Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Right now I'm enthralled with and old epic book of nearly a thousand pages, called "From Sea to Shining Sea" by James Alexander Thom, one of my favorite authors. I can hardly put it down. Here's something about it.

In one generation, the Clark family of Virginia fought for our nation's independence, and explored, conquered, and settled the continent from sea to shining sea. This powerfully written book recreates the warm life of the family, the dangers of the battlefield, the grueling journeys across an untamed wilderness, and the soul-stirring Lewis and Clark Expedition. This mighty epic is a fitting tribute to the wisdom and courage of Ann Rogers Clark, her husband John, and the ten sons and daughters they nurtured and inspired.

Right now I'm enthralled with and old epic book of nearly a thousand pages, called "From Sea to Shining Sea" by James Alexander Thom, one of my favorite authors. I can hardly put it down. Here's something about it.

In one generation, the Clark family of Virginia fought for our nation's independence, and explored, conquered, and settled the continent from sea to shining sea. This powerfully written book recreates the warm life of the family, the dangers of the battlefield, the grueling journeys across an untamed wilderness, and the soul-stirring Lewis and Clark Expedition. This mighty epic is a fitting tribute to the wisdom and courage of Ann Rogers Clark, her husband John, and the ten sons and daughters they nurtured and inspired.

Thanks a lot, Kayelle - that sounds really good. The Lewis & Clark expedition in particular is always fascinating.

I'm currently reading another Iris Johansen, Chasing the Night. I'm working through the whole series, and this was the first book had I read. There are three more books that I'll be ordering soon, and maybe I can take a break from the whole series.

I'm also taking a break, reading Sacred Trust by Meg O'Brien.

I haven't been posting about my reading lately as I'm going through books like crazy.

Last edited:
Sharon T and Tinlizzie, thanks for a good idea. I read a lot, picking up a half-dozen or so books from the library every two weeks. I pretty much forget one upon reading the next (unless I'm reading nonfiction for the purpose of learning something, then I take my time and try to remember the salient points). But writing the titles, then going back and giving a thumbnail sketch and a thumbs-up-thumbs-down might help me remember better, and you guys might enjoy.

Just got back from the library:

An Unmarked Grave by Charles Todd
the Dog Stars by Peter Heller
NW by Zadie Smith
Criminal by Karin Slaughter
Odd Apocolypse by Dean Koontz
Breakdown by Sara Paretsky

The latter I won't bother with a thumbnail sketch, if you're a mystery lover, you probably have read the V.I. Warshawski novels and know they're set in Chicago. I've already started this one, because I usually start with the "lightest" novels and work up to the ones that require more thought!

Sharon T and Tinlizzie, thanks for a good idea. I read a lot, picking up a half-dozen or so books from the library every two weeks. I pretty much forget one upon reading the next (unless I'm reading nonfiction for the purpose of learning something, then I take my time and try to remember the salient points). But writing the titles, then going back and giving a thumbnail sketch and a thumbs-up-thumbs-down might help me remember better, and you guys might enjoy.

NW by Zadie Smith

The latter I won't bother with a thumbnail sketch, if you're a mystery lover, you probably have read the V.I. Warshawski novels and know they're set in Chicago. I've already started this one, because I usually start with the "lightest" novels and work up to the ones that require more thought!

And thank you, Claire & Zhizara - the more books, the merrier.

I've been reading (well, listening to - I like audiobooks) My Lobotomy by Howard Dully

I haven't decided if I'm going to finish it yet, so far it's pretty annoying (all it is is him going on about how his childhood wasn't fair & how his step brother never got in trouble & had all these awesome things he didn't have.)
I'm hoping it picks up

Just finished A Grave Talent by Laurie R. King. I thought it was very well written. This is the first of hers I have read, but it won't be the last.

Flashback by Dan Simmons. I'm just under halfway through and already ready for it to be over. It's decent, just holding my attention do well.

"People Trying To Be Good", Sanford Phippen.
Easy, Entertaining, Free read from Amazon.

When you have the time, Sharon, would you mind giving us brief thumbnails? TIA.

Here are some thumbnail descriptions, but really you'd do better to look up the descriptions on Amazon or Goodreads or such! Just wanted to share what I've been reading... :)
14 – by Peter Clines - Another reviewer labeled this one "A riveting apocalyptic mystery in the style of LOST" - which is what made ME read it. It's a little comic-book like (but it's not a graphic novel) - just a fun, fast read.

Dare Me by Megan Abbott - This one was a rather disturbing look into the hearts of American teenage girls on a cheerleading team. I kept saying, 'Oh, THAT would never happen..." and kept on reading to see how it would be resolved.

The Age of Miracles by Karen Walker - This one is particularly good - about what happens to a 10-year-old girl and her family and friends when the rotation of the earth suddenly begins to slow. It is an unusually realistic narrative, as end-of-the world novels go ...

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - I've known for a while that teenagers love to read John Green's books - now I now why. It's about teenagers with cancer - and so much more.

Tell the Wolves I’m Home by Carol Rifka Brunt - The narrator of this story is a teenager, too. Set in the 80's, it's a beautiful story of 14-yr-old Hazel, who loses the person who understands her best - her uncle Finn, a famous artist, who dies of Aids. This book is about art and love and loneliness and redemption...

NW by Zadie Smith
Nothing quite like a pile of books from the library! Thanks for sharing your list. I've read Paretsky and Slaughter and have just downloaded the Koontz book to listen to - I like those Odd Thomas books! I've added the others to my list of books to "look into"! Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom