"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-14-2010, 03:17 AM   #1241
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I started a couple books awhile back, but I put them aside and forgot them. I am now reading them in earnest, along with another. I am reading The Apocalypse Code, by Hank Hanegraaff, Living Organized, by Sandra Felton, and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, by C.S. Lewis. I've had the last one for a few years but had never read it. A couple years ago we bought our oldest grandson a book with the entire Narnia collection in it. Now I wish I had bought one for myself as well!

Barbara

Old 12-14-2010, 06:15 AM   #1242
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I finished The Scarpetta Factor and am reading another Kathy Reichs Death Du Jour.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:04 AM   #1243
Senior Cook

Decision Points, George W Bush
So Far very interesting.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:23 AM   #1244
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I started a couple books awhile back, but I put them aside and forgot them. I am now reading them in earnest, along with another. I am reading The Apocalypse Code, by Hank Hanegraaff, Living Organized, by Sandra Felton, and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, by C.S. Lewis. I've had the last one for a few years but had never read it. A couple years ago we bought our oldest grandson a book with the entire Narnia collection in it. Now I wish I had bought one for myself as well!

Barbara
I envy you, for never having read the Narnia series. I wonder what my adult brain would imagine on a brand new reading of the series. I've worn out at least 4-5 editions of the series over the years.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #1245
Senior Cook

My grandson is reading the narnia series right now - borrowing from our library at home. Maybe it's time I re-read. He's 10
Old 12-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #1246
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
The book I'm now reading is what I consider to be brain candy. Hey, don't we all need that sometime? The book I'm reading aloud to my ladies is 'tis by Frank McCourt. I've read all three of his books and one of his brother's, so ... well, great books. The lady I'm reading it too tends to forget it isn't fiction (she has this thing about asking me to read Irish authors, and doesn't realize this is not fiction). She keeps telling me, "oh, that's an exaggeration" Huh? When I read another book to her which was about Irish life and immigration to the US, she didn't have a problem with it. It was fiction (I'd have to look it up to remember what novel it was); but for some reason she can't stand fact. This is a little crazy, because this woman almost always wants to have me read nothing but history and biography. But for some reason Frank McCourt's memoirs of his first years in the U.S. are bugging her. She's quite a liberal, and very pro-Irish, but for some reason this is bothering her. "That couldn't have happened, not really, Claire, what do you think." Duh, We're reading about his experiences. She wants me to switch to Maya Angelou, and all I can say is that if shedoesn't like Frank's life, she sure as hck won't like Maya's (yeah, I've read her autobiography).
I can understand her difficulty with Frank McCourt's books. I had a hard reading them and remembering what years they were written about. So much of the lifestyle he grew up in was behind the times with regards to technology. It seemed to be happening more in the 19th century than the 20th!

I just finished C.S. Lewis Space Trilogy and have Dan Brown's Lost Symbol on deck to start tonight.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #1247
Chef Extraordinaire

i would urge you all to read. "the kennedy detail" it is an insight into history. much, much more than we knew at the time. an interesting visit into the private lives of very famous people.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:54 PM   #1248
Chef Extraordinaire

just finished an autobiography by barbara walters. she has always been someone i like to watch. this book is about her family and career. very interesting. called audition
Old 01-16-2011, 12:04 AM   #1249
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

"Gone, Baby, Gone" by Dennis Lehane, in the library. "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," by Douglas Adams, on my Kindle.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:31 AM   #1250
Head Chef

I never even knew what a library was until I was in the sixth grade (went to public school too!) To this day I feel the lack. So a couple of times a year I read a children's book. Just now I am reading "Across the Wide and Lonesome Prairie". It's a story about pioneer life. ( You cannot imagine what a wonderous feeling it was to walk into a library the first time and finding that I could check out as many of those wonderous things as my little heart desired. I think I got about 30 the first time. No exaggeration.)