Is a nurse or a doctor on duty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hydrogen peroxide. Many uses. Cheap, extremely long shelf life. A good "Off the Grid" chemical :LOL:. I haven't bought some for years. I bought some way back when it was supposedly good for dental health, diluted of course. Most dentists today probably recommend something else. Probably a good idea. I've never used it for cuts.

Last edited:
You dont need antibacterial soap.

If you want to I could put up a scishow kids episode how soap works.

Normal soap actually remove a lot of grime and bacteria.

I have packed many wounds with sugar. since my vet introduced me to doing that (something she learned at a vet conference). Hydrogen peroxide breaks the edges of the skin so it is difficult to make the edges to meet. I have spent many hours as a "vet tech" with my friend who is a vet, My choice for wound flushing is saline or distilled water. Sugar works, so does honey, but most people have white sugar in the house.I was convinced when I had to flush and pack the wounds on the dog that were to the bone. I did this for 5 days before the swelling went down enough to insert the drains (3 hours of surgery). Been there, done that, didn't spend 5 minutes on the Internet researching it--trusted my friend who a licensed vet.

Last edited:
I have packed many wounds with sugar. since my vet introduced me to doing that (something she learned at a vet conference). Hydrogen peroxide breaks the edges of the skin so it is difficult to make the edges to meet. I have spent many hours as a "vet tech" with my friend who is a vet, My choice for wound flushing is saline or distilled water. Sugar works, so does honey, but most people have white sugar in the house.I was convinced when I had to flush and pack the wounds on the dog that were to the bone. I did this for 5 days before the swelling went down enough to insert the drains (3 hours of surgery). Been there, done that, didn't spend 5 minutes on the Internet researching it--trusted my friend who a licensed vet.

We are getting off the grid remedies . From way back. Almost from the pyramid times.

Last edited:
We are getting off the grid remedies . From way back. Almost from the pyramid times.

Odd. I just read an article the other day about the Egyptians using honey for medicinal purposes. And sure enough I see a show on the findings if the Pyramids and how they used honey for not only medicinal purposes, but to help preserve the deceased so they could go onto the other world.

I also read somewhere that animals help heal themselves by licking their wounds. I see it so often in animal shows. I don't know if it was just instinct or someone told me to do it. But every time I stick my finger for blood for my sugar reading, I lick my finger and the bleeding stops immediately.

Sometimes there is something to those tales of yore.

But humans and dogs are not the same, what works for them doesnt always work for us and we dont heal as well as dogs do.

Badgers can get brain damage go into torpor for a while and come out fine, maybe we should do that too?

Yes, smoking can affect healing, especially in the extremities. ALL of the wound care docs I get reports from tell their patients to quit smoking so they'll heal better. Plastic surgeons that do skin grafts say the same thing. It affects the capillary blood supply and white cells getting to the wound area.

But humans and dogs are not the same, what works for them doesnt always work for us and we dont heal as well as dogs do.

Badgers can get brain damage go into torpor for a while and come out fine, maybe we should do that too?

I would rather be a bear. They can sleep winter through and come out in the spring. :LOL:

Mercola is not a reliable source of information.

+1

that and the Weston A. Price Foundation. It is mind boggling how much incorrect information those sites provide. But ever since I stopped participating in a homesteading website, I don't run into those sites anymore.

Yes, smoking can affect healing, especially in the extremities. ALL of the wound care docs I get reports from tell their patients to quit smoking so they'll heal better. Plastic surgeons that do skin grafts say the same thing. It affects the capillary blood supply and white cells getting to the wound area.

I had a plastic surgeon who refused to work on my leg because I am a smoker. I walked out of his office and found another surgeon. I walked out of the hospital a week later. I so wanted to go back to that first one and show him my leg.

I had a plastic surgeon who refused to work on my leg because I am a smoker. I walked out of his office and found another surgeon. I walked out of the hospital a week later. I so wanted to go back to that first one and show him my leg.

img_1505702_0_c333b9fbab76e590e5ddecb94ad8cece.gif

Kayelle, I have been smoking since I was ten years old. I am now in my late 70's. Even my doctors tell me that trying to quit now would most likely put too much stress on me mentally as well as physically. More stress that both my heart doctor and my PCP agrees than I could withstand.

True. However, if I remember correctly, sugar/honey binds with the bacteria/destroys it. I would have to go hunting for that and I am packing to return to Ontario.

FWIW, many of the heart medications that humans take were developed/ tested first for canines. The Newfoundland, because of it's congenital heart problems, has contributed a great deal to the medications used today by humans suffering from heart problems. We should all be grateful for the sacrifices canines have made to the medications that we as humans take to prolong/improve our lives. I can't remember how many dogs died while Banting and Best (Toronto) were trying to figure out how to develop insulin to treat diabetes, but their efforts definitely made a difference in many people's lives. Dogs and humans share a lot of similarities and that might be why they are considered man's best friend. No one knows enough to be a pessimist. Keep and open mind.

I'd say squeeze the pus out and let it heal on its own....
Don't squeeze. It will force the puss further into the wound.

I'm trying to remember what my grandmother used to do for a poultice. IIRC is was a piece of bread, soaked in hot water and held on with a bandage until it drew the puss out. Repeat as necesary. Also draws out hairs which are stuck in the skin (Grandfather was a barber of the old type and shaved clients as well as cutting their hair)

If you were in UK I'd suggest a visit to the Doctor but I know how expensive that is in the USA. What about asking the pharmacist? Are they allowed to advise on minor health matters? They are over here.

If you were in UK I'd suggest a visit to the Doctor but I know how expensive that is in the USA. What about asking the pharmacist? Are they allowed to advise on minor health matters? They are over here.

Yes, they are. That's a good suggestion. It will help a lot for someone knowledgeable to evaluate it in person.

Yes, they are. That's a good suggestion. It will help a lot for someone knowledgeable to evaluate it in person.

Yes. I find my pharmacists are often more knowledgeable than my doctor at times. They seem to keep up with the latest medical information.

Yes. I find my pharmacists are often more knowledgeable than my doctor at times. They seem to keep up with the latest medical information.
That's one reason why I love that my doctors are all professors at the medical school where I used to work. They all teach, do research and go to conferences to learn and present, so they're up to date.

So Charlie, how are you doing? Are you healing? Thinking of you.

Back
Top Bottom