"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #21
Master Chef

I see, I just looked at her profile and found this out too. Thank you. I think the whole eastern block was messed up that way.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #22
Proud American

Yes, I am from Brasov, Romania. In Romania and in Ukraine, adopted children are not very welcomed into the society. You are right, CharlieD. I do thank God I am alive, for there was a time for me when that might not have been.

I was thrown away in a trash can when I was 2 or 3 days old. A man while walking his dog found me and put me to the hospital. I do not have any papers of my birth. All I have are the adoption papers my parents were required to have for me. January 3 may not be my real birthday. The hospital had to estimate this. Mamma said I was cold and sick when I was received to the hospital. The hospital also records that I was born before the nine months of pregnancy.

It took the hospital three months to make me healthy. Mamma was visiting to her brother, my Uncle Nicu, at the hospital and she would go to the section where the babies are to look at them and to wish she had a baby. She found me there. No one wanted me and I was to go to an orphanage. She told Papa of me, and they began the process to adopt me. Mamma and Papa have never understood how someone would be able to throw away a baby. Papa sometimes has the tears also of hearing a baby was thrown away. Mamma cannot speak of that very much, for it hurts her.

I am very sure that all of you are wonderful parents and you are very great people. You have shown this to me, and I am very grateful. I would like to say that if you could meet Mamma, Papa, and DA, you would know of them to be very wonderful parents and very great people just like you are.

I only have one thing to regret. I do not know who the man who found me was. I never had the opportunity to thank him for saving me. Mamma and Papa put notices in the newspapers to look for him, but no one answered to them. But I know that God knows who he is, and I always pray for this man.

I have two families now! My new family is here! I am very happy. I hope the African adoption goes very well. I wish all of you all the best in this life.

Your friend,
~Cat

Old 09-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Cat is from Romania, Charlie.
Was she born in Romania, or that is where her family is from and where she grew up? I'm just wondering if that is what the adoption stigma is over there, perhaps not being from where your family is from. Like if you were born in Georgia but adopted in the Ukraine.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Cat, you just answered my question.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #25
Proud American

Mamma and Papa are certain I was born in Romania.

Your friend,
~Cat
Old 09-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hope you can find the man who rescued you from that trashcan, Cat. What a horrible thing to do to a baby, puppy, kitten, any living thing!
Old 09-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #27
Proud American

Mamma and Papa put many notices in the papers but no one made a response.

I am grateful to this man. Yes, it is a terrible thing to do! I become very angry with puppies and kittens and babies being thrown away!

Life is much too precious to be thrown away. I was given a blessing of God to be here.

Your friend,
~Cat
Old 09-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #28
Head Chef

I meant to tell you that it is interesting that your mother found you in the hospital where your Uncle Nicu was being treated. You see in America a NICU is a neo-natal intensive care unit. It is a place where very sick newborn children are cared for.Well, I found it coincidental...or perhaps providential.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #29
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I meant to tell you that it is interesting that your mother found you in the hospital where your Uncle Nicu was being treated. You see in America a NICU is a neo-natal intensive care unit. It is a place where very sick newborn children are cared for.Well, I found it coincidental...or perhaps providential.
Those words put chills on me! I was in a special place for babies in danger. Oh I do not know what to say to this.

Thank you for this! I do love my uncle Nicu. Now I have words for his name which is very precious!

Thank you!
Your friend,
~Cat
Old 09-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
Yes, I am from Brasov, Romania. In Romania and in Ukraine, adopted children are not very welcomed into the society. You are right, CharlieD. I do thank God I am alive, for there was a time for me when that might not have been.

I was thrown away in a trash can when I was 2 or 3 days old. A man while walking his dog found me and put me to the hospital. I do not have any papers of my birth. All I have are the adoption papers my parents were required to have for me. January 3 may not be my real birthday. The hospital had to estimate this. Mamma said I was cold and sick when I was received to the hospital. The hospital also records that I was born before the nine months of pregnancy.

It took the hospital three months to make me healthy. Mamma was visiting to her brother, my Uncle Nicu, at the hospital and she would go to the section where the babies are to look at them and to wish she had a baby. She found me there. No one wanted me and I was to go to an orphanage. She told Papa of me, and they began the process to adopt me. Mamma and Papa have never understood how someone would be able to throw away a baby. Papa sometimes has the tears also of hearing a baby was thrown away. Mamma cannot speak of that very much, for it hurts her.

I am very sure that all of you are wonderful parents and you are very great people. You have shown this to me, and I am very grateful. I would like to say that if you could meet Mamma, Papa, and DA, you would know of them to be very wonderful parents and very great people just like you are.

I only have one thing to regret. I do not know who the man who found me was. I never had the opportunity to thank him for saving me. Mamma and Papa put notices in the newspapers to look for him, but no one answered to them. But I know that God knows who he is, and I always pray for this man.

I have two families now! My new family is here! I am very happy. I hope the African adoption goes very well. I wish all of you all the best in this life.

Your friend,
~Cat
It seems that you were lucky in more ways than one. There were absolutely dreadful stories in the 1990s and early in this century about the conditions children were enduring in Roumanian orphanages largely due to the previous government's ban on contraception which had lead to large numbers of abandoned babies.

I'm glad that you found a happy home with loving parents.

« A Poem | My photo »