their positions, so there was no panic. One of the mysteries is if she sank, or if she was waiting on the bottom for the mayhem to settle down a bit and they all fell asleep from oxygen deprivation and suffocated.

I also made it to Magnolia Cemetery, where all three crews are interred, right after we left the WLCC.

OK, this one might be easy...or not.

What is this a picture of and WHERE is it?

Attachments

• handh.jpg
    handh.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
I will try to be ... I need time to get the photo uploaded - will post tomorrow am - Thanks Alix for a job well done -Great pic - only luck solved it - lol

Not a grinder....not a hot water bottle...You would most likely use it lying on its side...its is not for alcohol....Snoop Puss is the WARMEST so far

Back
Top Bottom